Recipe Cold Noodle Salad

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:05 AM
I really like this as a side, by itself as a meal or a snack.

Ingredients
15 ounces dried soba noodles. I also will use thin spaghetti
1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
juice from one lime
zest of one lime
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
1 cup finely grated carrot
1/4 cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts
Chopped fresh cilantro (I add this, to taste when I serve)

Directions
1) In a large pot, cook soba noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse noodles with cold water, and set aside.
2) Pour into a large bowl the sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and lime juice. Mix in lime zest, brown sugar, garlic, and red pepper flakes; stir until sugar dissolves. Toss in carrots, peanuts, and cilantro. Again I add the cilantro when served.
3) Cut noodles into 3-inch lengths. Stir into dressing mixture. Cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
4) Toss salad again before serving. If dry, splash with soy sauce and vinegar. Serve cold.

I don't know why but I never thought of eating noodles (meaning Asian noodles not pasta) in a salad. I've made pasta salads of course. Sesame oil is one of those magic ingredients I think. I think my vegan son would like this.

I don't know why but I never thought of eating noodles (meaning Asian noodles not pasta) in a salad. I've made pasta salads of course. Sesame oil is one of those magic ingredients I think. I think my vegan son would like this.

Its very tasty and has a little bit of a bite from the pepper flakes. Lately, I have been pulsing dried, pequin chilis in the spice grinder instead of buying red pepper flakes.

@CraigC Still now i didn't eat cold noodle salad. Thanks for giving ingredients & how to cook that.Shall i use olive oil??

Olive oil will not give that umami flavor this dish gets from the sesame oil. IMO, the sesame oil makes the dish. Without it the dish loses the flavor profile I want. If I want to use olive oil for a noodle salad, I would lean toward an Italian version. Maybe a version with thin spaghetti, pearl mozzarella, grape tomatoes and fresh basil either torn or chiffonade with a white balsamic vinaigrette. Olives would work well also. Serve with crostini that has been rubbed with raw garlic and then fresh tomato.

Thanks Craig, I love noodles, wife doesn't so I hardly get them. I find sesame oil too strong for me, I threw the last lot out. It overwhelmed everything.

Russ

Thanks Craig, I love noodles, wife doesn't so I hardly get them. I find sesame oil too strong for me, I threw the last lot out. It overwhelmed everything.

Russ

I use it to pan fry the pork meatballs I make for Banh Mi. They just wouldn't be the same without it.

Back
Top Bottom