Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Bananas and Plantain

Are they very firm? The reason I ask is I have never seen the black color on plantains that haven't turned yellow already. Like in the reference picture @morning glory posted. You see the green ones, the yellow ones that are beginning to get black and the ones that have a lot of black which some are almost completely ripe.
Yes, they are very firm, almost like sweet potato in texture, and very difficult to peel. There is some discolouration of the flesh in places - black marks running through it. Are they poor examples?

Yes, they are very firm, almost like sweet potato in texture, and very difficult to peel. There is some discolouration of the flesh in places - black marks running through it. Are they poor examples?

Probably got rough treatment during shipment. Do you know where they originated? Green plantains have tough peels and we use a knife for the job. As for what to make, google Cuban, Dominican, Puerto Rican, and Caribbean plantain dishes. I am unfamiliar with their use in Mexican cooking.

IMG_0875a.jpg

Jollof rice with tostones (twice fried plaintain), served with chicken stuffed with chorizo.

Recipe to follow.

8D50A008-CCA9-4B7F-9594-3B6D6CB58ABF.jpeg

Chicken Mofongo - recipe added!

I cannot properly convey just how transformational this particular recipe was. I feel like I’ve discovered a new frontier in cooking. I hope that ingredients - which feature a strong Cuban influence - will give you some idea of how amazingly delicious this is.

Last edited:
I meant to write that the recipe features a strong CUBAN influence. This is what happens when you use voice-to-text late at night and don't check your spelling. :oops:

I think the dish originated in Puerto Rico. What did you use as a pilon to mash the partially cook plantains, a molcajete?

I meant to write that the recipe features a strong CUBAN influence. This is what happens when you use voice-to-text late at night and don't check your spelling. :oops:

I did wonder... :laugh:

Tried using voice to text on the MacBook and it was so garbled that I gave up. Maybe I should persevere. It would save a lot of time.

I think the dish originated in Puerto Rico. What did you use as a pilon to mash the partially cook plantains, a molcajete?
I considered using a mortar and pestle that I bought in Mexico a few years ago. It's a decent size for what it is, but small for the scale (I would have had to split the batch into at least 4 portions to get everything smashed up). That, and it was approaching midnight, and I didn't feel like managing a messy cleanup, so I just used a potato masher and metal bowl. Next time, when I feel a bit more inspired, I'll give that a go.

Let us not forget the humble baked banana - one of the easiest desserts you will ever make. Simply pop a whole ripe banana in a hot oven and wait until the skin goes black (about 12 to 15 mins). Slit and eat with a spoon straight out of the skin with whatever accompaniments you like. But its fine on its own. Its a great one for kids.

Not an entry here but worth a mention, I think.

Back
Top Bottom