Recipe Cretons: French Canadian Pork Spread

Rocklobster

Legendary Member
Local time
1:00 AM
It's that time of year again..this pork spread is something like pate' but quite simple to make..It is traditionally eaten on toast for breakfast, but we've come to add it to the appetizer table at family functions..I usually make it and send family home with some otherwise I'll eat it all..

1 lb ground pork
1 cup milk
1 small onion diced
2-3 garlic cloves minced
salt and pepper
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of ground allspice
1/4 cup bread crumbs

Soften onion and garlic with a bit of oil for 5 minutes. Add pork, brown and break it up..add milk and spices, then some salt and pepper to taste once it is cooked enough to sample..put lid on pot and simmer for an hour. Turn off heat, add bread crumbs, stir in well, then check your salt and pepper again..let cool and add to ramekins or bowls..chill overnight, at least. Spread it on your favorite cracker or bread with a side of mustard and some pickles..it freezes well also..
49192904_277241663146312_5787540565335736320_n.jpg

That would be your choice..naturally, it would be more rich with a fattier mince, but you can still obtain a good consistency with leaner pork.. It's in the refrigerator chilling so Ill post the finished spreadable product tomorrow..

Ah, rillettes! I've never tried the traditional pork version but it looks lovely - feel free to send some over! Our local deli stocks duck rillettes, which I adore. This week they also had goose rillettes which seemed appropriate for Christmas, so a pot awaits in the fridge.

Ah, rillettes! I've never tried the traditional pork version but it looks lovely - feel free to send some over! Our local deli stocks duck rillettes, which I adore. This week they also had goose rillettes which seemed appropriate for Christmas, so a pot awaits in the fridge.

I hadn't realised that this was rillettes which I've eaten in France, many a time in the past!

Well, they are basically the same, but they are also different..rilettes are usually made with meat cooked in a broth with other ingredients such as mirepoix, then drained and packed..the finished result is more of a shredded meat spread..as cretons are more basic and made with ground meat, and all of the pot ingredients are saved and ultimately go together to make the finished product..the texture is more grainy and the flavor milder..

Back
Top Bottom