Defrosting in the Microwave?

dashboardc33

Veteran
Local time
6:13 AM
This is one thing that I cannot stand doing. My parents have always thawed things out quickly by putting it on the defrost mode in the microwave. I just think it is bad for the meat and a great way to spread germs. I think it tastes a lot different too. The only way I will thaw things out is by putting the meat in the fridge the night before or running it under cold water. I also know people who will thaw things out by running the meat under hot water and I cannot stand doing that either. Anyone else think the same way as I do?

how exactly is it a great way of spreading germs? you have frozen the meat. germs usually die at freezer temperatures, it is one of the reasons they are so successful as a food preservative method.
So where is the problem?

You're right, defrosting in the fridge is the proper way to do it. But as long as the meat is cooked immediately after being defrosted in the microwave, bacteria levels are not something you have to worry about.

I'd be more concerned with the uneven defrosting throughout the meat that the microwave causes. You can end up with it semi frozen on the inside and half cooked on the outside.

I could, but I don't use the microwave for defrosting. It tends to start cooking the edges of the food too prematurely!! :mad: :stop:

Unless you plan on eating it straight out of the microwave, it should be fine. That's why the defrost option is there. I think it's safe to assume that microwaves wouldn't have that option unless they were capable of doing the job...

Some defrosts are fine in the microwave (like meat you intend to brown anyways, so it can cook a bit) but with any meal you want the full freshness out of, let it thaw in the fridge /under some hot water in the sink for awhile and let it air out for a sec. You'll be happy you did! And your tastebuds too!

Not that I do , but if you set your timer on defrost and do it bit by bit you can defrost meats without it changing its form, but never set the timer for to long!

I have always found bread to be the worst after a microwave defrost [unless you need something to repair your shoes with] But never really had any trouble with meat so long as it goes straight from microwave to oven.

Defrosting meat in the microwave starts the meat to cook before it thaws out. If I am making ground beef for something like spaghetti I start to cook the meat while it is still frozen. I generally do not defrost my meat, I just cook it longer to allow for the fact that the meat started out frozen. It works.

Cooking ground beef while still frozen make the meat tough. But long slow simmering in a tomato sauce or a brown gravy will tame and soften it up. :wink:

Last edited:
I personally don't like it because it never appears to defrost evenly. But I can see why people do it and I'm not completely against it so in case of emergency I might do it. But if I have time to plan ahead then I will defrost meat in the fridge.

Ground beef or turkey is usually the only meat I cook frozen. I have taken a chicken or two covered them with foil and stuck them in the oven frozen and it was ok. I do try to plan for the meals but get caught short on time or the need to cook.

Defrosting in the microwave always starts the cooking process one way or another. At least my microwave does that with everything I've tried. If I've forgot to take something out the day before & I need to quick thaw it's a cold water bath in a Ziploc that I'll use before the microwave. I tend to dislike the microwave in general so I avoid using it for that reason as well.

Defrosting in the microwave always starts the cooking process one way or another. At least my microwave does that with everything I've tried. If I've forgot to take something out the day before & I need to quick thaw it's a cold water bath in a Ziploc that I'll use before the microwave. I tend to dislike the microwave in general so I avoid using it for that reason as well.

Nope, I don't like defrosting things in the microwave.
Since I vacuum seal all of my meats, I take the meat from the freezer, & while it is still sealed up in the vacuum sealed bag and put it in a large mixing bowl with some luke warm water and let it sit there in the sink for a little while, & Bang!! Boom, it's thawed out with only a little lump that might still be frozen in the middle! And no water can ever get at the meat as long as it remains sealed up in the bag!

It it is a very large cut of meat, such as ribs or a chicken that's going to be used the next day, I leave it out for a while and put it in the fridge while it is still cold. :wink:

Last edited:
I could, but I don't use the microwave for defrosting. It tends to start cooking the edges of the food too prematurely!! :mad: :stop:

This! That's the main issue for me, if you;re not careful, you end up with chicken breasts that are rock solid frozen in the moddle with cooked edges. I just prefer to take out what I need in the morning and let it defrost naturally.

Back
Top Bottom