Defrosting in the Microwave?

This! That's the main issue for me, if you;re not careful, you end up with chicken breasts that are rock solid frozen in the moddle with cooked edges. I just prefer to take out what I need in the morning and let it defrost naturally.

You're right!
Now if something from the freezer was already cooked, such as spaghetti sauce, beef or fruit turnovers or gravy, yeah, I'd just go on & reheat it, since it is going to be eaten hot anyway. :wink:

Well I have long wondered about defrosting in the microwave but I have never tried it. I always felt it would start the cooking process and I would not want that. After reading the posts here I still don't think I will be using this method to defrost my meat.

Cooking ground beef while still frozen make the meat tough. But long slow simmering in a tomato sauce or a brown gravy will tame and soften it up. :wink:

This is what I do, but I'm not afraid of defrosting it beforehand though and cooking it a slight bit. You're still going to dice it up/simmer it in some type of sauce be it tomato or manwich, or whatever else you can picture. I just wouldn't do this if you intend to use the meat and have it hold together. Even with eggs/breading, defrosting in the microwave meat is a hard beast to tame. I'd rather just let it sit in a pile of hot water and defrost slowly over time with refilling the sink. Same with porkchops/other meats. Hot water thaw = win.

I will never ever defrost from the microwave ever again. I have tried it once and once is all it took for me to say eww never again. The meat I used to defrost in the microwave was chicken, It seemed to partially cook the meat and turned it a grey color. Grey is not a normal color for meat. It also was a bit rubbery and had a way different taste than chicken. It was rather gross and I will never do it again. The only reason I tried this was because I was in a hurry to get something made for dinner. I normally defrost my meat in the fridge or in a zip lock bag in cool water.

Chicken is a fickle thing to defrost, and especially if you don't babysit the microwave poke at it. Definitely not a meat type you want to defrost that method. Zip lock bag + cool water to lukewarm water is the best idea. People try that method and use super scalding hot water, and it turns out just as bad as an unwatched microwave plate I find. You just have to find that happy medium.

Back
Top Bottom