Different types of chorizo

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:17 AM
[Mod.edit: This post and several following posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

So as many people from the Americas know, Mexican chorizo and Spanish chorizo are completely different. Mexican chorizo cooks up loose like regular "bulk" sausage and cooks into textured clumps, while Spanish chorizo is a cured sausage that has more of a texture like that of salami or pepperoni (with different seasonings/spices, obviously).

Our local Mexican restaurants have a great queso dip with chorizo called Queso Fundido. It's wonderful Mexican cheese blend with sauteed lumps of chorzio mixed in. I was so excited to try to make this at home since we haven't dined inside of a restaurant in over 3 years, so I bought some Cacique (a popular Mexican brand of foods that makes a variety of cheeses, etc.) chorizo. The chorizo tube had a "best if used by" date of January 1, 2022, so it was fresh. Their cheeses have always been quite nice, BTW.

Hubby had dental surgery several days ago so the idea of eating crispy foods was out of the question, so no crisp tortilla chips with dip, I figured. I was making chicken macaroni and cheese tonight with crumbled bacon topping, so hubby suggested cooking the chorizo and then using that as a topping instead. Great idea, right?

Can anyone say "epic fail"? There have been times when my food was lacking so deplorably that no one here knows about it, LOL. Yes, most of those experiences occurred well before I became a forum member here, but I would never post photos of food that I found to be mediocre or less, either in taste or in photos. Why bother? And if I did post photos, many of our kind forum members would have hit the like button out of sympathy...or something. In the South USA, when someone says, "Oh well she did the best she could, bless her heart..." Well the bless her heart thing isn't being kind at all, LOL. As in, "Wow, can you believe she wore that dress to church? She looks like a spotted cow standing next to a barn and a tractor. Bless her heart." So yeah.

Anyway, I started cooking the Mexican chorizo. And it had a weird texture, it was like a pate and didn't clump up. It very much reminded me of the texture of an oily pate. I have no idea what was in this Cacique chorizo other than it was made from pork products. After about 20 minutes of cooking, it still very much had that mushy texture and was not crumbly like I expected. I tasted some of it. It reminded me of Taco Bell hamburger meat from the 1970s that they used for their tacos (I haven't eaten a Taco Bell taco since 1976 for this very reason, no idea if it has gotten any better since then).

So all of that chorizo went into the garbage and I ended up using bacon for a topping for the mac-n-cheese like I always do. I am still chapped about it, my husband was saying that I should just get over it, not much money invested, but to me, even a couple of dollars wasted on inferior food is a waste of my time and a waste of resources.

Just thought I would share. :thumbsdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
So as many people from the Americas know, Mexican chorizo and Spanish chorizo are completely different. Mexican chorizo cooks up loose like regular "bulk" sausage and cooks into textured clumps, while Spanish chorizo is a cured sausage that has more of a texture like that of salami or pepperoni (with different seasonings/spices, obviously).

Our local Mexican restaurants have a great queso dip with chorizo called Queso Fundido. It's wonderful Mexican cheese blend with sauteed lumps of chorzio mixed in. I was so excited to try to make this at home since we haven't dined inside of a restaurant in over 3 years, so I bought some Cacique (a popular Mexican brand of foods that makes a variety of cheeses, etc.) chorizo. The chorizo tube had a "best if used by" date of January 1, 2022, so it was fresh. Their cheeses have always been quite nice, BTW.

Hubby had dental surgery several days ago so the idea of eating crispy foods was out of the question, so no crisp tortilla chips with dip, I figured. I was making chicken macaroni and cheese tonight with crumbled bacon topping, so hubby suggested cooking the chorizo and then using that as a topping instead. Great idea, right?

Can anyone say "epic fail"? There have been times when my food was lacking so deplorably that no one here knows about it, LOL. Yes, most of those experiences occurred well before I became a forum member here, but I would never post photos of food that I found to be mediocre or less, either in taste or in photos. Why bother? And if I did post photos, many of our kind forum members would have hit the like button out of sympathy...or something. In the South USA, when someone says, "Oh well she did the best she could, bless her heart..." Well the bless her heart thing isn't being kind at all, LOL. As in, "Wow, can you believe she wore that dress to church? She looks like a spotted cow standing next to a barn and a tractor. Bless her heart." So yeah.

Anyway, I started cooking the Mexican chorizo. And it had a weird texture, it was like a pate and didn't clump up. It very much reminded me of the texture of an oily pate. I have no idea what was in this Cacique chorizo other than it was made from pork products. After about 20 minutes of cooking, it still very much had that mushy texture and was not crumbly like I expected. I tasted some of it. It reminded me of Taco Bell hamburger meat from the 1970s that they used for their tacos (I haven't eaten a Taco Bell taco since 1976 for this very reason, no idea if it has gotten any better since then).

So all of that chorizo went into the garbage and I ended up using bacon for a topping for the mac-n-cheese like I always do. I am still chapped about it, my husband was saying that I should just get over it, not much money invested, but to me, even a couple of dollars wasted on inferior food is a waste of my time and a waste of resources.

Just thought I would share. :thumbsdown:

What you got from the "tube" of Cacique chorizo is pretty much normal. It does cook out to a consistency similar to Taco Bell ground beef. The pork parts are ground up pretty fine, and it renders a lot of fat. Not an attractive "topping."

CD

What you got from the "tube" of Cacique chorizo is pretty much normal. It does cook out to a consistency similar to Taco Bell ground beef. The pork parts are ground up pretty fine, and it renders a lot of fat. Not an attractive "topping."

CD
Yeah, well whatever they are serving at the Mexican restaurants in my area is much different and has a great texture. It's more like an Italian sausage (minus the casing and with a different seasoning). In hindsight, I should have conferred with my Mexican son-in-law in Texas and asked him what to use. I am thinking that Cacique has many fine products but their chorizo just downright sucks.

CD
The taste was inferior too.

The taste was inferior too.

Your local restaurants in Akron, Ohio are probably using regular ground pork, with chorizo spices. That what it sounds like from your description.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Mexican chorizo.

CD

With the wrong texture of chorizo, I can imagine. What a shame! With queso fundido, you definitely need something with texture - like minced meat - rather than smooth - like some German sausages.
I´m sure there must be some other places where you can source chorizo in Ohio, though.

I don't know how "authentic" it is, but we can get Mexican chorizo here from the big national brand Johnsonville. I'm betting that would work for you, JAS_OH1, and I'd think you could find that there. It's everywhere around here, even Walmart.

" Thread of Shame" and "Chorizos" ?
Go for it - I´ve got no idea how to start a new thread!
Well MG already moved my posts to this chorizo thread. And I didn't take photos of my catfood, lol. But next time I have ugly food that doesn't taste good, I'll take cringeworthy photos and post them in a new thread.

" Thread of Shame" and "Chorizos" ?
Go for it - I´ve got no idea how to start a new thread!

Click on 'post thread' top right of the home screen. The rest is pretty obvious. But you have already posted new threads! Your recipe here is a thread. Recipe Mushrooms Himalaya.

Ok - so I´ll kick off with some Venezuelan "chorizos" - although I´m pretty sure almost all of them can be found in other countries, too.
First up, " Chorizo de Ajo" ( Garlic Sausage), made with ground pork and planty of garlic. Great for the BBQ.
Then there´s a "Chorizo Ahumado" (smoked Sausage) which is the same pork, but coloured with annato/onoto/achiote and red bell pepper.
The " Chorizo Parrillero" is a straightforward, thick pork sausage, designed specially for the BBQ.
And finally, there´s a "Chorizo Carupanero" -from Carúpano, along the Eastern coast of Venezuela, which uses pork, spices, sweet chile pepper, onions , oregano and black pepper.
This company probably makes the best here. Lots of folks love a "morcilla" (blood sausage) as well.
Montserratina bangers for the grill

Back
Top Bottom