Different types of chorizo

This is the only Chorizo I can find in Cowboyville, and I don't care for it, at all!
Pork Chorizo | Cacique® Inc.
It goes for less than $2USD for a 10 ounce chub.
I've never tried the Spanish-style, but I'll keep looking ...
Yeah cacique I only tried once and it was slimy mush. It was Mexican style. I do like Mexican chorizo but not that brand. Their cheeses are good though.

Okay, cool. I like Johnsonville products. It's hard to get andouille and other "different" authentic sausages up here beyond the kielbasa and Italian sausage. Glad Johnsonville is pulling through for us!
Here’s a pic of J’ville chorizo, waiting for someone to take it home. I’ve also seen it in bulk/uncased:

Two more pics of that chorizo, just so you can see the texture:
View attachment 80836

View attachment 80837

As you can see, it cooks up like ground beef or Italian sausage.
Perfect! Yeah, that Cacique was the texture of dog food, never again will I buy that. The chorizo I got from Wild Fork foods online on my last delivery looks pretty good from what I can tell (it's still frozen in the cryovac package). I will probably give it a try in the next week or so. If I don't like it, I will source some elsewhere. I wish we had Kroger here (guessing that's where you found yours). I will be in some Meijer's stores this week working on a market research project so maybe I will check to see if they have it in stock there.

This was at Meijer:

Not Johnsonville, but they had that. That taco sausage stuff that is Johnsonville…never seen that anywhere except Meijer’s.

I did find this at Marc’s, which is a small Cleveland-based chain making inroads down this way:

I wonder if that’s something they might have near you, JAS_OH1?

This was at Meijer:
View attachment 80867
Not Johnsonville, but they had that. That taco sausage stuff that is Johnsonville…never seen that anywhere except Meijer’s.

I did find this at Marc’s, which is a small Cleveland-based chain making inroads down this way:
View attachment 80868

I wonder if that’s something they might have near you, JAS_OH1?
There's also the alternative of making a chorizo blend and making your own. I do this for a couple of recipes throughout the year out of convenience, cost and quality control. It's very easy as well.

Just looking at the picture of the chorizo, it seems a bit too "wet" to me. I´d say Mexican chorizo (in Mexico) is a bit drier - just an impression.

I can purchase chorizo in all 3 large supermarkets where I live. I can get the dried and cured at the deli counter which is in the Spanish tradition and some are imported from Spain. It appears Europe follow this style of chorizo generally speaking as well. In the fresh section of meats is the uncured from either a variety of manufacturers or in house where the supermarkets make a rendition of chorizo.

The fresh chorizo in North America which includes Canada generally replicate the Mexican variation which is where it started in America and what most here are use to, but again both cured and fresh are available. Spain use mostly smoked and sweet paprika along with oregano and garlic and for the most part are not as spicy as the Mexican. In Mexico you can get red, green and seco. Mexico use chili's and spices. For the red it's usually dried ancho for the green is generally poblano and/or serrano and you'll find cumin, Mexican oregano, cilantro, garlic, parsley that kind of thing. Seco is made with Mexican ingredients but is cured replicating Spanish chorizo.

Back to the supermarkets here. It looks like regular sausage for the most part and depending on the recipe will have a wide variation in flavour and wetness. All 3 supermarkets in my area have in house chorizo made in the Mexican style and why they resemble a regular sausage. All 3 are hopelessly inept in replicating anything that would come out of Mexico and the manufacturers, not much better. I suggest anyone that is intrigued and like a Mexican style chorizo to take the time to do some due diligence and research 5 or 6 recipes from sites you trust then formulate a recipe of those ingredients and purchase fresh pork either ground or preferably to grind your own if you have that capacity. I also use smoked paprika and corriander in my recipe, so it's basically up to you. This is what I do and I highly recommend anyone that is inclined and makes food from scratch that this will be far superior to anything you'll ever find in a supermarket. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom