Difficult to find ingredients

There was this article from Tesco PLC saying they were going to stock it https://www.tescoplc.com/news/news-releases/2012/tesco-launches-british-rose-veal/. Our local dark store stocks Finest veal sirloin - don't know whether this is the same.
I would like to see more rose veal, we have a friend who has a dairy herd and in the last couple of years he has started to bring on the male calves for ethical veal. Instead of the usual practice of slaughtering them after birth which for him was not just a huge waste, but something that distressed him.

As for the recipe that wanted Italian pork sausage meat, it was on the Long Weekends episode in Bologna. I have checked iPlayer and already you cannot get it now. I have noted the recipe down as Taglietelle with Salcice sauce, if that helps. What would you think about simply using pork mince. Do you think that would work?

Here is the recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bolognese_sausage_rag_01151

The recipe specifies: 400g/14oz good quality coarse pork sausage meat.

Tesco's has this which is the texture you are looking for. But it has the following ingredients. Outdoor Bred Pork (90%), Onion, Potato Starch, Salt, Parsley, Black Pepper, Dried Herbs (Thyme, Marjoram, Parsley), White Pepper, Nutmeg, Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite). So you would have to take into account the seasoning.
IDShot_540x540-9.jpg

You would probably be better off using high percentage pork sausages and squeezing the meat out of the casing. But choose a sausage which looks coarse ground:

IDShot_225x225-12.jpg

Or perhaps even better - if you have a butcher or butcher's counter in the supermarket, ask them to mince you some coarse ground pork. Ask for pork with not too much fat.

Good luck! I might give the recipe a go myself.

Further to the above, I have found a recipe from ann Italian home-cook for this dish and the ingredients are pictured here. The sausages look very like the one's I pictured above. This dish is a classic Italian recipe and there are lots of variations on it if you Google the title: Taglietelle Salsiccia

tagliatelle-salsiccia_NG2.jpg

I watched the Rick Sten programme too and I think as Morning Glory says that sausages would work just fine. Just don't choose the mushy pork kind of sausages.
I make meatballs from sausage meat like that shown. Luckily I have a good butcher who will mince to to order.

Though our supermarkets are the same way. They hide stuff too. I think so you will walk the whole store.

Yes, I'll bet your supermarkets do another trick that they do here - suddenly change everything round so you don't know where anything is - again to force you to scan up and down the aisles looking for it, hoping you'll run across a bunch of other stuff you weren't really looking for. Frustrates the hell out of me.

Tesco's has this which is the texture you are looking for.

I did find that sausage meat in my local Tesco's when I was looking for the stuff for this dish and baulked at buying it because I seem to remember it did mention rusk in the ingredients. I think I was also still dealing with the disappointment of not finding the fennel seeds. Anyway, under your encouragement I shall return to it and have a go at that recipe very soon. I'll let you know how I get on. I did fancy it a lot when I saw Rick cook it.

Actually there was another dish he did in the same episode that looked really superb, making panna cotta with pistachios. My problem with that dish is my wife - she will object to it on health grounds only. It'll be all about finding the right time...

I hope you will try the Rick recipe and report back! I love it when people do that.

Actually there was another dish he did in the same episode that looked really superb, making panna cotta with pistachios. My problem with that dish is my wife - she will object to it on health grounds only. It'll be all about finding the right time...

That sounds lovely - not really that unhealthy, is it?

Yes, I'll bet your supermarkets do another trick that they do here - suddenly change everything round so you don't know where anything is - again to force you to scan up and down the aisles looking for it, hoping you'll run across a bunch of other stuff you weren't really looking for. Frustrates the hell out of me.
When our local Tesco was first opened, it was so big they issued a map to each customer. They did this every time the store was rearranged. It has now been extended twice and the map has been discontinued. Even the staff can't keep up with the changes.

I needed some muslin the other day and couldn't find it anywhere. I asked one of the staff, and she said funnily enough she came across it while looking for something else - it's in the Baby section - I should have known :laugh:

When our local Tesco was first opened, it was so big they issued a map to each customer. They did this every time the store was rearranged. It has now been extended twice and the map has been discontinued. Even the staff can't keep up with the changes.

I needed some muslin the other day and couldn't find it anywhere. I asked one of the staff, and she said funnily enough she came across it while looking for something else - it's in the Baby section - I should have known :laugh:
Do you mean the fabric?

Do you mean the fabric?
I was making marmalade, and needed a muslin square or bag. When I make paneer I use a piece off one of those long rolls of material used for cleaning cars (suitably washed and boiled first!), but it isn't fine enough for jam or marmalade making.

I was making marmalade, and needed a muslin square or bag. When I make paneer I use a piece off one of those long rolls of material used for cleaning cars (suitably washed and boiled first!), but it isn't fine enough for jam or marmalade making.
Ok my brain is trying to figure out what a baby would need with muslin.

Ha, maybe it's not a Bolton thing, maybe it's a me looking in the wrong places thing. Where would they be, with the bread flours and yeasts? In the home baking section? In the world foods section? Actually, I did try that approach recently. I saw a Nigel Slater recipe that called for preserved lemons. Checked it out online and found that Sainsbury's had them. Went into Sainsbury's, couldn't find them, asked someone, and was led to a completely different place than where I had looked, to find the jar looking exactly like the image I had seen online. I suppose that what I need is a big flashing red light over the specific ingredient I am looking for. Still, I'm certain that the supermarkets really don't stock rose veal. Too costly to sell well, I suppose.
Farm shop to the North of you, used to sell it. Been a while since I was over that way, so uncertain if they still sell it.

Search for farm shops, with a limit of five miles from the centre of Bolton

Ok my brain is trying to figure out what a baby would need with muslin.

According to one Baby Site:

Once you've had a baby, you'll come to realise you can never have too many muslin cloths. Choose our useful pack of 6 White Muslin Squares that will come in handy for mopping up spills, protecting your clothes when feeding or burping your baby, wiping delicate skin or even as a comforter. Super soft, gentle and absorbent, our customers swear by our muslin cloths.

In the dim and distant past when my babies were babies, I can recall using them. I think the idea is that they rinse out and dry quickly...

According to one Baby Site:

In the dim and distant past when my babies were babies, I can recall using them. I think the idea is that they rinse out and dry quickly...
I used cloth diapers as burp rags. Though now it makes sense. Note: in the US, cotton is more prevalent than muslin.

I come from a family of crafters, so I was thinking bolts of muslin not individual cloths. I was visualizing babies wrapped like mummies.

Back
Top Bottom