Do you bag your packaged meat at the grocery store?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
9:15 AM
In most grocery stores here, there are disposable plastic bags hanging above the meat sections, so people can slide the pre-packaged meat into the bag, thereby keeping it separate from other foods. Do you use the bags? I don't like when a package is wet with blood or something else. I try to avoid buying those packages, but sometimes a package will leak onto others in the bin, and they all have whatever it is on them. Because of that, I use these bags, and then when I get home, I will either put the package directly in the refrigerator or freezer still in that outside bag, or I will remove it, wash off the package, and then put it away. Of course, when I wash off the containers, I then clean the sink.

Do you use the bags provided in the meat section? Are they provided where you live? Do you think it's necessary?

I think the bags are a great idea. I will do the same thing as you. I will make sure to choose a package of meat that is without blood or juice dripping out. I look for the nicely packaged ones. Sometimes I will put it in the extra plastic bags provided to keep it separate from fresh produce in my cart. If I don't remember to do this then I'll ask the cashier to keep the meat separate from my other groceries so their isn't any cross contamination. I won't put any meat in the reusable cloth grocery bags for that reason. I leave it loose and then put it straight into the trunk so it doesn't touch any other fruits or veggies. Those bags are great for preventing leaks and messes.

They actually have those little plastic bags at Japanese supermarkets right by the checkouts (you pack your own groceries after they've all been scanned). It's convenient to me for things like salmon, because I always worry about fishy stuff leaking all over my other produce. I hate wasting plastic but I guess sometimes it's a necessary evil.

They have them available here and I do use them on occasion but not all the time, depends on the packaging. With the grocery stores here, if you don't use them the cashier always puts the meat in them when you are going through the cash.

It took me a while to even find them, because I'm a shorty, and they're way up at the top of the meat display case. I don't know when exactly they started making the bags available. At some point, i saw someone reach up to get a bag, and really liked the idea, because it bothers me getting the juices/blood on my hands, yuck. Kroger actually has antibacterial hand wipes right by their meat case, and I also like that idea. I take advantage of that when there's any type of liquid on or near the packages I'm handling.

Here in our place our supermarkets and grocery stores are cleaned and well organized. In every section like the fruits, vegetables, frozen foods, meats, chicken, fish and seafoods section there is already a plastic roll in one corner and all you have to do is just to pull and tear a piece of the plastic disposable bag that you will need. All items that are wet like the frozen foods and fish and as well meats products like pork and beef and chicken also I always make use of that plastic disposable bag so that my other grocery items will not get wet. And when I came home I immediately wash off those that need to be clean thoroughly before I put it in individual freezer container. I do not put meat products, chicken and fish items in my freezer that are not clean..

Last edited:
Supermarkets here use those transparent plastic bags in their meat and fish section. It is their standard to use that for the purchase of any of the said items. Any wet items should be in such plastic bags and sealed otherwise the cashier will call the attention of the attendant. When I buy chicken in the supermarket, I always choose myself the parts that I want, I don't leave that to the attendant who takes care of the sealing of the bag after labeling with the price.

I know I have not been doing much of the grocery shopping recently, but I feel sure we don't have these extra bags for meats. Caribbean girl can correct me if I am wrong. We only have the bags for choosing what vegetables we want as far as I am aware. I'll check to be sure but it sounds like a great idea for shoppers. Separate the 'sheep from the goats' so to speak.

I am not particular if a store has them because when I buy meat I think there are people from the store who will look after you. They are the ones packing and weighing all I do is choose and tell them what I want.

The meat bags around her are super thin and you have to be careful when packaging your packaged meat or they tear easy. I always use them because I do not want to take the chance of blood leaking from the package and contaminating the other food in my cart. Those bags are really a smart idea.

My mother who's been shopping at my local grocer's for many years brings her own icebox for the meat. She does this so that the frozen foods won't melt nor will it stain or be near the cleaning products that she puts in the cart. She also brings her own grocery bag to limit her carbon footprint. My mother is very intelligent like this because she knows paper and plastic use will harm in the long-term and every little thing counts to save our earth.

Back
Top Bottom