Do you eat fresh vegetables every day?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:08 PM
A simple question. I'm not sure its a fair one because I suppose that frozen vegetables can be far more economical and have virtually the same nutrients. Or do they? I am no expert. And what about canned vegetables - do they have the same nutrients?

I tend to use fresh veg every day because I like the whole experience: the visual appeal, the handling and the cooking of them. What about you?

Quick answer no.
Longer answer, we use fresh vegetables when they look good. That is rare on some vegetables.
Super long answer:
Potatoes always fresh, though sometimes I fix extra and freeze them or if I get them for 33.3 cents a pound but those always are 15 lbs for $5.
Onions, we always do fresh. Sometimes we freeze them.
Cabbage is always fresh.
Tomatoes, fresh for somethings canned for others.
Broccoli and cauliflower depends on price and what it looks like. Though we do cook and freeze some.
Carrots, what am I planning to do with them. I use fresh, frozen and canned.
Brussels Sprouts always frozen.
Garden peas aka green peas aka English peas always canned.
Corn is always canned.
What you call baked beans canned.
Green beans canned.
Pinto beans always dried.
Black Eyed Peas canned or dried.

I let @Cinisajoy do all the spade work..................

Potatoes always fresh, though sometimes I fix extra and freeze them.
Onions, we always do fresh. Sometimes we freeze them.
Cabbage is always fresh.
Tomatoes, fresh for somethings canned for others.
Broccoli and cauliflower depends on price and what it looks like.
Carrots, what am I planning to do with them. I use fresh, frozen and canned. (always fresh)
Brussels Sprouts always frozen. (don’t eat)
Garden peas aka green peas aka English peas always canned. (generally frozen)
Corn is always canned. (always fresh)
What you call baked beans canned.
Green beans canned. (always fresh)
Pinto beans always dried. (N/a)
Black Eyed Peas canned or dried. (N/a)

@morning glory & @Cinisajoy & @Yorky.

Yes, we do eat fresh veggies daily, even if we go out for a Tapa or Appetiser..

Always fresh ..

All Dried Beans: From Market in Oak Barrels / Linen Bags.

Tomatoes ( Actually a fruit though employes as a Veggie): Always fresh. I use fresh tomatoes for my Marinara ..

Carrots, celery, courgette ( zucchine), eggplant ( aubergine ) and broccoli always fresh and the same for potatoes, shallots, onions, wild mushrooms, garlic, cardoon and Green beans / sweet peas in a pod, spinach, Swiss chard etcetra .. Always fresh.

We have some of the most amazing vegetables in Barcelona, Gerona and Tarragona, and there is no need to use canned ítems or frozen.

It has not been in our Mediterranean culture to use industrialised vegetables ..

Good post ..

Thank you and have a lovely day.

@morning glory

Photo Courtesy: La Boqueria Market - Barcelona ..
Courgette Flowers / Zucchine Flowers ..
boqueriazucchinefleurs19092786_1562185487146069_463796808580992376_o.jpg

@morning glory

Photo Credit: La Boqueria Mercat - Barcelona ..

Today´s Selection ..
Sweet Peas, French Style Green Beans, White Asparagus, Baby Habas (slightly similar to a Lima Bean), Radicchio & Fresh pea pods under the White Asparagus. And lots more ..

boqueriamarcatveggies17352537_1473394029358549_2734786739976412694_n.jpg

Last edited:
@morning glory

Photo Courtesy: La Boqueria Market - Barcelona ..
Courgette Flowers / Zucchine Flowers .. View attachment 8749

@buckytom

These courgette / zucchines with flowers are absolutely amazing. Simple to prepare too ..

Separate from the vegetable ..

Sauté in Spanish or Italian Evoo with a pinch of salt to taste ..

That is all you need .. They are heaven !!

Then, prepare the vegetable separately either peeled or un-peeled to your liking ..

Thanks ..

Have a lovely day ..

Yes, I've grown my own zukes before, and have harvested them both for the flowers and the fruit.

The ones in the picture are just the perfect way to harvest them. Zukes here get a leaf mold within a few weeks, but they grow so fast and produce well if you pick them early.

The flowers are often taken separately to be breaded and fried.

@buckytom,

Yes, the courgette / zucchine flowers can be dusted lightly in flour and sautéed in Evoo or without the flour dusting ..

They are truly amazing .. ..

Well high rise urban apartment living is not that condusive for growing veggies on one´s terrace. I do grow a number of fresh herbs and tomatoes.

However, with the radical weather we have had, ( last week it snowed on June 30th and July 1st) and was 16 C degrees; luckily my husband, sons and parents took turns to bring in all the plants .. They were on my diningroom table (covered of course) until yesterday.

Have a lovely day.

Thanks ..

A simple question. I'm not sure its a fair one because I suppose that frozen vegetables can be far more economical and have virtually the same nutrients. Or do they? I am no expert. And what about canned vegetables - do they have the same nutrients?

I tend to use fresh veg every day because I like the whole experience: the visual appeal, the handling and the cooking of them. What about you?
Like you, I use fresh most of the time. I do use canned tomatoes for cooking purposes, as well as canned mixed vegetables for a certain favorite college casserole of my hubby's. I do have and use frozen peas since the fresh have such a short season and are priced exorbitantly by us - not to mention they are actually hard to find. I also have cans of Green Giant Niblets Corn, the only canned corn we will eat because they really do taste like fresh off the cob. The only other veggie/fruit I have in cans are beans - both single variety for cooking, and pre-made "Baked Beans" to use as a side dish.

We're really big on fresh fruits and veggies in the house. If I wrote a list, I'd probably find out that we are well exceeding the recommended number of servings per day. Fresh produce: the only reason to put up with summer weather.

Like you, I use fresh most of the time. I do use canned tomatoes for cooking purposes, as well as canned mixed vegetables for a certain favorite college casserole of my hubby's. I do have and use frozen peas since the fresh have such a short season..... I also have cans of Green Giant Niblets Corn, the only canned corn we will eat because they really do taste like fresh off the cob. The only other veggie/fruit I have in cans are beans - both single variety for cooking, and pre-made "Baked Beans" to use as a side dish.

Same here, except for the canned mixed vegetables. Nearly all the veggies I use are organic and are available when they are in season. They mostly come from the UK, with a few from the supplier's farm in France and from collective farms in Spain. As most of the recipes I use are for 2 or 4 people, I cook as per recipe and usually freeze what I can't eat. The only pre-frozen veggies I buy regularly are peas and okra with emergency supplies of green chillies and oven chips, although I think I've got half a bag Brussel sprouts lurking in the freezer too at the moment. I prefer fresh as I find some frozen vegetables don't have much flavour and some just look awful.

Yes, no, yes, no...

Take your pick.

I eat what is in season. Sometimes that involves preserved, frozen fresh vegetables I have grown. Other times it includes things such as shop bought (or home grown) frozen peas, frozen sweetcorn and frozen mixed beans because they are fresher and tastier frozen (typically frozen within a few hours of picking), other times I eat my own fresh veg from the garden, and still other times from the supermarket. It really depends.

Occasionally I'll even eat then tinned, but not often and usually only baked beans or tinned tomatoes. There are one of two beans (kidney beans for example) that I sometimes eat from tins, but I prefer to cook those myself.

.....Other times it includes things such as shop bought (or home grown) frozen peas.....because they are fresher and tastier frozen (typically frozen within a few hours of picking).....
I still get fresh peas when they are in season, but from the farm rather than the supermarket. They remind me of happy days in my childhood, sitting on the back doorstep shelling peas. In those days we didn't even have a fridge, let alone a freezer :laugh:

Having said about using vegetables when in season, what do we mean by "in season"? I can't speak for anywhere else in the world, but the weather in the UK has been so ****ed up lately that vegetables and fruit seem to be ready at all sorts of weird times. I even went blackberrying at lunch time, and had fresh blackberries with my lunch! They are not usually ready to pick until the end of August at the earliest.

Having said about using vegetables when in season, what do we mean by "in season"? I can't speak for anywhere else in the world, but the weather in the UK has been so ****ed up lately that vegetables and fruit seem to be ready at all sorts of weird times. I even went blackberrying at lunch time, and had fresh blackberries with my lunch! They are not usually ready to pick until the end of August at the earliest.
Everyone is having ****ed weather. Seasons are not what they used to be.

Back
Top Bottom