Do you eat tinned (canned) food?

Which of the following tinned (canned) foods do you use?

• Vegetables (including corn but not tomatoes)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Beans and pulses

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Fruit

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Meat

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Fish/shellfish

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Pasta

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Tomatoes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Pies

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Puddings

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Soup

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Luckily I remembered that. The use by date is 01/2017.

I had a half tin today with a dollop of raspberry jam. It has always surprised me that food from the past never tastes as I remember it.

Ambrosia creamed rice pudding:

creamed rice s.jpg

I had a half tin today with a dollop of raspberry jam. It has always surprised me that food from the past never tastes as I remember it.

Ambrosia creamed rice pudding:

View attachment 5104
Probably because in the good old days they used to use full cream whole milk in it. Nowadays it's a mixture of full cream milk, skimmed milk, and whey. I only use organic grass fed unhomogenised milk these days (homogenised - i.e. processed - milk was recently found to be the cause of some of the health problems I have had over the last 40 odd years), and the difference between milk puddings or yoghurt made with that milk and milk puddings or yoghurt made with homogenised milk is amazing :).

Maybe because no one keeps a supply in their cupboards? I mourn the passing of the tinned treacle puddings, but they are pretty easy to make in a microwave :D
That's true. I reckon the microwave is an underrated kitchen tool. I've been using it to cook rhubarb for the Recipe Challlenge. Easy and quick!

homogenised - i.e. processed - milk was recently found to be the cause of some of the health problems I have had over the last 40 odd years

Homogenisation is not processed milk. Nor is unhomogenised milk raw milk. Homogenisation is simply a method of distributing the fat molecules in milk through milk so that it does not separate on standing. It does nothing other than that. It is done to help with the storage life of milk because milk that separates goes off faster.

Some people claim that homogenisation allows more of the enzyme xanthine oxidase (XOD) to be absorbed from milk and that XOD increases inflammation in the body. Whilst the last part is true, humans can not absorb XOD from their gut.

The following American article makes an interesting read. If you simply prefer the taste of unhomogenised milk, fine but it's health benefits are disproven a long time ago. They are like most of these food myths... Hearsay.

I do not remember the times of milk bottles being delivered every morning by a milkman, but I suspect that sparrows and other birds pecking at the lids, drinking the cream may not have been the healthiest of options for people drinking this milk. But I can't prove it. I only know of milk being bought from the supermarket. Not of being woken at 4am by milk being delivered daily.

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/article/homogenized-milk-myths-busted

Ye olde milk?
When cow’s milk is not homogenized, its fat separates out, producing a layer of cream on top. Developed in the late 19th century, commercial homogenization is a mechanical (not chemical) process that breaks up the fat globules to such a small size that they remain suspended evenly in the milk, producing a uniform (homogeneous) consistency. It also gives milk a longer shelf life. “Nonfat” milk—formerly called skim milk because the fat was skimmed off—is also homogenized, since it contains some fat, albeit a very small amount.

According to its detractors, homogenized milk contributes to heart disease, diabetes and other chronic disorders, as well as allergies, largely by boosting the absorbability of an enzyme in milk called xanthine oxidase (XOD). They claim that the resulting higher blood levels of XOD increase disease-promoting inflammatory processes.

While it’s true that elevated activity of XOD (along with other enzymes) produced in the body can increase inflammation, the adverse effects of XOD in milk remain theoretical. In any case, the point is moot, because XOD is not absorbed from any food.

The notion that homogenization, and milk’s XOD in particular, is a health hazard was originally disproven by researchers from the University of California at Davis in a paper published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition back in 1983. Subsequent research has also debunked it.

In addition, studies have shown that homogenization actually improves the digestibility of milk and that it does not increase the risk of milk allergy or intolerance in children or adults.

Bottom line: Over the years, nearly all the fears about milk have proven to be unfounded. Many studies have linked dairy products—possibly even whole milk, despite its saturated fat—to a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease. Researchers continue to examine the effects of various milk components on the risk of heart disease and on health in general. So far, there’s no convincing evidence that homogenization is an issue. The only reason to drink non-homogenized milk is if you like the way it tastes and are willing to pay a premium price.

(my bold)

Last edited:
Tinned beans are something we have in the cupboard and crushed tomatoes which are useful for making sauces. I think people are using tinned food less than when I was a child though we didn't have that much. My Mum used to buy tinned fruit which I wouldn't think to get now. I'm going back to the 70's.

We buy tins of baked beans and tinned tomatoes for sauces. Tinned fruit was eaten when we were kids but never touched them since leaving home.

We buy tins of baked beans and tinned tomatoes for sauces. Tinned fruit was eaten when we were kids but never touched them since leaving home.
There are a few things which are gourmet treats which come in tins; Hearts of Palm being one of them. Its little known, totally delicious and low calorie. And oddly, easily available in supermarkets! I have used it in a recipe somewhere here - I'll try to look it out. And I might just post up another recipe containing them.

As for fruit, tinned fruit can be good. Lychees.... ?

There are a few things which are gourmet treats which come in tins; Hearts of Palm being one of them. Its little known, totally delicious and low calorie. And oddly, easily available in supermarkets! I have used it in a recipe somewhere here - I'll try to look it out. And I might just post up another recipe containing them.

As for fruit, tinned fruit can be good. Lychees.... ?

A friend served tinned lychees at their buffet meal, not a fan to be honest.

Homogenisation is not processed milk. Nor is unhomogenised milk raw milk. Homogenisation is simply a method of distributing the fat molecules in milk through milk so that it does not separate on standing. It does nothing other than that. It is done to help with the storage life of milk because milk that separates goes off faster.....
I never said that unhomogenised milk is raw milk - raw milk is difficult to get in the UK and can only be bought at the farm gate. It has nothing to do with taste - there is a distinct difference between the tastes of organic milk from grass fed cows and organic milk from cows fed on organic grains etc. Homogenisation changes the structure of milk, and skimmed and semi-skimmed milks have things put in them to replace the lost fat/flavour. It is strange too that the milk I buy has a longer use by date than the homogenised rubbish sold by the local supermarkets. As I said in my original post, I have had stomach problems for over 40 years now and this has finally been put down to using homogenised milk, and I am certainly not alone in this.

Back
Top Bottom