Do You Enjoy Cooking Outside When It is Cold?

I am from Eastern Canada so it can get pretty chilly through those winter months. I know people who keep their bbqs on their decks and bbq all year round but I am not one of them. Even though I have always lived in this climate I would much prefer to be inside where it is warm then outside in the cold. I do most of my bbqing when we are camping through the summer and fall months. Come late September the bbq gets put away until the following summer. It is so much more enjoyable when you only have it for a few months of the year. It is something to look forward to.

I love it when I'm cooking something hot on the grill when it's cold outside. We don't get snow in my region but it rains all the time. Usually I like something smoked like barbecue or steak and then have vegetables pan-cooked. I usually have some hot chicken soup to go with it too and the family loves me for it. :)

My Dad used to cook on the grill year around. I remember one Thanksgiving it was rainy and bitter cold and he put a turkey on the rotiserie on our grill. He would go out about every 30 minutes to baste it. That was one of the best turkeys we every had. When it is cold out I like to put a beef or pork roast on the grill or a couple of chickens on those stand up roasters with the drip tray under them. They make the best chickens,, even the white meat is juicy when it is leftover and in the refrigerator. The chicken has that yummy slow roasted taste and makes the best chicken salad from the leftovers. Also fantastic chicken pot pie.

We do grill all seasons as long as it's not super cold out. I also live in Eastern Canada and it can get very cold so the grill isn't used as often. If it's a mild winter day though and the sun is out, we have no problems with it especially when we're craving a nice bbq steak. Spring, summer and most of Fall we grill outdoors, I rarely turn the oven on as we cook everything on the grill.

I am originally from Oregon so I will grill year round with umbrella or in a coat I don't care! I love Grilled food!

I live in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, near the shores of Lake Superior, Lake Huron, and Lake Michigan. We average about 150 inches of snow a winter, and temperatures are usually in the low teens to mid twenties, Fahrenheit, but sometimes dipping below -20'F. I maintain a pathway through the snow in our front yard and a circle big enough to allow me to easily walk around the grill. Since the winds come from the west, I build a 6 to 7 foot wall of snow on the west side of the circle to create a windbreak. And yeh, I grill all year round. That picture of a Webber covered in snow, that's my Webber. The only thing you have to watch for is to adapt to the colder air, as if snow is falling on a sizzling steak, or you're trying to cook low and slow, you have to be a little more creative to get proper results.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom