Do you ever use packet mixes?

Kake Lover

Veteran
Local time
9:37 PM
I started married life using packet stuffing, but I didn't like them and that only lasted as long as it took me to master the timing logistics of a roast dinner, homemade stuffing is so much nicer.

I have never understood the appeal of packet mixes for cakes, pancakes etc. It's just paying extra for having some of the ingredients weighed out for you!

However I have to take that all back because I have just made a packet mix for some granola bars from Marks and Spencer, that sort of took my fancy. No added salt, E numbers or artificial anything.

IMG_20170209_202904861.jpg
IMG_20170209_202735718.jpg
IMG_20170209_202720577.jpg
IMG_20170209_202709908.jpg

Just about ALL of those stuffing mixes are so wicked salty that it's a shame!

I always make my own. So much better!! :wink:

After eating Char Siu at a local restaurant last year, I decided to try and cook my own. We finally found some hoisin sauce and gave it a go. It was not really a success.

I asked the cook in the restaurant how she made hers. "I use the packet stuff" she said.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as "packet mixes" but I regularly use OXO stock cubes when I can get them or Knorr when I cannot. Also I use condensed soups as bases for sauces Other than that (and the char siu mix) I cannot remember using packet mixes for many years.

I started married life using packet stuffing, but I didn't like them and that only lasted as long as it took me to master the timing logistics of a roast dinner, homemade stuffing is so much nicer.

I have never understood the appeal of packet mixes for cakes, pancakes etc. It's just paying extra for having some of the ingredients weighed out for you!

However I have to take that all back because I have just made a packet mix for some granola bars from Marks and Spencer, that sort of took my fancy. No added salt, E numbers or artificial anything.

View attachment 5301 View attachment 5302 View attachment 5303 View attachment 5304

Given that you (and I!) now have a list of the ingredients and their proportions, couldn't we make this from scratch very easily? Perhaps I'll try! Then I could enter it for the recipe challenge. :laugh:

The only packet mix I use is sage and onion stuffing - I make my own stuffings too, but I particularly like that product. Its probably a childhood memory. But also, its vegetarian and my daughter can eat it.

The only packet mix I use is sage and onion stuffing - I make my own stuffings too, but I particularly like that product. Its probably a childhood memory. But also, its vegetarian and my daughter can eat it.
+1 there - the childhood memories are the best :rolleyes: but sadly we very rarely eat a full chicken anymore so it's a bit of a memory only for both of us

I'm not sure if this qualifies as "packet mixes" but I regularly use OXO stock cubes when I can get them or Knorr when I cannot. Also I use condensed soups as bases for sauces Other than that (and the char siu mix) I cannot remember using packet mixes for many years.
I use the Knorr powdered bouillon.

Given that you (and I!) now have a list of the ingredients and their proportions, couldn't we make this from scratch very easily? Perhaps I'll try! Then I could enter it for the recipe challenge. :laugh:
Ooh, yes please. I meant to take some to school today but I forgot. I've just had some with a cup of coffee and they are delicious. Should set me up to do the hoovering later.

+1 there - the childhood memories are the best :rolleyes: but sadly we very rarely eat a full chicken anymore so it's a bit of a memory only for both of us
I cook it on its own in a baking dish and serve it up with all manner of things. For example, alongside sausages with gravy.

Ooh, yes please. I meant to take some to school today but I forgot. I've just had some with a cup of coffee and they are delicious. Should set me up to do the hoovering later.
I've ordered in the cranberries as I didn't have any. I'll have a go at this tomorrow - what size is the packet in which they were cooked?

The weather here has been so dark that I haven't been able to take any decent food photos for days. Very irritating! So you may have to wait for pictures...

I've ordered in the cranberries as I didn't have any. I'll have a go at this tomorrow - what size is the packet in which they were cooked?

The weather here has been so dark that I haven't been able to take any decent food photos for days. Very irritating! So you may have to wait for pictures...

The first bake was done on a normal baking paper lined baking tray, then it was tipped back into the saucepan (in which I'd used to melt the butter ) and mixed with the extra honey, then it was presssed into the original packaging ( measured at 12cm by 15cm ) to set. The 12 " bars " it makes should really be classified as squares!

The first bake was done on a normal baking paper lined baking tray, then it was tipped back into the saucepan (in which I'd used to melt the butter ) and mixed with the extra honey, then it was presssed into the original packaging ( measured at 12cm by 15cm ) to set. The 12 " bars " it makes should really be classified as squares!

Gosh! I just realised this is two stages. You have to make the granola before you make the bars! It sort of defeats the object of convenient ready-mixes I would have thought. But no problem. I will follow instructions like a good soldier. :D

Gosh! I just realised this is two stages. You have to make the granola before you make the bars! It sort of defeats the object of convenient ready-mixes I would have thought. But no problem. I will follow instructions like a good soldier. :D

It was rather easy, first stage, stir in the melted butter and honey to the mix, (I did it all in the saucepan) second stage, stir in more honey and press into the box, leave it to set.

Back
Top Bottom