Do you ever use packet mixes?

It was rather easy, first stage, stir in the melted butter and honey to the mix, (I did it all in the saucepan) second stage, stir in more honey and press into the box, leave it to set.
It says that the first stage is to bake the granola mix in the oven until golden. Didn't you do that?

If we are talking stock, then I highly recommend Knorr Stockpots - which are the concentrated stock 'jelly' . The beef is excellent. For instant vegetable stock you can't beat Marigold:

IDShot_540x540-8.jpg

The first bake was done on a normal baking paper lined baking tray, then it was tipped back into the saucepan (in which I'd used to melt the butter ) and mixed with the extra honey, then it was presssed into the original packaging ( measured at 12cm by 15cm ) to set. The 12 " bars " it makes should really be classified as squares!

It was rather easy, first stage, stir in the melted butter and honey to the mix, (I did it all in the saucepan) second stage, stir in more honey and press into the box, leave it to set.

It says that the first stage is to bake the granola mix in the oven until golden. Didn't you do that?
Yes. Sorry for the confusion. Only one bake though. See above.

Yes. Sorry for the confusion. Only one bake though. See above.
Thanks. Now for some reason the fraud team at Barclay's thought my card was being used fraudulently and consequently blocked it. Hence my on-line delivery (containing cranberries) was cancelled! So, all being well, the cranberries will arrive tomorrow and I will make the bars.

Thanks. Now for some reason the fraud team at Barclay's thought my card was being used fraudulently and consequently blocked it. Hence my on-line delivery (containing cranberries) was cancelled! So, all being well, the cranberries will arrive tomorrow and I will make the bars.
Try being on vacation and the bank blocks your card. We had to drive 20km to the nearest bank to verify we were there. But good to know the bank was on top of it. They saw odd charges. The first charge said Austin and an hour later the next one was 160 miles away. (257km). We were staying at a state park but the credit card machine goes through a central location.

I don't use packets much these days but I remember when I was a student we used to buy packet cake mix sometimes. We would never have all the ingredients needed for a cake in the cupboard and most of us didn't know much about cooking. So the packets were a cheap alternative and easy to make.

The one packet mix I use is bread sauce. I could make my own but hubby like the packet version!

Adding my two cents worth, I'm not big on mixes but pick up something on the odd occasion. I've had a pancake mix here for months which I keep meaning to try but keep putting off. Some months ago I picked up a muffin mix and used it almost immediately simply because I had some new muffin pans. They were great and now I am afraid to make any from scratch. Sometimes when you put mixes in the mix..well it could make your original work look really bad if you know what I mean.

I made these today using my own ingredients rather than the pack, as promised. I found that the mix really didn't adhere to make the bars. I ended up adding more melted butter which did the trick.

The recipe says it make 12 bars. I haven't cut mine into bars yet but to me it looks more like 6. Did you find it made 12 bars, @Kake Lover? If I can take a decent photo tomorrow, I'll post this up as a recipe - so you can see how mine look compared to the packet mix!

I made these today using my own ingredients rather than the pack, as promised. I found that the mix really didn't adhere to make the bars. I ended up adding more melted butter which did the trick.

The recipe says it make 12 bars. I haven't cut mine into bars yet but to me it looks more like 6. Did you find it made 12 bars, @Kake Lover? If I can take a decent photo tomorrow, I'll post this up as a recipe - so you can see how mine look compared to the packet mix!
They were more likely squares than bars!

I think the last and only packet mix I have used was when I was at primary school and would have been that awful Angel Delight back in the very early 1980s.

After that every thing I have made has been from scratch.

... For instant vegetable stock you can't beat Marigold:

View attachment 5311

My favourite and I can even still get it here in Australia as well, thankfully.

Try being on vacation and the bank blocks your card. We had to drive 20km to the nearest bank to verify we were there. But good to know the bank was on top of it. They saw odd charges. The first charge said Austin and an hour later the next one was 160 miles away. (257km). We were staying at a state park but the credit card machine goes through a central location.

Try filling up first thing in the early hours of the morning, mid winter. Driving 600 miles (car did 650-700 miles on a run to the tank), and filling up again some 11-12 hours later stupidly using the same card. Almost opposite ends of the UK.
Go to buy groceries in a rural location the following day, the last shopping day before Christmas and guess what? Yep... Cancelled. So, glad my husband's card on the same account worked! I spent the next 3 weeks with no card...

Now we always make sure to use different cards or fill up the night before. Plus nowadays you can go online and tell them you are away etc for this period of time and in xyz country... So whilst we were cycling around the world, we could prewarn them of which country when specifically etc to prevent such issues.

I think the last and only packet mix I have used was when I was at primary school and would have been that awful Angel Delight back in the very early 1980s.

After that every thing I have made has been from scratch.

My favourite and I can even still get it here in Australia as well, thankfully.

Try filling up first thing in the early hours of the morning, mid winter. Driving 600 miles (car did 650-700 miles on a run to the tank), and filling up again some 11-12 hours later stupidly using the same card. Almost opposite ends of the UK.
Go to buy groceries in a rural location the following day, the last shopping day before Christmas and guess what? Yep... Cancelled. So, glad my husband's card on the same account worked! I spent the next 3 weeks with no card...

Now we always make sure to use different cards or fill up the night before. Plus nowadays you can go online and tell them you are away etc for this period of time and in xyz country... So whilst we were cycling around the world, we could prewarn them of which country when specifically etc to prevent such issues.
We were lucky my card worked at the restaurant.
Your story sounds worse than mine.

I only use one powder mix and it is this:

Schwartz Classic Roast Beef Gravy Mix 27G.jpg

The best beef gravy going, often I fry sliced onion to soften then add this to make a stonking onion gravy which I serve with sausages, haggis or faggots.

I always have a couple of packets in the cupboard.

I only use one powder mix and it is this:

View attachment 5377

The best beef gravy going, often I fry sliced onion to soften then add this to make a stonking onion gravy which I serve with sausages, haggis or faggots.

I always have a couple of packets in the cupboard.

I beg to differ. Try Knorr Rich Beef Stockpot. Caramelise onions, add a tbsp flour and stir in, add stockpot and water. But in the interests of science I will add the Schwartz mix to my next Tesco delivery.

Back
Top Bottom