Do you like your burgers rare?

A really good, local burger place serves a fresh Mexican chorizo burger and the menu states that it will only be served well done. I like my beef steaks and prime rib rare. We make a burger with a combo of bulk homemade andouille sausage and beef cooked well done.

As I've written previously, med rare to rare burgers remind me too much of tissue that has to be gotten through after assisting in surgery, though I eat steaks rare to med rare.

A really good, local burger place serves a fresh Mexican chorizo burger and the menu states that it will only be served well done. I like my beef steaks and prime rib rare. We make a burger with a combo of bulk homemade andouille sausage and beef cooked well done.

We've made meatloaf too with that combo dear.

This is burger-related, I promise.

One of the things people who like the Jacques & Julia cooking shows comment on is their chemistry together, and Jacques has confirmed many times that they were so comfortable cooking together that they rarely had more than an idea of what they were making for a particular episode, and most everything was done on the fly.

He also talked about her pleasure at trying to trip him up during filming. One such example was one of the beef episodes they made.

Having cooked and eaten with her plenty of times, he knew how she liked her burgers, which was around rare. She was famous for always chiding the “health police” for being too cautious about things.

During the cooking demonstration, where they each cooked a burger, they were cooking along and chatting, and she asked him, innocently, in that clucky, sing-song manner of hers, “How do you like your burger cooked, Jack?” - he said she was the only one who ever called him “Jack.”

He replied gently that he preferred a rare burger, and she followed up, asking if he was at all concerned about the warnings of ground meat and bacteria, to which he said no, he wasn’t.

At that point, she pounced: “I must say, I prefer my burger cooked WELL DONE!”

The look on Jacques’ face was priceless. He looked right in the camera with this, well, a sort of “WTF?” expression, then in classic Jacques fashion, simply shrugged his shoulders and said, “I have always eaten my burgers rare.”

:laugh:

I like my burgers medium and my steaks medium rare.

I'm thinking those who like their burgers rare are thinking of them like a steak tartare. I've had steak tartare with excellent quality meat, and it was good, but I still prefer my beef with a char to it. You're missing out on the awesomeness of the maillard effect if you don't cook it.

I think what bothers me most about a raw burger is that a steak has the fat separate from the meat, while a burger has it all blended together. A cooked steak with a fat cap benefits from the flavor of the fat without forcing you to eat it. The meat in a burger is intended to be cooked so the fat gets rendered. But, with a raw burger, you don't get that option.

Steak tartare doesn't force you to eat the fat, either. Maybe the people who like raw burgers like the fat?

Nope. Once from McDonalds back in 1981but that’s the only time I ever heard in his 83 years.

I’ve only had it twice - from a Thai place in 1991 & a bbq chicken place in 1994. Both times the meal was shared with others and everyone who ate it got sick. I’ve eaten all sorts of things that are past date, leftovers that were 5 days old etc and it’s never affected it.

When it comes to use by dates etc that is a soap box topic for me.
I think some people are more resistant. My husband has a more sensitive constitution than I do. I can eat leftover food that's been in the frig for a week with no issues. I just do the smell taste and a thorough reheat. He gets queasy. I also don't pay much attention to use buy dates in general. Smell test and taste works for me.

Sorry for off topic.

It's not worriesome that burger meat is not thoroughly cooked on a bacterial level, it's just a texture and visual thing. I love medium rare steak, though.

I like my burgers medium - I do not want a hockey puck on my plate...
unless it´s in a breakfast bun at Mc Ds.
When I do burgers at home, they´re done on the (charcoal) grill; they´re handmade, and they´re usually about 2.5 cm /1 inch thick. Well Done - well you´d be chewing through the sole of a large construction worker´s boot.
McD´s, however,are wafer thin, so perhaps it doesn´t matter!
The occasional scaremonger bulletins from the likes of the FDA, the British FSA, and the European EFSA actually offend me at times.
" DONT PRESERVE GARLIC IN OIL!! YOU MAY CREATE BOTULISM!!" (Fact: there are only about 110 cases of botulism in the USA ever year, and over half are in infants, because of the milk. Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, and many middle-eastern countries have been preserving garlic in oil for centuries). RAW MEAT MAY CAUSE FOOD POISONING! ( Steak tartare, raw kibbe, najeh, kachila in Nepal, Basashi in Japan - they eat it all the time).
And let´s not start on cheese made with unpasteurised milk...

And let´s not start on cheese made with unpasteurised milk...

You can't buy unpasturized milk in most, if not all, places in the U.S. It can only be sold if it's labeled for "animal consumption only" and the cashier asks you to verify that it's for an animal, at least here. We've bought some in the past and made cheese with it.

You can't buy unpasturized milk in most, if not all, places in the U.S. It can only be sold if it's labeled for "animal consumption only" and the cashier asks you to verify that it's for an animal, at least here. We've bought some in the past and made cheese with it.

I was drinking milk in my tea. Use by 20th this month. I was still drinking it on 25th. Using smell test.

Steak: blue.

Mince: burger rare but cooked.

Russ

IMG_2297.JPG

I always order my Burger Medium Rare and leave it sit on the plate for a few minutes.
This 👆takeout that I got when we were down in "The Big City" was suppose to be mid-rare ... I ate it anyway `cuz I has too dang hangry!

Once I ordered a medium rare at a sit-down restaurant and it came out on one of those dang 1/4 sheet rimmed pans with a ginormous steak knife stabbed clean through the entire burger! The juices had all run out of it and made the bottom bun inedible! I ate the fries and took the burger home to doctor it back to health :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom