Do You Use a Meat Thermometer All The Time?

cherokee

Veteran
Local time
10:15 PM
I have to admit that I have never, ever used a meat thermometer. I tried it one time, but after having trouble with it, I decided to scrap it. I guess I am not as worried as some may be about my food getting cooked enough. I think that is because I have a habit of overcooking my meat. My mom had never used one either. The only time I ever saw her using one was when she made fudge to get it to just the right boiling temperature, but never for meat.

So, do you use a meat thermometer every time you cook your meat?

Yes I usually do, unless it is smaller pieces of chicken - if I see they have slightly shrunk in size, then I know they are usually cooked. But for most thicker cuts of meat I have a thermometer I stick in at the beginning, then set the thing to beep when it reaches a certain temperature. It's really quite handy and I almost just go off that, more than a cooking timer. It is especially good for roast beef, to catch it at just the right stage, as well as turkey to make sure it is just properly cooked, so it does't start to dry out.

I use a digital thermometer all the time ,meat temps , sugar temps,wouldn't be with out it

I use a thermometer when I have to. If I need to know the exact temperature of oil or if terrified guests at Thanksgiving are unsure whether the bird is ACTUALLY done. Other than that it's quite rare that I use one.

I do use a meat thermometer when roasting a chicken or turkey and also if I am cooking pork. For other meats I don't bother with the meat thermometer.

I don't own a meat thermomenter and I've never used one. Instead, I just push a skewer into the meat and check whether the juices are running clear.

I have never ever used a meat thermometer. My daughter uses one when she cooks. I touch my food depending on what I am cooking to determine if it is done. Is there pink meat on the bone, it may not be done.

I use one, especially when cooking a turkey breast, a pork roast. steak, broiled fish and a fresh shoulder.

I have several, but what I want now is a digital one. I heard that they are more accurate than the regular ones with the needle! :wink:

I use them every time I use the smoker for long smoke sessions. But that one is a leave in remote version which sends the temp to a base unit which I can monitor during the process. In the kitchen I use my quick read digital version to check temps on larger cuts such as turkey, roasts, etc. When I'm cooking commercially or for a book signing or chef demo where the public is involved I use them all of the time.

They don't even sell meat thermometers where I live! I've never used one nor have I seen one being used in real life. I think I get how the digital ones would work, but how do the needle ones work?

They don't even sell meat thermometers where I live! I've never used one nor have I seen one being used in real life. I think I get how the digital ones would work, but how do the needle ones work?

It'll be a spring that expands according to the heat, and turns the needle.

Since I started to know how to cook I had never use a meat thermometer even up to now at this point in my cooking. I just cook the meat 30 minutes or more depending on the meat that i bought then just check it with the use of a fork if it is already tender and ready for eating.

Never ever used one. Hopefully never will. It's the same with all sorts of measurements, how much of this and that to put in the food etc. How long to keep it in the oven etc. I never do any of that, for me cooking is about improvising and going by the feeling. I understand why some people prefer to look at instructions and do them to the letter but that's not how I cook.

I use a meat thermometer all of the time, but more to make sure that my meat isn't overdone than to see if it is done. I am still working on being able to tell with just the use of the pads of my fingers. :)

I don't use mine and honestly can't find it when last I searched. When I saw the topic brought up here or elsewhere. to be sure, I asked my husband if I had one and he confirmed I do. Together we looked for it for some time and came up empty handed. I never ever under cook my meats. I more likely overcook them and no one complains about that.

Back
Top Bottom