Does anyone else follow Santa on his travels?

What is Elf on a Shelf?

I think it started with a children's book in '04 or '05. a story about an elf that visited between Thanks Giving and Christmas Eve. I remember Step Son and DIL had a stuffed Elf for the Grands. They put the elf out in the evenings after the children were in bed. If they had been well behaved the elf had a treat for them - a candy or cookie or piece of fudge. If the children had been mischievous then the elf got up to mischief - making snow angels in mini marshmallows on the kitchen counter, tipping over a pot plant, leaving powdered sugar foot prints on the kitchen table. Silliness. The children got a kick out of it and tried to earn a treat instead of having to clean up after a mischievous elf.

I think it started with a children's book in '04 or '05. a story about an elf that visited between Thanks Giving and Christmas Eve. I remember Step Son and DIL had a stuffed Elf for the Grands. They put the elf out in the evenings after the children were in bed. If they had been well behaved the elf had a treat for them - a candy or cookie or piece of fudge. If the children had been mischievous then the elf got up to mischief - making snow angels in mini marshmallows on the kitchen counter, tipping over a pot plant, leaving powdered sugar foot prints on the kitchen table. Silliness. The children got a kick out of it and tried to earn a treat instead of having to clean up after a mischievous elf.

I thought it was an old Scandanavian mythology/tradition, I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom