Dream jobs

Duck59

Guru
Local time
2:19 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
I once met a chap who worked as a professional beer taster. He was employed by Thwaites' Brewery in Blackburn and his job was, remarkably enough, to drink their beer and validate the quality of said product.

Now that, to me, sounds like the sort of job I could put up with for a year or two. Any professional food tasters or beer samplers out there?

Professional Beer sampler..now that would be the dream job of my fiance. He loves his beer. He has recently been in the market for a new job maybe I should suggest he look into.something like this. lol

Gee, I don't think I would take that job of a taster whether of food or drinks. I want my taste buds only for my exclusive use and not for business or work. Maybe the beer taster would get drunk all the time when there is too much beer for tasting. Last week there was that so called beer tasting in the supermarket to promote a new brand of beer - Ambercombie (or something). My husband did not taste it because he said he would need to drink a whole bottle before he can make a fair evaluation.

Not necessarily...one part of our man's remit was to visit Thwaites' pubs in the area and sink a pint or two to make sure the landlords/landladies were serving it properly.
I have a couple,of,friends who work for breweries and its just another job,if you sell a
Product you need to control the quality ,the condition the beer is kept in is paramount ,one friend gets a beer allowance in their pubs
aa inspectors have a good job if you subscribe to their scheme they come and have the full experience ,food ,drink and accomadation all in the name of ratings,I'm sure that gets boring in the end

I think like anything, if you were doing it all the time the novelty would wear off fast. I remember back around high school around 8th grade our class went on a field trip excursion to a chocolate factory (seriously!) and we were allowed to eat samples. Needless to say we were all feeling rather chocolate averse after that!

I think like anything, if you were doing it all the time the novelty would wear off fast. I remember back around high school around 8th grade our class went on a field trip excursion to a chocolate factory (seriously!) and we were allowed to eat samples. Needless to say we were all feeling rather chocolate averse after that!
We had something similar only I was at school in Germany at the time so we were taken around a beer factory. We were allowed as much beer as we wanted at the end. Quite a few of the students had several litres too many! :cheers: + :drink: = :yuck: for one too many on the way home...

We had something similar only I was at school in Germany at the time so we were taken around a beer factory. We were allowed as much beer as we wanted at the end. Quite a few of the students had several litres too many! :cheers: + :drink: = :yuck: for one too many on the way home...

Oh gosh! I can only imagine! Did you all go there in a group bus or something? I'm sure the bus driver was rethinking his career choice that day if that was the case! :laugh:

Ah, the dangers of over indulgence. I remember when Morrell's Brewery (now sadly defunct) in Oxford stopped their brewery tours because the rowdiness got out of hand in the bar afterwards.

Oh my days ,I have forgotten those days of brewery trips,as a project for a catering exam i chose brewing and alcohol marketing,I did 4 of said trips and each one was a hoot!,informative? If they were I never remembered by the morning
:watching:

I know one or two people that have done the BSc Brewing and Distilling course at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. It's something of a legendary course and one of the reasons that Scotland has so many micro breweries these days. A lot of the new brewers are Heriot-Watt graduates and many of the would-be brewers and distillers were not averse to a little product sampling.

This seems sensible to me - students need to research their subject.

Distilleries are becoming more and popular down south now,we have a few local gin producers springing up ,and milk vodka being made ,but the big gin houses have always been around ,but great to see some small company talent shining through

Distilleries are becoming more and popular down south now,we have a few local gin producers springing up ,and milk vodka being made ,but the big gin houses have always been around ,but great to see some small company talent shining through
I must lead a sheltered life down South as I haven't come across the gin thing. Where are these gin producers, @Berties? I'm willing to travel...

Back
Top Bottom