Eating raw seafoods like shrimp, octopus and lobster

I have had raw fish in sushi before and I did not care for it at all. After I ate it, my stomach started to turn when I started to think about it being raw. I never got sick from eating it, but the thought made me a little ill. I will take my seafood cooked please! There is too much of a chance that the seafood could be bad and I do not want to end up in the hospital for the sake of eating something that is considered a delicacy in parts of the world. Even in a survival situation, I have watched enough of the survival shows that I could now make a fire by rubbing sticks together:chef::roflmao:

Even in a survival situation, I have watched enough of the survival shows that I could now make a fire by rubbing sticks together:chef::roflmao:
I have actually done this in a bushcraft course prior to us going off to cycle around the world, and it is nowhere near as easy as it looks and requires different types of wood (soft/hard flexible/inflexible for each part. I also reached the conclusion that if my life ever depended on me rubbing 2* sticks together I deserved everything that was coming to me. Despite having done it once (and one was more than enough trust me - out of the group of 20 students only 3 managed to get a fire lit this way after 1 day of trying and a 4th managed it 3 days later after trying constantly in every spare moment he had. It is not worth it.) I know I could not be able to repeat it. There are much easier ways of lighting fires and it is better to learn and practice those than think you can manage to light a fire from 2 sticks!

*technically incorrect because you need 3 but there we go.

With firestarters now available at just about any camping store, it seems rather silly that people would have to rub sticks together to start a fire anyway these days. The fire starters can fit in your pocket and should be carried by anyone who is venturing out into nature anyway. Even if you only plan for a day trip, you never know what is going to happen out there and so you might as well be prepared to stay overnight. Fire, water, food, and shelter are the most important survivial needs. You can generally find food and water, can build a shelter with natural resources around you, but fire is the hardest thing to get going.

Although I do not eat raw seafood, I know how to make one. We have here the small crabs that thrive in rivers – freshwater crabs that are called talangka. There is a dish that we call kilawin which literally means raw. After washing the live crabs, we put it in a pot but before putting on the lid, we sprinkle the crabs with salt. After 1 hour, the small crabs are ready for eating. The dip is vinegar with salt, crushed ginger and red pepper to deaden the fishy smell and taste of the small crabs.

Although I do not eat raw seafood, I know how to make one. We have here the small crabs that thrive in rivers – freshwater crabs that are called talangka. There is a dish that we call kilawin which literally means raw. After washing the live crabs, we put it in a pot but before putting on the lid, we sprinkle the crabs with salt. After 1 hour, the small crabs are ready for eating. The dip is vinegar with salt, crushed ginger and red pepper to deaden the fishy smell and taste of the small crabs.
I'm trying to imagine this. Are they tiny crabs that you pop into your mouth whole and wriggling?:scratchhead:

I'm trying to imagine this. Are they tiny crabs that you pop into your mouth whole and wriggling?:scratchhead:

No, not those tiny crabs. This crab I'm referring to is quit big, about 3 inches in diameter. We crack it in half and eat the insides. What gives flavor is the dip so it is important that the mixture of the dip is correct.

With the tiny crab, we call it crispy crabs. There's a Sunday market here that we sometimes go to. A stall sells crispy crabs that they fry right there in the stall. It is the small crabs that you put inside your mouth and chew to emit that crackling sound. Again, there's a dip that gives flavor.

Hmm I have never had crabs with the shells and all like the tiny crabs that you mention. What does the shell taste like? Are the fresh water crabs really smelly when you try to eat them? The only ones I am familiar with are salt water crabs.

I frequently eat raw oysters! And I've had raw clams. I don't have a problem if the seafood is ultra fresh but personally I wouldn't want to eat anything still wriggling!

We had oysters yesterday to start our celebratory meal, we will be having them again this evening, different restaurant. :hungry:

We had oysters yesterday to start our celebratory meal, we will be having them again this evening, different restaurant. :hungry:
Celebratory meal? Anniversary? Oysters are definitely the perfect food with which to celebrate. But I just eat them anyway - 50p each from Tesco's!

Celebratory meal? Anniversary? Oysters are definitely the perfect food with which to celebrate. But I just eat them anyway - 50p each from Tesco's!

On Friday we celebrated 25 years together so we travelled to Aldeburgh for a long weekend. We live in The Midlands so we are as far away from the coast as you can get so 'fresh fish' generally isn't and finding decent oysters takes a lot of research.

On Friday we celebrated 25 years together so we travelled to Aldeburgh for a long weekend. We live in The Midlands so we are as far away from the coast as you can get so 'fresh fish' generally isn't and finding decent oysters takes a lot of research.
Oh yes, I know Aldeburgh and I've eaten oysters at Butley Oysterage in Orford. Wonderful!

I'm the only one in our family that eats oysters ,every opportunity that comes my way I'm there,cancale near St Malo is the Mecca fo oysters for me , a few euros a throw and views to die for ,watching the fisherman come and go and plain and simple with a squeeze of lemon

I'm the only one in our family that eats oysters ,every opportunity that comes my way I'm there,cancale near St Malo is the Mecca fo oysters for me , a few euros a throw and views to die for ,watching the fisherman come and go and plain and simple with a squeeze of lemon
French oysters are all very well.... but for the real deal Whitstable Natives (and Rocks) or Malden or Colchester ditto. We do them best!

Back
Top Bottom