Eating While Travelling

sixxup

Veteran
Local time
10:30 AM
Do you like eating while you are travelling? Which foods do you usually carry?

If it is a two hour or more drive I bring some home made sandwiches enough to provide the carbs we might crave for. I make small sandwiches good enough for a single bite with less stuff on it, that way even the driver can eat quite easily just like the rest of us. Less mess and less time to prepare that is what I normally follow when we bring food on a travel. Nothing is more boring than going long travels with no food to eat.

When we travel during weekends, I would usually have some fruits. While my husband is driving, I would be eating the fruits especially if the trip is more than 2 hours. It is nice to eat fruits (this made me remember that I have a kilo of seedless grapes in the fridge that I promised to bring to the office for my snack). However, I cannot eat during the trip when we bring along our dogs with us. It is not a good practice because of the loose fur of the dogs.

We usually bring fresh fruit with us when we travel. If it is going to be a long trip then we will pack sandwich, beef jerky, carrot sicks and of course some drinks.
If it is a shorter distance, like maybe a few hours, we usually don't bring food with us. If we want something we can always just stop off along the way and pick
up something.

Hi Sixxup. What kind of traveling? Traveling on the plane, traveling to work etc? If it's on the plane I take along some fruits and as my schedule allows, a sandwich or two. If it's too work I usually don't as the journey is usually so short, there is no need. I plan on going on a bus ride one day soon. Then I think I'll pack a little something

I might have a sandwich if I'm on a long train journey, but that's about it. Some people seem to take it to extremes. During my morning commute (thankfully a thing of the past), I remember seeing a chap produce a bowl, a box of cereal and a carton of milk. He solemnly poured in the cereal, then the milk and proceeded to munch and slurp his way through it all.

My parents, in particular my dad, are terrible with this. They can't make it an hour in a car going somewhere without packing thermoses of coffee, stuffing every compartment in the car with food, snacks and napkins, and then they almost wreck the car a number of times because they're trying to fidget around pouring coffee and reaching around for food while they're driving. I've had to grab a hold of the steering wheel a number of times when in the car with them in addition to yelling at them to slow down or stop because they were about to hit someone while doing this.

Personally, I may bring some bottled waters in case my throat gets dry, but that's about it. I don't like having a bunch of food in my car because that leads to crumbs and odors. Also, I really don't care for lukewarm food that's been sitting around in my car, especially on a hot day.

I've been encountering the problem lately of eating in airports/hotels. I don't usually splash out for a hotel room with a kitchen unit, so I end up living off greasy pre-cooked meals from supermarkets and bags of potato chips. Definitely not the best or healthiest option, but when I'm travelling I can't really be bothered making an effort, and going to a restaurant alone feels awkward to me.

My favourite way to eat whilst travelling is to picnic. In France, when travelling by car, for example, this can be buying local produce: a baguette, some pate some tomatoes some cheese and a bottle of wine, perhaps. But I've also been known to pack a full picnic for a long train journey: cold meats, home-made bread, home-made quiche, salad, cheese and a bottle of wine in a chiller bag. I even pack the wine glasses and cutlery, with paper plates.

It all depends on the type of travelling. Years ago they used to serve snacks on the plane. Nowadays, I don't think they do this. However, I have not travelled by plane for quite a while, so I never had the opportunity to carry anything on board the plane to eat. If I had to do this, it would most likely be sandwiches or some cake slices.

Where I live, we do not usually travel very long distances by car or bus. If I am travelling by car and I want to snack on the way, it would probably be something like crackers, cookies or nuts. If I carried fruit, it would probably be something like grapes or other fruit that do not require peeling and are easy to eat.

Food is so expensive when you travel, so it all really depends for me. If I am only traveling for a couple of hours then the only thing I bring with me is something to drink. If the trip is longer than that, we will usually just grab something along the way at the store or at a restaurant. It really all depends on how long we are traveling.

To avoid the high cost of food when traveling, we pack drinks, water, popcorn and sandwiches for everyone. Everyone has their own snack bag so you are not concerned about anyone one person eating all the snacks.

It depends on the length of a trip, but yes usually. I tend to take sandwiches, fruit, drinks, and chocolate or some kind of sweet. I will take anything in
the car that is not going to be too messy.

I don't really care for snack food. So when we pass a decent fast food joint or gas station that serves real food, I'm there

Sometimes I'll just bring a couple of granola bars to make sure that I don't get crazy-hungry on the trip or anything. Most of the time though I prefer to eat locally, so if I'm visiting a new city or town I usually research before I get there as to what the local specialties are, or a good local restaurant or café. That way I feel like I'm actually getting a taste of the place I'm visiting, if you pardon the pun!

Back
Top Bottom