Eating While Travelling

Depending on the length of the journey it can be anything from a cooked meal in a suitable container for transporting it, to sandwiches, to whatever was left over from the night before. I will sometimes get some Mexican wraps to make up sandwiches/wraps with and either use some homemade hummus or purchase some along with some falafels. Mango pieces are often purchased for car journeys (or pulled from the freezer depending on if we have any in there) because we both prefer them to sweets on the journey.

If money is really tight that month then I will make up a flask with hot drinks in it and we will not buy anything from service stations, but usually we will get my OH at least a drink from the service station. It is his treat. I prefer to get one of M&S's salads or even a bag of parsnip & beetroot crisps as a treat. I have been known to pick up a container of olives to eat in the car as well, but not too often becuase they are a little on the oily side and you have to be really careful.

When we go on a long road trip, my go to foods to pack are chips, crackers, fruit, and cookies. We usually stop on the highway to get lunches or dinners but the snacks keep the kids happy. We also fill a cooler with cold drinks and yogurt.

Depending on the length of the journey it can be anything from a cooked meal in a suitable container for transporting it, to sandwiches, to whatever was left over from the night before. I will sometimes get some Mexican wraps to make up sandwiches/wraps with and either use some homemade hummus or purchase some along with some falafels. Mango pieces are often purchased for car journeys (or pulled from the freezer depending on if we have any in there) because we both prefer them to sweets on the journey.

If money is really tight that month then I will make up a flask with hot drinks in it and we will not buy anything from service stations, but usually we will get my OH at least a drink from the service station. It is his treat. I prefer to get one of M&S's salads or even a bag of parsnip & beetroot crisps as a treat. I have been known to pick up a container of olives to eat in the car as well, but not too often becuase they are a little on the oily side and you have to be really careful.
Refuse to eat in motorway service stations. Even limit the tea, due to the UHT "milk" they use & the fact that the water is seldom boiled properly(I increase the sugar to cover both).
The last time I actually ate at a service station, was only due to the vouchers issued by work giving a free meal. That was last done in early 2005.

Drinks tend to be taken in a steel flask, size depends on the journey length.

I like to pack sandwiches when I travel as I find them easier to make. Then ofcourse take some bites to enjoy along the way. When travelling with the family I often pack a larger take away basket. We enjoy munching as we go along except my youngest who gets motion sick when we are on the road.

Another thread that's always popular on cycle chat along these lines is foods while cycling,so still travelling,
Flap jacks
Soreene fruit loaf
And jelly babies
Gels - do partake but not really that nice a cake stop is the social thing
Fruit and nuts

Another thread that's always popular on cycle chat along these lines is foods while cycling,so still travelling,
Flap jacks
Soreene fruit loaf
And jelly babies
Fruit and nuts
I'm partial to the Soreeen Fruit Loaf. But why jelly babies. Are they easy to digest when cycling, or something?.

Flap jacks
Soreene fruit loaf
And jelly babies
Fruit and nuts
sadly that does not cover meals.... only short journeys. Most of my journeys where I need to eat in a car need to cover at least 1 meal often 2. So I have to plan journeys well. It isn't the outbound journey that is usually the problem, it is the homebound journey that is the issue. I'm lucky that the holiday home we tend to go to has a very good kitchen, I just lack the inspiration at the end of a holiday to cook 2 meals for 2 people to eat in a car!

Back
Top Bottom