Eggsperiments in peeling hard boiled eggs

We have a steamer (Thais steam fish frequently). It's rather large so it could probably hold a dozen eggs.

I'll capture an image of it tomorrow and tell the tale of the Chinese crispy duck later!

We have a steamer (Thais steam fish frequently). It's rather large so it could probably hold a dozen eggs.

I'll capture an image of it tomorrow and tell the tale of the Chinese crispy duck later!

:hungry:

I repeated it the next day... I'll write it up in the morning. It seems the difference was time and salt plus I have some 3 day old eggs that I can try.

Ducks eggs we never had an issue with, but I never tried same day lain or even 1 day old eggs, always a week or so with the ones we had. I could try same hen and 2 and 3 day old eggs in the dame pan, or even 1 day and 3 day.. Or 0 day and 2 day. I have almost 1 week's worth from the same hen now. Do hard boiled, not soft boiled eggs, shelled freeze at all?

I've come across the method recommended here a few times whilst searching. I don't have a colander or a steamer so I'm yet to try it.

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2014/04/the-easy-way-to-peel-farm-fresh-hard-boiled-eggs.html
Too much water and gas used for my liking plus I only want 2 eggs cooking at a time. And some of those comments... Yikes 20 minutes boiling time! What are they trying to do to the eggs? Murder them? nope... Runny yolks everytime please.

Now if I was already steaming something out even boiling something then, yes I could consider steaming them, but.

Too much water and gas used for my liking plus I only want 2 eggs cooking at a time. And some of those comments... Yikes 20 minutes boiling time! What are they trying to do to the eggs? Murder them? nope... Runny yolks everytime please.

Now if I was already steaming something out even boiling something then, yes I could consider steaming them, but.
Its 20 mins steaming time - the eggs take longer to steam than boil.

I repeated it the next day... I'll write it up in the morning. It seems the difference was time and salt plus I have some 3 day old eggs that I can try.

Ducks eggs we never had an issue with, but I never tried same day lain or even 1 day old eggs, always a week or so with the ones we had. I could try same hen and 2 and 3 day old eggs in the dame pan, or even 1 day and 3 day.. Or 0 day and 2 day. I have almost 1 week's worth from the same hen now. Do hard boiled, not soft boiled eggs, shelled freeze at all?
The thing is that I don't think @Yorky knows how old his duck eggs are. You can't really freeze HB eggs. The white goes rubbery and tough.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that its the Black Farmer eggs which are the problem. They do seem to have a very tough membrane which adheres stubbornly to the whilte. I've tried them every which way (including @Yorky 's method above), and no method works. I will try setting some aside for 2 weeks to see if the age makes a difference. This is in contrast to some Tesco eggs with similar use by date which I boiled at the same time. The shells came off those easily!

Its 20 mins steaming time - the eggs take longer to steam than boil.
Unless I was exceptionally tired, it was in the comments and it was boiling for 20 minutes that the lady was going on about... I'll try to find it.

This is in contrast to some Tesco eggs with similar use by date which I boiled at the same time. The shells came off those easily!
that may also have more to do with the breed of hen and their feed plus the genetic differences between individual hens of the same breed. Hence why I am trying to stick to the same hen with my experiments.

Also the BBD's or UBD's being the same won't necessarily mean they were lain on the same or similar dates. It varies again from supplier to supplier and how far they wish to push things, how far they think they can and what they can get away with with the testing that goes on. A lot of hens are kept in less than sanitary conditions. There are systems where the hen in the nesting box lays an egg and it will automatically roll away the moment the hen stands up to walk away (or turn around, inspect the egg, move said egg to a better position). These systems mean no saw dust or anything for the hens and are meant to be cleaner and give fresher eggs because the egg is not lying around in chicken shit until is collected. The thing is, I have found that my hens don't shit in the nesting boxes. Only everywhere else and the main place is where they roost. But the very evolution of a hen is the problem, their equivalent of the urethra, vagina and anus channels is one and the same... everything comes out of the same 'hole' (vent). And also if the hen is not that clean or does not have a female 'mate' to help clean the feathers at the back around the vent, they can get very dirty there. On an industrial scale which even larger free range organic setups are, hens don't have the space to keep droppings separate from themselves and they are not very good at watching what the walk over and then eat. All of this means that SBDs, BBDs and UBDs from even the same supermarket do not mean that the egg was lain at the roughly the same time. And on top of that @Yorky is in another country with completely different regulations and (apologies @Yorky) South East Asia, China and all of the stan's are very well known amongst travellers for issues with eggs.

Last edited:
And on top of that @Yorky is in another country with completely different regulations and (apologies @Yorky) South East Asia, China and all of the stan's are very well known amongst travellers for issues with eggs.

There are no regulations whatsoever to control the egg production from the village. There was an attempt once but the ducks just ignored them and carried on as they were. :roflmao:

I'm looking forward to the crispy duck (@Duck59 wouldn't like that).

The Crispy Duck Saga.

My wife bought a duck, not very large but there are only two of us. We went out and bought a bottle of Chinese wine and 10 rice pancakes plus some plum "jam" and a few oils and spices that we didn't have in stock. As per the recipe, the duck was marinated over night and then cooked in the steamer for 4 hours. After removing from the steamer, allowing to cool, then shredding and frying the meat there was enough to make two pancakes with a bit of grass and some plum "jam".

We never bothered again.

I'll capture an image of it tomorrow..........

This is the steamer with one duck egg for scale. It will probably hold more than a dozen.

I shall not be using it to steam a few eggs.

steamer s.jpg

We also have a plastic (or nylon) smaller steamer tray which came with the slow cooker but we have not used that one yet.

I was just talking to a friend who pressure cooks his eggs. He says the peel comes right off even with fresh eggs.
1/3 the cooking time.

Back
Top Bottom