Filipino dishes

tipoywizard

Veteran
Local time
7:03 AM
Hello everyone I want to know you opinion about Filipino food.

Have you try Filipino foods? Do you like?

The only Filipino food I have ever tried is cassava cake. I really couldn't stomach the taste or texture but my husband on the other hand loves it. He even scoured the internet for a recipe for me to make it at home - thankfully it included some ingredients we don't have access to (cassava flour?) so I couldn't make it.

It seems Filipino food may not have a huge presence in North American culture? I have tried and am open to many nationalities types of food but this one I am somewhat unfamiliar with and don't see around as much.

I lived in California for years where I worked with a Filipino lady that made lumpia a type of egg roll. I love it and wish I could make it at home.

We have a Filipino neighbor who is the sweetest lady - she always brings us food when she makes a big batch! It's usually pancit and lumpia. Pancit is a noodle dish and lumpia are like spring rolls as another poster mentioned.

I had never tried Filipino cuisine before my neighbor introduced me to it, but now I adore it! Thank goodness for good neighbors introducing me to new and delicious foods!

My sister's ex-husband is Filipino and when they were together he used to do a lot of cooking. I also once worked in an accounting office with several Filipinos, and one lady would always bring in pancit and lumpia. Ramon, my sister's ex, made adobo and other dishes of which I can't remember the names. There was one horrible smelling recipe Ramon made with some ingredient he called "shrimp fry"; a vile pink paste that stunk up the whole house. I never tried the dish. Just couldn't get past the smell.

I have cooked lumpia, not from scratch though. You can buy frozen lumpia at Asian markets and it's quite good. Many Filipino folks use the frozen product. My wine runner at work is a Hawaiian of Filipino descent and he does all the cooking at home. He always fills me in on the latest frozen treasure he has found. He told me about a Filipino grocery store called Seafood City where one can buy dozens of varieties of fresh fish and seafood, pork bellies, fresh Asian fruit and vegetables and a plethora of Filipino ingredients, snacks, soft drinks and other treats. It's a very nice store, but those tiny little old Filipina women can be quite aggressive.

I generally really like Filipino food. I cook adobo served with garlic rice which I learned from Ramon how to make. It's very good.

@DIna00, my husband bakes the best cassava cake in town. This is not to brag but he gets a lot of orders. However, his cassava cake is not for sale. He only bakes when there is a harvest from our crop of cassava. And when he bakes, he has a list of beneficiaries - those who will receive the cassava cake for free. His ingredients are very basic and he uses no flavoring whatsoever. And all his ingredients are fresh so it can be called organic.

Here is a photo of what I am bragging about...
IMG_1507 cassava cakes many.JPG

Filipino foods like:

Pork and chicken adobo
Pancit
Lumpia spring rolls
Pork, beef and chicken sinigang
Kare Kare
Tinola
Dinuguan

And other filipino dishes are MASARAP!!! (means delicious)....

I absolutely adore Filipino food! U grew up in a Navy town and had a lot of Filipino friends who loved to cook for their guests. My favorite dishes are Lumpia and panic as well.

And one Filipino festive food called "LECHON" is also delicious!!!

Lechon or roasted whole pig is always the star of the show when it comes to buffet dining. Sorry for those who do not eat pork because you are missing a lot. The native lechon is cooked or I should say roasted on charcoal for 4 hours. Sometimes the only flavoring is salt and soy sauce to make the skin crunchy. But some other versions are using lemon grass as stuffing to emit the flavoring. Lechon Cebu is the best lechon that comes from the province of Cebu, down south of the country.

Sounds delicious. I'll have to make do with roast pork joint with 'crackling' this Sunday (crackling is the crunchy skin).

Never tried it to be honest, not something we get around here. The Midlands is predominately Indian and Chinese. Other cultures and cuisines are popping up but not Filipino.

There was one horrible smelling recipe Ramon made with some ingredient he called "shrimp fry"; a vile pink paste that stunk up the whole house. I never tried the dish. Just couldn't get past the smell.
Ha ha! Shrimp paste! I use it a lot. I use this one:

40426011_0_640x640.jpg

Its a bit like Fish Sauce:

large-squid-brand-thai-fish-sauce-nam-pla-725ml-10915-p.jpg

They both smell rather 'fishy' to say the least! But, trust me, they taste entirely wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom