Filipino dishes

Ha ha! Shrimp paste! I use it a lot. I use this one:

View attachment 1104

Its a bit like Fish Sauce:

View attachment 1103

They both smell rather 'fishy' to say the least! But, trust me, they taste entirely wonderful.

@morning glory Yes you are right even though shrimp paste had a fishy smell, it had a wonderful taste.

Saute garlic, onion, tomatoes and pork with the shrimp paste until cooked very well. I always eat this as a side dish for fried fish and fried eggplant or when eating green mangoes. This taste better when eating together with these foods. :)

Mod Edit: from the other post that ended up inside the reply,
@morning glory Yes you are right its fishy smell they taste wonderful. Usually I saute garlic, onion, tomatoes, pork then the shrimp paste together until cooked very well. You can put chili green pepper if you want to be a little bit spicy. You can eat this sauteed shrimp paste as a side dish to any fried fish and fried eggplant or when eating green mangoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ingredient Ramon used he called "shrimp fry" not paste. I'm not sure it's the same thing. Next time I go to the International Marketplace I'll buy me a jar of shrimp paste and give it a try. I love shrimp. How bad could it be?

@morning glory shrimp paste is native in the Philippines and mostly used in the rural areas although it is a common flavoring in Metro Manila as well. It has countless of use but our favorite is mixing a tablespoon of shrimp paste with lemon juice to serve as dip for steamed crabs or steamed prawns. We had that last weekend. Prepare an extra rice when the lunch is like that.

@morning glory shrimp paste is native in the Philippines and mostly used in the rural areas although it is a common flavoring in Metro Manila as well. It has countless of use but our favorite is mixing a tablespoon of shrimp paste with lemon juice to serve as dip for steamed crabs or steamed prawns. We had that last weekend. Prepare an extra rice when the lunch is like that.
The one I use is Thai, so may be very similar. Do you know what ingredients are in yours?

The one I use is Thai, so may be very similar. Do you know what ingredients are in yours?

The Thai shrimp paste is very salty. What we have here is almost the same - preserved baby shrimps - but not that salty. And the way we cook it is in vinegar. It will be boiling in vinegar and some water for 1 hour. You read it right, that's one hour of cooking and before the harvesting from the stove, some would add sugar for flavoring. That sweet flavor would somehow deaden the salty taste.

The Thai shrimp paste is very salty. What we have here is almost the same - preserved baby shrimps - but not that salty. And the way we cook it is in vinegar. It will be boiling in vinegar and some water for 1 hour. You read it right, that's one hour of cooking and before the harvesting from the stove, some would add sugar for flavoring. That sweet flavor would somehow deaden the salty taste.
Yes, it is rather salty. When you say 'preserved' do you mean fermented? It doesn't sound like it in your description. I wonder why the shrimps need to be boiled for so long. I think that Thai shrimp paste is fermented.

Yes, it is rather salty. When you say 'preserved' do you mean fermented? It doesn't sound like it in your description. I wonder why the shrimps need to be boiled for so long. I think that Thai shrimp paste is fermented.

Yes, it is preserved in a sense because the shrimp paste I was talking about is cooked. The fermented part is when you buy it from the market, the shrimp paste is already fermented. Some do not cook it anymore but we do because the odor is not good. And cooking for an hour is what makes our shrimp paste taste better. I hope we can meet someday and have you sample the best shrimp paste we have.

Before I ever visited the Philippines I ate "crispy patta" in a restaurant in Hong Kong (Cinta J's maybe). The colleague I was with ordered 2 portions, i.e. two legs of pork! The waiter persuaded us to only have one to start and if necessary we could have another later. We just managed the one.

A few years later I worked in Manila and Batangas for a few months and crispy patta was a regular choice for my dinner.

Back
Top Bottom