First Home Equipment

Navii

Veteran
Local time
1:11 PM
So I plan on moving out in the next 2 years and I thought it would be smart to start thinking about early than late, so here I am. I'm interested in what you guys think I will need in my very own kitchen. I already have some ideas on what I will need but I bet you guys can help me out and tell me something I didn't think of yet. Looking forward to your Ideas.

That depends on what you like to eat. I was in a similar situation last month or so, and went for a rice cooker...because I eat a lot of rice, but I use it as a water-boiler for spaghetti and oatmeal too. If I ate more bread, then I should have gotten a toaster. If I knew more recipes, then I should have gotten a slow cooker or crock pot. If you want food done faster, then a wok and a hot plate. If you want food done immediately, then microwave oven.

If I could go back, I'd first write out an ideal meal plan, and then buy appliances to support that, rather than get what I think will be useful and then try to make it useful (even though I've gotten quite a lot of use out of my rice cooker... I suddenly miss baking, breads and cakes and pies, in an oven, which I do not have.)

Yes, like Ellyn says we sort of need to know your skill level, and what you plan on cooking/baking. I mean, eventually you'll be able to spend money on stuff you find yourself wanting, but until then...well, you're going to need the essential. So, pots and pans are a must. An oven, or at the very least a toaster oven. A saucepan or two is also needed.

I'd recommend a steam cooker, and a slow cooker. God, I cannot wait until I'm able to buy my slow cooker. Just a few months now. My friend had one, and he'd make these delicious stews every week and even when they were using ingredients I didn't like eating, the smell alone made my mouth water.

Well, I would just start with the basics as stated above like pots and pans and spoons. Then, it just depends on what you plan on making. If you plan on branching out and making fancy meals and desserts, you'll need baking sheets, mixing bowls, etc. It is very possible to make tasty homemade meals with just the "basics." I would suggest getting high quality items though so you aren't constantly replacing them. I find a lot of great kitchen equipment at Bed Bath and Beyond. I got baking sheets from there this year and I absolutely love them.

If you find that you really love cooking and baking then I would suggest investing in a stand mixer. They are pricey, yes, but in my opinion they are worth every single penny. They do so much more than mix cookie dough. I use my mixer several times a week for not only desserts but also dinner.

If I could go back, I'd first write out an ideal meal plan, and then buy appliances to support that, rather than get what I think will be useful and then try to make it useful (even though I've gotten quite a lot of use out of my rice cooker... I suddenly miss baking, breads and cakes and pies, in an oven, which I do not have.)

That actually sounds like a great idea! I'll have to think for some time and write everything down, before I could possibly know everything I need. I don't really plan on baking much at all, because I don't really like desserts at all so I think a hot plate and some pots and pans would be nice, but I actually also like the idea of a rice cooker, because rice is my go-to sidedish. Ellyn can you tell me which rice cooker you bought and if you are happy with it? I'm not quite sure where to start looking for one but I already got some pans and pots that caught my eye.

This is a little obvious I guess, but be sure to invest in a good set of cups, plates and bowls! I've known people to obsess over getting all the other odds and ends, but ended up forgetting the essentials!

This is a little obvious I guess, but be sure to invest in a good set of cups, plates and bowls! I've known people to obsess over getting all the other odds and ends, but ended up forgetting the essentials!

That's a very good point.

Funny story, a cup, bowl, and utensils set was the first thing I got when I moved out of my extended family's place. But since I had nothing to cook with...I just ordered out, ate out of styrofoam or cardboard containers, with plastic forks and spoons, so I didn't use them ;P Recently, though, I got my stuff together and even made a food blog and while I'm personally used to eating everything out of a bowl even if it doesn't need to be in a bowl like soup or something, I thought it would just look better on a plate. So I got plates. Now I have something other than a chopping board to arrange ingredients on, though, and so I've been using all the plates a lot.

Good to hear that Ellyn!

Personally, I got my set of plates and bowls from my aunt as she'd bought the set for her daughter going to university, but then she never went. So I've got this lovely set of blue and white cups/plates/bowls/side plates.

What's bugging me now though is that I've managed to break one bowl, one plate and one side plate, and now everything is uneven!

I got all my plates and glasses and silverware at stores like Big Lots when I first moved out. Whatever glasses and/or plate ware sets you buy, I would suggest getting two of each so you have plenty in case some of them break. A toaster and a microwave would be a must imo. A coffee pot would be a staple too. Keep in mind, even if you don't use these appliances regularly, if you have people visiting or spending the night, they may want stuff like toast or coffee.

For knives, I do the bulk of my chopping with a santoku knife. In addition, I would also recommend a serrated bread knife, and a sharp and sturdy de-boning knife so you can break down stuff like bone in skin on chicken thighs, which are frequently on sale. Maybe perhaps a meat cleaver too, for cutting through tougher bones and possibly a strong set of kitchen shears.

Pick up some glass baking dishes with fitted lids, as well as some roasting pans with lids too. Honestly, between roasting and slow cooking, I feel that the oven produces much better results than a slow cooker, plus it's faster. If you've got the 8 hours to wait for something in a slow cooker, it can be done in like 5 hours cooking on low heat in an oven instead.

An electric food steamer is great too. It steams vegetables far more evenly and consistently than a microwave - which often scorches stuff like broccoli. It also cooks perfect hard boiled eggs, and you can steam potatoes for mashed potatoes or home fries in just minutes. It cooks perfect rice too, as well as delicate fish. The biggest advantage though is that they start cooking in like 15 seconds, vs. waiting like 15 minutes for a pot of water to even start boiling.

My very first kitchen appliance was a slow cooker. It allowed me to make meals while I was away. The idea of thinking about the type of meals that you might cook for yourself and buy the appliances that you need to make them.

You do need:
--basic dinnerware
--silverware
--drinking classes
--can opener
--a good set of knives
--serving and cooking utensils

I know this thread is older but when I first got married, it was pretty much hand-me-downs from the family.
I guess they knew more than I did. No the marriage didn't last. I do still have the cookbook that was bought new. Joy of cooking.

Now I would say good knives, pots and pans, a set of Corelle dishes, a set of baking stuff. A good basic cookbook. Then go from there.

I know this thread is older but when I first got married, it was pretty much hand-me-downs from the family.
I guess they knew more than I did. No the marriage didn't last. I do still have the cookbook that was bought new. Joy of cooking.

Now I would say good knives, pots and pans, a set of Corelle dishes, a set of baking stuff. A good basic cookbook. Then go from there.

A good set of knives are a must. My husband is rather particular and we have spent a lot of time going into different cook shops looking for the 'right' knives, they are a good investment and can last for years. A cookbook is always useful.

A good set of knives are a must. My husband is rather particular and we have spent a lot of time going into different cook shops looking for the 'right' knives, they are a good investment and can last for years. A cookbook is always useful.
We went to see the kids, his niece and our daughter recently. He forgot his whet rocks. Can we say he now has a small one in the truck? He had to sharpen his niece's knives.
I try to avoid our knife drawer. :)

So I plan on moving out in the next 2 years and I thought it would be smart to start thinking about early than late, so here I am. I'm interested in what you guys think I will need in my very own kitchen. I already have some ideas on what I will need but I bet you guys can help me out and tell me something I didn't think of yet. Looking forward to your Ideas.

You can start off with a good set of cookware, a dinnerware set, a flatware set drinking glasses and then work from there. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom