Food in your bag (or pocket)

The restaurant I went to which gave us After Eight Chocolate Mints was a basic Indian restaurant - cheap and good. I guess its different here. The higher end restaurants tend not to give you things with the bill!
True. Usually a friendly local restaurant give us and after eight mint. One in London used to give us a little glass if Irish liqueur.

As I can't eat dairy and little meat I used to have an emergency muesli bar the pocket of my demin jacket. As vegan food became easier to come by and I was no longer a student so had more money to buy food I could actually eat, I kept finding the muesli bar crushed and stale.

Now we have bottles of water, bahs of crisps and gluten/dairy-free biscuits in the car for long journeys/emergencies. (see also a torch, blanket, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually a friendly local restaurant give us and after eight mint. One in London used to give us a little glass if Irish liqueur.

Which one?? One restaurant I would be happy to get the bill at :laugh:

Food in my bag... When I was a kid, I brought Easter eggs to school. In Bulgaria we don't do chocolate but boiled eggs that have been painted in different coulours. School kids bring a carton of shiny, colourful eggs to school and exchange them with their friends and hit each other's eggs to see which one is the strongest. If you are more interested in this tradition, here's a short read :
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/b...european-tradition-of-egg-painting-in-easter/

So I brought a few eggs in my backpack's small pocket to school but had a few left at the end of the day, which I returned home. And forgot about. Two weeks later, I open the small pocket to put something inside and the most obnoxious smell of smashed, rotten eggs fills the room. So I quickly close the zip. And leave them in there because I am too disgusted to take them out. Mind you, I was like 7 or 8 y.o. In the end, my mum found them about a month later. She was NOT impressed and still tells the story :D I feel bad now, can't even imagine how she cleaned that pocket, I would've just thrown the bag away...

When I was younger (and dumber) I would sometimes slip an after dinner chocolate into my pocket and forget about it until it was too late. I did the same with ink pens, with even worse results. I also recall putting pencils in my pants pockets when I was in school, which would mean holes getting poked in my pants. Backpacks just weren't a thing people used back then. All of those were mostly made obsolete by - as others have mentioned - the lack of complimentary chocolates, and lack of things I need to write with pen or pencil (since I have a phone). I'd like to think I'd be smarter now if given a chance.

Let me tell you about my mom's purse...it was a wonderous large affair that she could magically pull anything out of. At one point she bought a wilson duffle bag to use as a purse since she couldn't find anything large enough. When she would go a visiting she could pull the fixings for coffee out of that thing, from ground coffee to creamer to equal packs it was all in that purse.

Still food, my late mum had a Toyota Corolla . When we came to sell it, I had the car at home, I decided to,clean it out so I cleaned the car inside and out. In the boot was a box, it had plates knives forks salt n pepper tomato sauce serviettes butter Worcester sauce and that's just off the top of my head. Mum was always prepared for a feed,lol.
Wish I'd kept the car, be worth a fortune now.

Russ

I can't be the only person to have done this (can I?). You go to a restaurant, they give you 'After Eight Mints' (or something else) as a little gift, with the bill. You think 'save that for later' and pop it into your handbag or pocket. Two days later...

View attachment 21135

Guilty. I have recently found some mints in my coat pocket, no idea where we got them from :scratchhead:

I would carry Life Savers in my "possibles pouch" during muzzle loader hunting season. Never shot anything though, as I do not like the taste of venison from south Florida white tail deer.

Indeed I was - I hated the thought of having to drive a car. I always felt safer on my bike.

I recently nearly bought a motor bike, a triumph boneville. I thought about it long and hard. But decided the car drivers here aren't very considerate of motor bikes. I want to see my grandkids as long as I can. So many people my age getting killed on bikes. I taught my now wife to drive motor bikes when in my teens. I liked sitting as pillion passenger. And holding on .lol.

Russ

I recently nearly bought a motor bike, a triumph boneville. I thought about it long and hard. But decided the car drivers here aren't very considerate of motor bikes. I want to see my grandkids as long as I can. So many people my age getting killed on bikes. I taught my now wife to drive motor bikes when in my teens. I liked sitting as pillion passenger. And holding on .lol.

Russ

It is a shame you cannot have fun because of some ignorant drivers,

Back
Top Bottom