Food on the go

Local time
11:26 AM
I'm looking for inspiration....so I'm turning to the ever-reliable community here (who I'm sure will be full of great ideas) to ask.....what are your favourite foods for eating on the go?

We'll have a couple of long travelling days on our upcoming holiday and I'm looking for new ideas for foods to eat on the road. We usually end up with either basic sandwiches (which are a bit boring as you can't have too much filling otherwise they fall apart) or things like mini salamis or slices of topped fougasse.

The criteria are: 1) can be eaten with one hand; 2) can be easily passed to the passenger in case the driver needs to change gear (we'll mostly be on motorways, but you never know!); and 3) ideally can be prepared a day or two ahead to minimise last minute jobs.

So....any thoughts or ideas?

Think picnic. Can you pull over and use two hands?

Pan bagnets (tuna nicoise salad on French or Italian bread)
Fried chicken
Rotisserie chicken
Cold Potato, pasta, orzo or macaroni salad
Food on a stick - kabobs, deconstructed salad
Wraps - lettuce or tortilla
Fresh fruit or fruit salad - whatever is in season - strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes, apples, bananas
Brownies, macarons
String cheese
Egg rolls or spring rolls
Samosas

Last edited:

Pan bagnets (tuna nicoise salad on French or Italian bread)
Fried chicken
Rotisserie chicken
Cold Potato, pasta, orzo or macaroni salad
Food on a stick - kabobs, deconstructed salad
Wraps - lettuce or tortilla
Fresh fruit or fruit salad - whatever is in season - strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes, apples, bananas
Brownies, macarons
String cheese
Egg rolls or spring rolls
Samosas
That's not food on the go! It's food that needs stopping for. :)

Think canapees - food that can be eaten with one hand (the other one holding a glass) whilst standing up and not making a mess. Sausage rolls, mini quiches/tartlets, finger rolls, lamb koftas (or anything else on cocktail sticks), anything (pate, for instance) spread on slices of French stick, pork pie.. I have to stop now, I'm getting very hungry.

That's not food on the go! It's food that needs stopping for. :)

Think canapees - food that can be eaten with one hand (the other one holding a glass) whilst standing up and not making a mess. Sausage rolls, mini quiches/tartlets, finger rolls, lamb koftas (or anything else on cocktail sticks), anything (pate, for instance) spread on slices of French stick, pork pie.. I have to stop now, I'm getting very hungry.
Me too. Let's pull over. Lol. I'll bring the wine, mini quiches and stuffed mushrooms.

One problem with food to be eaten whilst driving is that it tends to be very pastry or bread oriented. I can think of lots of things but they are all wraps, pastries etc. Hmm...

breakfast sandwiches is our go to when traveling early
Most breakfast sandwiches that come to my mind are things like bacon butties which are much nicer eaten hot - but maybe you have other ideas? If so then I'd love to hear them :okay:

We won't be travelling particularly early - we'll have had time for a cuppa and a bite of breakfast before we set off so I was more thinking of lunch on the go rather than breakfast. Though breakfast is good any time of the day (we often have breakfast for dinner!) :hungry:

Ideally not.....hubby usually wants to keep on going until we get to our destination for the day.

If we pull over then I agree it becomes a lot easier, and actually there are two journeys: one from home to somewhere around the German border - we'll have a break in the middle of that one for the tunnel so hubby will get a chance to sit and relax, and potentially eat with two hands :hungry: so (depending on the weather) some kind of salad might be a good idea. The next day is the one I'm really puzzling over....we want to get a certain destination in one go so we'll be driving all day and knowing him, he won't want to stop!

One problem with food to be eaten whilst driving is that it tends to be very pastry or bread oriented. I can think of lots of things but they are all wraps, pastries etc. Hmm...
Yes exactly! Hubby isn't a fan of too much pastry and sandwiches can get a bit boring. I like the idea of koftas though - they'll keep a couple of days in the fridge and if I wrap them individually then they'll be easy to pick up.

Bacon n egg pie
Yes I saw that on your other thread and I've already made a note of it to try :thumbsup:

Spring rolls (although they can leave a mess).
You've just reminded me that we have some mini spring rolls in the freezer...I can bake some of those before we go and put them in the fridge.

Some great ideas so far :thumbsup:
One thing I forgot to mention is that we're travelling by motorhome so we'll have a fridge to keep things refrigerated if they need it. And when the coast is clear I can quickly pop back and grab something.....I promise I only take my seatbelt off for the shortest period of time and only when traffic is light and the road is straight :oops:

If I'm driving, the food must be "One Hand Operation". I generally get a sub from a quality shop or make sandwiches at home. I stay away from the fast food drive through. Juggling a container of pasta salad while using a fork isn't something I'd consider "traveling food".

If I'm driving, the food must be "One Hand Operation". I generally get a sub from a quality shop or make sandwiches at home. I stay away from the fast food drive through. Juggling a container of pasta salad while using a fork isn't something I'd consider "traveling food".

I think there has been a bit of confusion in this thread between food to eat 'on the go' when travelling (as in portable food that you stop to eat) and food to eat when driving (which for safety reasons alone has to be one-handed!). I think @MrsDangermouse has now clarified that she meant food the driver can eat whilst actually driving.

Great suggestions for both types of portable food though!

I like the falafel suggestion.

Hoped something out of my approx 20 suggestions would be of interest, since most can be eaten with one hand {aside from pasta salad). Honestly, I try to keep both hands on the wheel… Don't eat or text while driving. That's just me. Have a safe trip.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom