Food Trucks

I like how food trucks are set-up fast, with a lot of flavor and great mobility-- something you'd want as your own business. We have a Mexican/Korean fusion food truck from where I live and I think fusion trucks were the best thing that came out of this revolution. For so long I thought only ice cream trucks were cool now I have something else to take to work. :)

We used to call a food truck a "roach coach." That's not really fair, since some of them really are clean and decent. At one place where I used to work, there was nothing close by to grab a quick bite, so the food trucks would stop by there a couple of times of day (industrial area). One was really good. It was nice and clean with homemade food and reasonable prices. I heard that the owners eventually went on to open a restaurant.

The fad seems to be dying down a bit, at least in our area. Several years ago I was working for a large national insurance carrier located in my area, and many of the local food trucks would regularly park outside there for lunch service - which made sense given how many employees worked there. So I got a little carried away with eating from them for lunch several times a week, since it was kind of a treat at first to have them around so often. But it did start to add up over time, since the food trucks were generally more expensive than what you would even pay going to a fast food drive thru, or even buying some prepared food at the grocery store.

They were getting a bit carried away with their prices, riding high on the popularity of the whole fad, and they really weren't in line with the quality of the food being served. Not to mention it simply wasn't economically practical to eat from them several times a week due to what they were charging. If I'm already paying like $7-$8 for a sandwich, then don't charge me another $4 for a side of fries to go along with it. One of the trucks in particular was charging $4 a piece for a side of what was essentially plain old frozen tater tots, tossed with a little dried rosemary to make them "gourmet".

They're fun from time to time, especially in the summer months when I'm hanging out with friends downtown, and want to grab a quick bite to eat without waiting to be seated in a restaurant. But I'm a bit pickier these days over what's really worth it in terms of value for the money.

I love eating at food trucks. You get to experience interesting varied cuisine at a fraction of the price for a sit down dining experience. In the summer time we always take our family to eat at different food trucks in our city. More and more are springing up and they offer a variety of foods - Mexican, burgers, Italian, shwarma, pancakes, soup, grilled chicken, and of course a Quebec favourite poutine which is french fries smothered in gravy and cheese curds. It's so much fun to try out the different foods and eating outside is always fun for the kids.

Back
Top Bottom