Fried Potatoes - bring on your ideas!

Yes - they are very delicious.

Oh, that's pleasing to know. I grew them in the 1970s from seed potatoes we'd got from Sutherland (or Caithness). I thought they were outstanding potatoes but no-one marketed them. I'd never seen them in England - either as seed or spuds for eating. I assumed that, over the years, they'd just fallen by the wayside and had become extinct - or whatever happens to veg varieties when they're no longer grown.

That's made my Saturday evening. Well, that and the electricity coming back on after the power cut.

I associate fried potatoes with an old fashioned English breakfast. Mum or Granny would have cooked them in the pan that the bacon and sausages had been fried in. Or maybe the pan had been used for frying some bacon rind.

I forgot bubble and squeak!

bubble and squeak 5 s.jpg

I associate fried potatoes with an old fashioned English breakfast. Mum or Granny would have cooked them in the pan that the bacon and sausages had been fried in. Or maybe the pan had been used for frying some bacon rind.

For cross-linguistic purposes, that's what Americans call home fries, as heretofore mentioned.

There's nothing like a runny egg over them. And a salty meat side.

For cross-linguistic purposes, that's what Americans call home fries, as heretofore mentioned.

There's nothing like a runny egg over them. And a salty meat side.

Nope thats not home fries in my neck of the U.S. woods. Home fries are diced, and cooked with red peppers and onions and quite dry instead of oily.

Basic homefries are just diced, sliced, or any mathematical dissection of spuds cooked in residual pork or other fat.
Most also include peppers and onions, also heretofore mentioned by me, but it's not a pre-requisite.
Lots of diners coast to coast will happily make you griddled homefries with or without veggies (including mushrooms, in some places. Their service is usually slower).

And it's difficult to make such a starch oily, unless you are deep frying at low temp.
They should be an unctuously dry starch. Lol.

Last edited:
Dude, we're talking English folk, here.

They know the intracacies of potatoes.

They even give them names.

Interesting. My grandmother's home fries are big fat wedges of potatoes with onions, fried in a skillet on the stove top. Diced potatoes, particularly with onions and bell peppers, I think of as potatoes O'Brien. There are also shredded potatoes that I think of as hash browns. So many potatoes, so little time.

Going through my files, I have a recipe somewhere for potatoes cooked in a skillet on the stove top in chicken broth with garlic, and herbs. And another for a potato and onion tart. Will see if I can locate them, and share them here.

Last edited:
Of course potatos have names...idaho, yukon, russetts, florida whites...tons of different potatos here in the U.S. and likely different varieties in europe because of growing climates and soil. They originated from south america and were took over to europe via spain by spanish explorers.

I know if i go to a restaurant and order home fries i get diced potatos not sliced and usually cooked with peppers and onions and much drier than my mom's fried potatoes which tend to have a little oil on the surface of the slices and not fried til dry.

We have one name for our potatoes because we only have one type. Chinese (which emanated from Holland apparently).

Tops September 2 s.jpg

Even without the squeak I fry left over mashed potatoes with very little oil.

Back
Top Bottom