gas stoves on the way out ?

grumpyoldman

Local time
7:19 AM
i read something the other day that said gas stove spew benzene so i looked up what is considered acceptable
, it seem only 1 ppm over 8 hours is the acceptable for benzene
compared to carbonmonoxide where 10 ppm is acceptable
it would stand to reason that the gas stoves days are numbered

It looks like it...
But that's in the real world.
I don't see it happening here in a hurry.
And I am actually of just now, to go grab another bottle

Okay, gas stoves are NOT being banned, at least not in the US. That's just more scare talk from the right.

If you have asthma, or more importantly, have children with asthma, you need to take precautions if you also have a gas stove. What precautions? If you don't have a vent fan that vents to the outside of your home, get one. If you can't do that, open a window when the weather permits.

My sister has a gas stove, and asthma, but she also has a vent hood that vents to the outside. She doesn't use it, because I told her she needs to use it, and she has almost zero respect for any advice from me. She is a nurse, and has meds and inhalers, so why listen to me. :facepalm:

Natural gas (methane) is a hydrocarbon. When you burn hydrocarbons, bad emissions happen. Would you run your car in a closed garage?

Natural gas burns cleaner than gasoline/petrol, but it is not 100-percent clean.

Basically, use common sense (unlike my sister).

CD

Last edited:
It looks like it...
But that's in the real world.
I don't see it happening here in a hurry.
And I am actually of just now, to go grab another bottle

The gas you buy in a steel bottle is not methane, it is probably propane. Same precautions for emissions, but an additional precaution. Methane is lighter than air, so if you have a leak, it rises up to nose level, and to window level if you have an open window. Propane is heavier than air, so it settles down near the floor. You should still smell the odorizer that is added to all gasses (they are naturally odorless), but it can spread through the house for longer than methane before you smell it.

My dad has passed on, but he left me with a lot of knowledge about hydrocarbons that he made a lot of money from, and I will never make a penny off of. :laugh:

CD

Last edited:
Its LPG.
Liquified petrol gas.

My kitchen is open, so I have zero worries about gas hanging about.
My alternative is wood or charcoal, so I'm pretty sure gas is cleaner.

I've heard the stories about gas and astma.
Where and when I grew up, close to 100% of people cooked on gas.
This has now reduced, but astma has increased
Easy to blame gas, it's much more likely to be better insulated houses (in combination with gas).

Yeah, maybe in some industrialised countries, the gas cooker will be on its way out, although I imagine the professionals in the food/restaurant business will not let that happen without considerable kicking and screaming. There's just no comparison between cooking with gas and cooking with electricity.
Over here in the 3rd world, gas cookers (usually propane or natural gas bottle) are the norm. Unless you live next door to an unlimited supply of wood.

It'll take a long while before gas "cookers" disappear in this neck of the woods. The cost of electric ovens and hobs are far greater than most can afford so it's either bottled gas or wood. Most rural kitchens have open sides anyway.

Its LPG.
Liquified petrol gas.

My kitchen is open, so I have zero worries about gas hanging about.
My alternative is wood or charcoal, so I'm pretty sure gas is cleaner.

I've heard the stories about gas and astma.
Where and when I grew up, close to 100% of people cooked on gas.
This has now reduced, but astma has increased
Easy to blame gas, it's much more likely to be better insulated houses (in combination with gas).

I learned something today from you - I always thought it was Liquid Propane Gas. :)

..probably because the predominant constituent is propane as Caseydog said, but it has other things I didn't know (from WP:)

Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG or LP gas) is a fuel gas which contains a flammable mixture of hydrocarbon gases, specifically propane, propylene, butylene, isobutane, and n-butane.

And I'll always be cooking on gas.

Its LPG.
Liquified petrol gas.

Yeah, that's AKA propane, at least here.

Homes being built in my city are now required to have air exchange systems by building code. They basically exchange outside and inside air, in such a way as to limit changes in temperature in the process.

CD

I learned something today from you - I always thought it was Liquid Propane Gas. :)

..probably because the predominant constituent is propane as Caseydog said, but it has other things I didn't know (from WP:)

Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG or LP gas) is a fuel gas which contains a flammable mixture of hydrocarbon gases, specifically propane, propylene, butylene, isobutane, and n-butane.

And I'll always be cooking on gas.

Another commodity is LNG, or Liquified Natural Gas. Methane gas is cooled to a point where it turns from gas to liquid. The reason is to make it easier to transport via ship or train car. It is also used a lot in mass-transit in the US. Over the years, a lot of buses have been converted from diesel to LNG. It is cheaper, and burns cleaner.

There is a large LNG terminal in my hometown of Port Arthur, Texas. The US has more natural gas than it can use, and the war in Ukraine has hurt European supplies for natural gas. If you have a gas stove/hob in the UK, chances are some of that gas came from Port Arthur, Texas.

1702914304760.png

CD

I learned something today from you - I always thought it was Liquid Propane Gas.
Love it, 'cause I initially wrote liquid petrol gas, then went to check and see if it was propane or butane. Thats not on the bottle, but it did say liquified :wink:

I figure ours is a mixture of propane and butane, just going by the nation's lowest temperature

Love it, 'cause I initially wrote liquid petrol gas, then went to check and see if it was propane or butane. Thats not on the bottle, but it did say liquified :wink:

I figure ours is a mixture of propane and butane, just going by the nation's lowest temperature

Propane and butane are both LP Gasses. Propane is used a lot for cooking because it burns hotter than other gasses, such as natural gas (methane).

I have a butane camp stove, and it is wonderful... as long as it is not cold outside when I try to use it. Butane bottles will freeze up as you get close to freezing temperatures (32F/0C). Propane is better, but it will freeze up if you drop well below freezing.

CD

Luckily we think it is freezing when the temperature drops below 20 oC :wink:
Middle of winter, some parts of the country might have hoar frost, hence my idea we may have a propane/butane mix

Luckily we think it is freezing when the temperature drops below 20 oC :wink:
Middle of winter, some parts of the country might have hoar frost, hence my idea we may have a propane/butane mix

Could be. IIRC, there were/are camp stoves that use a propane/butane blend.

CD

i read something the other day that said gas stove spew benzene so i looked up what is considered acceptable
, it seem only 1 ppm over 8 hours is the acceptable for benzene
compared to carbonmonoxide where 10 ppm is acceptable
it would stand to reason that the gas stoves days are numbered

What is benzene? Something that's added to gas? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom