Getting kids cooking.

We started cooking with our son when he was just about 5 or 6 years old, whether we liked it or not. That is to say we would watch TV shows together, such as Masterchef, then he would go rummaging through the refrigerator for something to cook pretending that he was on the show. Unfortunately, this was often at 9 PM when the show ended, and usually midweek - on a school night - so he was only allowed to make something healthy, then brush his teeth and off to bed. That's when he would do his imitations of Gordon Ramsay, letting out a string of curse words because of his refusal to sleep... just kidding.

Most of the dishes he made really didn't involve cooking per se, but rather slicing things with a plastic knife and plating his inventions. Although, one night he created a concoction out of string mozzarella cheese, ground up cheese crackers (Goldfish crackers), grated romano cheese, and an egg. I helped him make little patties and fried them into a sort of frico crisp. They were actually really good!

Here he is at about the age of 7 with one of his made up healthy snacks: cucumber with 2 kinds of yoghurt and raspberries.

2011-07-29_18-25-13_328.jpg

We started cooking with our son when he was just about 5 or 6 years old, whether we liked it or not. That is to say we would watch TV shows together, such as Masterchef, then he would go rummaging through the refrigerator for something to cook pretending that he was on the show. Unfortunately, this was often at 9 PM when the show ended, and usually midweek - on a school night - so he was only allowed to make something healthy, then brush his teeth and off to bed. That's when he would do his imitations of Gordon Ramsay, letting out a string of curse words because of his refusal to sleep... just kidding.

Most of the dishes he made really didn't involve cooking per se, but rather slicing things with a plastic knife and plating his inventions. Although, one night he created a concoction out of string mozzarella cheese, ground up cheese crackers (Goldfish crackers), grated romano cheese, and an egg. I helped him make little patties and fried them into a sort of frico crisp. They were actually really good!

Here he is at about the age of 7 with one of his made up healthy snacks: cucumber with 2 kinds of yoghurt and raspberries.

View attachment 6016

Well, its original! I don't think anyone thought of putting cucumber with fruit yoghurt before..... did you have to eat it?

I asked my granddaughter if she would like to try fish pie.
The answer was "Does there have to be fish in it?"
I said that without the fish, it'd hardly be a fish pie. Her response was to ask if we could make it using Pigs in Blankets (small sausages wrapped in bacon) instead. And no peas, just sweetcorn. And instead of the sauce, she wanted a layer of ketchup, then the mashed potato and grated cheese.

Why not, thought I. It was actually quite edible :laugh:

I asked my granddaughter if she would like to try fish pie.
The answer was "Does there have to be fish in it?"
I said that without the fish, it'd hardly be a fish pie. Her response was to ask if we could make it using Pigs in Blankets (small sausages wrapped in bacon) instead. And no peas, just sweetcorn. And instead of the sauce, she wanted a layer of ketchup, then the mashed potato and grated cheese.

Why not, thought I. It was actually quite edible :laugh:
I have a cousin that liked banana pudding without bananas. She couldn't be convinced that was vanilla pudding.

View attachment 6016

Cute little boy!!

Don't you have a DVR that you can record the cooking shows that he likes? That way, he won't miss a thing. And he can watch the shows when he comes home from school.

He looks like a very bright young man, and I would hate for him to have to miss out on this golden opportunity to broaden his passion for food & cooking. :wink:

Thanks, Shermie.

I was just mentioning one way his love for cooking started; by watching Masterchef at night together. We often DVD shows to watch together, but as he gets older and all of our lives become busier, those few times at night where we watch something together are precious.

Thanks, Shermie.

I was just mentioning one way his love for cooking started; by watching Masterchef at night together. We often DVD shows to watch together, but as he gets older and all of our lives become busier, those few times at night where we watch something together are precious.

Thank you.

Spend as much time in his life as you possibly can. He will be asking a lot of questions, if he hasn't started already. Be there for him, to help him obtain all of the knowledge that he can get. This is your chance to shine for him. He'll thank you for it many times over!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom