Giving up smoking

Maybe I bought the wrong product? If anyone knows of a safe, effective, and reasonably priced vaping thingamajig I might try it.

I tried e-cigarettes once, but I couldn't get any satisfaction. I've seen kids vaping, but I'm concerned about the apparatus exploding.

You're willing to ingest multiple vaporized carcinogens into your lungs on a regular basis, but are afraid of a rare technical issue with a battery?

I was smoking 20 - 25/day up to 5 years ago and my coughing was keeping me awake at night. One day I just said to myself "that's it, I'm giving up and this time it's for good!". The coughing eased after a few weeks and I haven't smoked a cigarette since. The strange thing is that I still fancy one occasionally even after 5 years.

Here's a brief note from someone who has just deliberately, consciously and voluntarily withdrawn from an Abrupt Nicotine Deprivation programme.

It's not much fun...
It needs way better planning than just deciding to quit.
The effects of withdrawal heightened my enjoyment of Amy Winehouse's live music. So much so that if I can find any mp3's of any of her jazzier live concerts, I'm going to use them in my next attempt to quit

I lasted 37 hours 18 minutes (roughly) without a smoke.

@Karen W, @morning glory - and any others, I'm not giving up in my attempt to give up. This was an opening exploratory skirmish in what will be a long battle.

I will be much better advised, equipped and supported next time - probably around end Sept.

I'd be very interested in taking this dialogue off a 'public thread' and into a restricted PM conversation.
No more from me on this thread.

Marijuana is legal. Go figure. :o_o:

In Florida it is only Medical Marijuana and it doesn't include smokable. The people voted for it a couple years ago and the legislature is dragging their feet to get the details worked out. You can't actually purchase it yet. If you are caught with a small amount (where they can't arrest you for intent) you are given a ticket and not arrested on the spot. It is incredible the amount of tax money flowing into state coffers where both medical and recreational use has been legalized.

It's still jail time here for even a small amount. Many, many years banged up for what could be considered dealing or trafficking.

I'm enjoying the thread, as long as it's supportive, positive and informative, rather than antagonistic, judgemental and hostile.

Last edited:
That is one of the few vices I never picked up. My oldest daughter is on her longest attempt at quitting smoking. She hasn't had a smoke in 5 weeks.

When my folks met my dad was a smoker but quit before they got married, my brother-the eldest of us 3 was a smoker for many years but quit about 4 years ago, my sister and I have never smoked.

It was a system which doesn't exist any more - a plastic tube in a cigarette shape into which nicotine capsules were inserted. You sucked in as you would do on a cigarette and the air went through the capsule thereby releasing nicotine into the mouth, which was absorbed into the cheeks I believe. Its similar to 'vaping' which in the UK seems to be more popular than smoking these days.

Do you have vaping in the USA?

I fully support anyone who wants to quit but to be honest I am not keen on vaping-they stink-sorry but they do.

You're willing to ingest multiple vaporized carcinogens into your lungs on a regular basis, but are afraid of a rare technical issue with a battery?

If someone has a particular view or a problem with a certain method then its never going to work for them whatever you or I may think. I would certainly have used vaping had it been available at the time, but it wasn't. I did use nicotine chewing gum on a previous occasion and managed to stop for 5 years. There are also nicotine patches which some find useful. So vaping, although popular, isn't the only route.

I never smoked, except for an extremely rare puff or 2 on my first husband's cigarette. That didn't last long though.

I got stuck in a van type vehicle with someone who was vaping. It caused me to cough just as much as regular cigarettes do now, as I have developed intermittent asthma as I've gotten older. The woman vaping wouldn't stop vaping even though I was about to cough up a lung.

Back
Top Bottom