Recipe Guinness Cake

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
5:56 PM
guinness_cake_.jpg

I don't want to die. Damn death. Long live life!
James Joyce , Ulysses

Ingredients
260g unsalted butter
300ml Guinness
100g cocoa powder
2 eggs
420g caster sugar
2 tsps vanilla essence
180ml buttermilk
300g plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder

For the icing
100g unsalted butter, softened
300g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
300g full-fat cream cheese

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 170°C /325°F/gas mark 3. Line the base of a 30cm round spring form tin with baking parchment.
  2. To make the cake, heat the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat until melted. Stir in the Guinness, then remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla essence and buttermilk and then slowly add the Guinness mixture, whisking all the time.
  4. In a separate large bowl, sieve together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Using an electric whisk, slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and keep whisking until it is all well combined.
  5. Transfer the mixture in to the cake tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes. Test to make sure the cake is cooked by inserted a dry skewer into the middle of the cake - if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Set aside to cool a little, and then remove from the tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
  6. Meanwhile, make the icing by blending all the ingredients together using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy.
  7. Place the cooled cake on a plate and generously spread the icing on top. The cake will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container.

http://www.clodaghmckenna.com/home/recipes/?id=119

Wait!!!!!! Didn't I see this here before? Maybe not? Now I know I am in the right forum. I'm good with the cake. I'll forget about the frosting.

Wait!!!!!! Didn't I see this here before? Maybe not? Now I know I am in the right forum. I'm good with the cake. I'll forget about the frosting.
Should be a Guinness Chocolate Cake, but I've stuck with the name that's given with the link.

You've not run out of the "vital ingredient"!!

Should be a Guinness Chocolate Cake, but I've stuck with the name that's given with the link.

You've not run out of the "vital ingredient"!!
I have. An entire case was bought a few months ago with a house guest in mind. The guest took care of the entire case I believe. I will double check.

You'te forgetting your own!!
I am dedicating this one to @classic33. Sadly I don't have all the ingredients on hand so I can't make it right away and ship it off to God's Country. Just when I thought there were no more Guinness recipes left.
http://www.europeancuisines.com/Ireland-Desserts-Guinness-Cake
Renamed Classic33 Guinness Cake by adding 1/3 more Guinness making it 3/3:)
Guinness_Cake.jpg

Ingredients:

• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon mace
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, cut into cubes
  • 1 cup seedless raisins
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 1 cup finely chopped citron, candied orange or lemon peel
  • Grated rind of 1 lemon
  • 1 3/4 cups soft brown sugar (dark brown works better)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2/3 cups Guinness or other stout
  • 4 eggs, beaten
Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° C.

Line the bottom and sides of the cake pan with waxed paper (butter the sides a little to help the wax paper stick), and brush with a little melted butter or margarine.

Sift the flour and spices and half the baking soda together into a large bowl or food processor with the metal blade fitted. Mix well or pulse until combined. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender, or pulse, until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the fruit, lemon rind and sugar, and stir or pulse to combine. (If using the food processor, you can pulse the mixture a little more to chop the fruit more finely.)

Add the beaten egg to the mixture and mix or pulse briefly again. Dissolve the remaining baking soda in the Guinness; then add this to the mixture as well and stir or pulse until well combined.

Pour (or scrape) the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Then lower the temperature to 300°F / 150° C, cover the top of the cake loosely with a sheet of waxed paper, and bake for a further 1 1/2 hours.

The cake should be a deep brown color and firm to the touch when finished. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely in its pan before turning it out and peeling off the waxed paper. When it's out, dust the top with confectioners' sugar / icing sugar.

This cake keeps very well in an airtight container for a week or so... if you can manage to keep it around for that long. Some people like to pierce it with a knife and "feed" it a little more Guinness before serving, say a few teaspoons full. Don't overdo this -- you don't want the cake to fall apart.

Serve it with fresh unsweetened whipped cream.

Ingredients
260g unsalted butter------Guessing
300ml Guinness.........Guessing
100g cocoa powder------???/1 cup
2 eggs-------
420g caster sugar---------My choice/4 cups
2 tsps vanilla essence
180ml buttermilk.----1 1/2 cups
300g plain flour------1 1/2 cups
1 tsp baking powder

This is looking a little dicey.. We will see or not see.

Ingredients
260g unsalted butter (1.0989557331636 US cups) One cup
300ml Guinness (1.2680258459579998 US cups)One & a quarter cups
100g cocoa powder (0.42267528198599996 US cup)Half cup
2 eggs
420g caster sugar (1.7752361843412 US cups) One & three quarter cups
2 tsps vanilla essence
180ml buttermilk (0.7608155075748 US cups)Three quarter cup
300g plain flour (1.2680258459579998 US cups)One & a quarter cups
1 tsp baking powder

For the icing
100g unsalted butter, softened (0.42267528198599996 US cups)Three quarter cup
300g icing sugar (1.2680258459579998 US cup) One & a quarter cups
1 tsp vanilla essence
300g full-fat cream cheese (0.42267528198599996 US cup)Half cup

This is looking a little dicey.. We will see or not see.
from
http://www.convertunits.com/from/milliliter/to/cups
http://www.convertunits.com/from/CUPS/to/GRAMS
http://www.convertunits.com/from/grams/to/cup+[US]

Last edited:
You've not started!!
Nope. I actually thought it might happen yesterday. Had the cocoa bought and realised we had some Guinness left. Besides the measurements I did not have butter milk(guess I could improvise) and then the lazy or frustrated set in. It was feeling like an accident waiting to happen.

Back
Top Bottom