Hanger Steaks

20170726_182357.jpg 20170726_182344.jpg This is a barbecue pit.

Attachments

• 20170726_182238.jpg
    20170726_182238.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 242
Wise ass.

I bet I could beat most Texas pit-monkeys.

The hell with pecan and oak. I use apple, cherry, and hickory.

Have you ever cooked with mesquite?

Nasty stuff. Very acrid smoke. A little has already gone too far.

I envy your barbecue skills on that side of the pond. Generally, us Brits are rubbish. I think it's a combination of unreliable weather and general lack of understanding of the process. Over here, it has become a cheap lifestyle activity, at the first hint of good weather the supermarkets wheel out pallets of vile chemical infused charcoal brickettes, and fill the chillers with cheap burgers and sausages that end up burnt to a crisp. Get invited to a barbecue over here and the best you can hope for is rain, and it being called off!

I envy your barbecue skills on that side of the pond. Generally, us Brits are rubbish. I think it's a combination of unreliable weather and general lack of understanding of the process. Over here, it has become a cheap lifestyle activity, at the first hint of good weather the supermarkets wheel out pallets of vile chemical infused charcoal brickettes, and fill the chillers with cheap burgers and sausages that end up burnt to a crisp. Get invited to a barbecue over here and the best you can hope for is rain, and it being called off!
Your description happens over here too especially if the cook started drinking at the same time he started the meat.
Here the main reason for barbecue is because in some regions it is too (pick a word) hot to turn on the stove.
Though technically, burgers and sausages while they may be cooked on a barbecue pit, that is not barbecued but grilled. True barbecue is cooked low and slow over a type of wood.
I hope this helps.

Though technically, burgers and sausages while they may be cooked on a barbecue pit, that is not barbecued but grilled. True barbecue is cooked low and slow over a type of wood.
I hope this helps.
Technically this is one of those cultural/US Vs UK things....different meanings of the same word on different sides of the pond :)

In the UK barbeque simply means cooked on a barbeque (either gas or charcoal). Usually done with a medium or high heat, though sometimes slow cooked with the lid on.
To us, "grilling" is cooking under a grill (the heat source is on the top) I think you call it broiling?
As @epicuric says, sausages and burgers are a staple of British barbeques - though many of us are a bit more adventurous :bbq:
We tend to slow roast whole joints (pork or lamb shoulder are favourites) or if we don't have all day then we'll have some kind of steak (beef, pork or lamb generally) or marinated chicken thighs. Red or yellow peppers and Halloumi are other bbq favourites in this house.
......Oh and a bit of rain doesn't stop us (good job really otherwise we'd never be able to plan anything LOL) - if it rains we just the the umbrella out :p:

Technically this is one of those cultural/US Vs UK things....different meanings of the same word on different sides of the pond :)

In the UK barbeque simply means cooked on a barbeque (either gas or charcoal). Usually done with a medium or high heat, though sometimes slow cooked with the lid on.
To us, "grilling" is cooking under a grill (the heat source is on the top) I think you call it broiling?
As @epicuric says, sausages and burgers are a staple of British barbeques - though many of us are a bit more adventurous :bbq:
We tend to slow roast whole joints (pork or lamb shoulder are favourites) or if we don't have all day then we'll have some kind of steak (beef, pork or lamb generally) or marinated chicken thighs. Red or yellow peppers and Halloumi are other bbq favourites in this house.
......Oh and a bit of rain doesn't stop us (good job really otherwise we'd never be able to plan anything LOL) - if it rains we just the the umbrella out :p:
Yes, your grilling is our broiling. Here popular favorites for slow barbecue are brisket, chickens, pig (either pieces or whole), ribs (beef or pork), we have also been known to do onions, potatoes, corn on the cob.
In a hurry, you US grill (UK BBQ) hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts or any combination of them on the barbecue pit. You can also do marinated skirt steak for fajitas.

Oh and if you like, you can put my baked beans in a fireproof pan and cook them with the brisket. I wouldn't try that with Addie's because the pit isn't hot enough.

Oh now I see how it is. You want us Texans to starve because you don't want our cattle. Just teasing you.
There is a steak house in Amarillo that serves a 72 oz steak. Roughly 2 kg.
Please note there are stock yards roughly 250 miles north of me and east of me.
A 72 ounce steak is about 4000 calories. And, that doesn't count the sides. Maybe if you jogged back home, you could work it off? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom