Harvest time

I love this time of year......we can start to harvest some of the veg that we've spent the last few months planning and growing :hyper:
We're self-sufficient in tomatoes and cucumbers right now. We won't need to buy any garlic or onions for a long time and it looks like we're going to have plenty of potatoes to keep us going for months :okay:

This was our veg ready for Sunday lunch - Red Duke Of York potatoes, various carrots, baby turnips and baby leeks. All freshly harvest from the allotment and the garden

View attachment 9529

Beautiful! :)

I brought my pepper plants in a couple of days ago as they seem to have stopped growing. My unheated kitchen is still warmer than outside at night time. The last time I had pepper plants growing indoors, they grew up to ceiling height - my kitchen was like a scene from The Day of the Triffids. The peppers were not huge, but were very sweet.

I brought my pepper plants in a couple of days ago as they seem to have stopped growing. My unheated kitchen is still warmer than outside at night time. The last time I had pepper plants growing indoors, they grew up to ceiling height - my kitchen was like a scene from The Day of the Triffids. The peppers were not huge, but were very sweet.

I've still got mine outside - I was quite disappointed as they are very mild. I bought them in fruit from a garden centre. They look pretty, but...

Mine were from seed saved from the organic peppers I'd bought.

A note about using seed from store bought or home grown hybridized fruits and vegetables.

Organic means no artificial chemicals or fertilizers.
Unless it labeled heirloom the plants/fruit are hybridized. NOT GMO - that is another discussion.

For example

My cucumbers are hybrids.

The seed used to produce the plants are first generation hybrids - F!. True to the parent plant. If I were to harvest seeds from my cucumbers the resulting plants would be second generation - F2 - not true to the parent.

That does not mean that you will not get an edible, tasty fruit. Do not expect it to be the same as the parent. The fruit may be a different size, different shape, different color, different taste.

I plant heirloom tomatoes - not hybridized. Old varieties. I plant multiple varieties. If my plants were isolated I could plant the seed and get new plants that were true to the parent with a 15% cross pollination rate (self hybridized). . Unfortunately my plants are very close together. Even though tomatoes are self pollenating wind will blow and bees will do their thing. My cross pollination rate would be much higher than 15%. I plant new seeds spring and fall.

If I had a lot of space I would paly around with cross pollination but not with my Square Foot Garden Boxes.

Back
Top Bottom