Has you ever thought about making your own bacon?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
4:52 PM
I was watching the TV program How It's Made, which airs on the Science Channel.
One such ep had a segment on how bacon is made. And then, I thought to myself; "Hmm, I wonder if I can do that!"

It is made using pork bellies with the skin & excess fat being removed. It would take some time to do, because it has to be cured for at least a couple of days, slow cooked in the oven & then partially frozen, which aids in easier slicing of the meat. Then the slices went for a quick run in a long microwave oven for about a few minutes.

Are there any safety precautions that must be taken beforehand? What the risks might be? And will it come out right? I DO have a meat slicer to slice it with when it is cured. I would imagine that it has to be soaked in brine and some liquid smoke first. Just wondering if it would work or not. :wink:

Last edited:
I've done dry cured bacon and brined bacon, it's been a method of preserving the joints for my wife's family for years, you can't eat a pig in one go
I would have look on line at some basic techniques , the brine has to be right , or the slat cure, and flaourings are up to you
I've also done bresaola and duck ham and Kessler
Your smoker is more designed for hot smoking so you are cooking as well , most bacons if smoked are cold smoked ... So no direct heat ,I've done a ham in chimney on burning apple wood, it was ok
I have never used a liquid , so can't comment but brining or salting of the meat is a chemical cooking process

I have a cooler that I can brine the meat in, with some ice to keep it cold as it brines. I'll probably have to get a small pork belly for a butcher.
First, I'd have to get a meat tenderizer - the kind that has stainless steel tines to poke holes in the meat, to help the smokey flavored brine penetrate the meat a little better.

This would all have to take some careful planning and some serious thought to it. I'd look online first for a good recipe that would be right to try. I don't plan to do this though, until after I move. :wink:

Good luck with that. At the very very worst it can't taste any more dull than the shop stuff that seems to be 50% water.

I came here purely out of curiosity. I have to confess I applaud any of you who would consider what seems like a mamoth undertaking.

I am happy just to read of your accomplishments. I don't expect to be attempting it anytime soon, if ever.

I came here purely out of curiosity. I have to confess I applaud any of you who would consider what seems like a mamoth undertaking.

I am happy just to read of your accomplishments. I don't expect to be attempting it anytime soon, if ever.

I'm going to try to find out as much as I can before even attempting to do this mammoth project. Don't want to mess up anything with it. :wink: :headshake: :stop:

Watched a program on television a few years back in which self sufficiancy was the general idea. Anyway they kept a pig and come the time they made EVERYTHING from it from black pudding to bacon - if I can find the title I'll let you know it might be viewable on U Tube or something.

Nice, but does it have a smokey flavor & taste to it? No need to get it if it doesn't have that smokey flavor or taste :wink:

No, I've never thought about doing such a labor intensive thing. I'm one of those people for whom something like that is not at all appealing (butchering). Add to that the fact that I stopped eating meat long, long ago... but I wanted to say thanks for the reminder, lol. I'm in need of breakfast and this thread just reminded me that I have soy "bacon" strips in the freezer!

No, I've never thought about doing such a labor intensive thing. I'm one of those people for whom something like that is not at all appealing (butchering). Add to that the fact that I stopped eating meat long, long ago... but I wanted to say thanks for the reminder, lol. I'm in need of breakfast and this thread just reminded me that I have soy "bacon" strips in the freezer!
:happy: Labour intensive indeed. I am also reminded that for a few years my husband would have a local pig farmer raise a pig for him and then butcher it and deliver to him. Then my husband would distribute some to friends and family. Somebody would want a leg, another a shoulder and so on and so on. Never was there any talk of making bacon. I think sometimes people forget that bacon comes from a pig.

:happy: Labour intensive indeed. I am also reminded that for a few years my husband would have a local pig farmer raise a pig for him and then butcher it and deliver to him. Then my husband would distribute some to friends and family. Somebody would want a leg, another a shoulder and so on and so on. Never was there any talk of making bacon. I think sometimes people forget that bacon comes from a pig.

I just wouldn't have the heart to kill any animal & then sit down to eat it!! I just don't! After raising a pig, I no doubt would get to know him, and he would be sort of like a pet to me. I just couldn't kill him and eat him!!
I'd rather buy the meat from a butcher & a supermarket, as I've done for years & years!! :( :thumbsdown: :headshake: :stop:

Nice, but does it have a smokey flavor & taste to it? No need to get it if it doesn't have that smokey flavor or taste :wink:

It turns out to be an American product so you could buy and try! The FAQ on their website http://www.baconkit.com says that you can use a smoker if you have one to otherwise use an oven, in which case it wouldn't taste smoked.

Back
Top Bottom