Has you ever thought about making your own bacon?

I have seen some videos on youtube; I am worried about the ingredients they use are they safe at all? It takes awhile to make your own bacon from scratch but definitely worth it. Imagine that chunk of pork belly can produce lots and lots of bacon strips? that is a big savings already.

I have seen some videos on youtube; I am worried about the ingredients they use are they safe at all? It takes awhile to make your own bacon from scratch but definitely worth it. Imagine that chunk of pork belly can produce lots and lots of bacon strips? that is a big savings already.

Yup!
I'm pretty certain that the ingredients used are safe. :wink:

Oh I see. I heard some chemicals that I do not even know how to pronounce and not sure what they are for. But if you say they are safe I am assuming that you had already tried making your own bacon right? How was it did it taste just like how you have imagined it to be and were you satisfied with your own product? Given the right research this could be a profitable business

Oh I see. I heard some chemicals that I do not even know how to pronounce and not sure what they are for. But if you say they are safe I am assuming that you had already tried making your own bacon right? How was it did it taste just like how you have imagined it to be and were you satisfied with your own product? Given the right research this could be a profitable business

This will be my first time doing it. I trust that the process is safe. The kit got a few rave reviews, and I'm anxious to give it a whirl. :wink:

I can pretty much put bacon on most of the dish that I prepare. I am now thinking that given the right methods and recipe I can create my own bacon and make it more healthier and safe and start my own bacon sideline business. I need not worry then about running out of stock right? I can even make all sorts of bacon flavors that I desire no one is going to limit me.

If you are anxious or excited to try it out then by all means this recipe deserves a go. In my case I always rely on my interest and excitement if ever I will try something new otherwise the idea will just end up being a plan and nothing is going to happen ever. While you still have that interest go for it Shemie and let us know about the outcome. Goodluck in the kitchen

If you are anxious or excited to try it out then by all means this recipe deserves a go. In my case I always rely on my interest and excitement if ever I will try something new otherwise the idea will just end up being a plan and nothing is going to happen ever. While you still have that interest go for it Shemie and let us know about the outcome. Goodluck in the kitchen

Not only that, I will take pics of the progress and then post them here. I still have to order the kit and I may just wait until after I move to do it. :wink:

When I was still younger I am a fan of eating bacon not only during breakfast but as well during snack time. But now no more since I avoided eating fatty goods. It just reminded me that those were the days. And now after I saw this thread I began to miss eating bacon. :)
Well good luck on your plan in trying to make your own bacon.

When I was still younger I am a fan of eating bacon not only during breakfast but as well during snack time. But now no more since I avoided eating fatty goods. It just reminded me that those were the days. And now after I saw this thread I began to miss eating bacon. :)
Well good luck on your plan in trying to make your own bacon.

Bacon, like most everything else, has to be eaten in moderation to cut down on the fat / bad cholesterol intake.
Yes, I actually love bacon, but I don't eat it all the time. I sometimes use it to help season a pot of greens or dried beans - fat & all. But that is only once in a while that I do that.

I got some in the freezer right now, as we speak, but I know that it is there to cook & eat, and when I do, it'll be a treat for me because I don't eat it on a daily basis. I DO like it on pizza also, but that is only once or twice a month that I have pizza, so again, I only eat it in moderation.

For those of you who don't eat it because it is too fattening, there is also the leaner healthier version of pork belly bacon which is turkey bacon. It has far less fat and it is far less greasy then regular bacon does. :wink:

Last edited:
Bacon is still pork meat with some fats that is why I only put bits and pieces of it for added flavor. Sometimes I use it to replace salt in the food that I prepare. I wonder though if we can rinse the meat during curing stage of the bacon to minimize the salt content. Is that advisable at all would you know?

It really depends on where my pig came from. I visited a friend in Texas a few years ago and they were given some free bacon meat from a wild pig that was captured. We were not going to pass up on free bacon and so we sliced up the meat and stuck it on the cast iron grill. After taking a bite of our fresh bacon, we promptly tossed it out because it was totally gamey in taste. If the pig was raised on a farm and did not taste gamey, I think I would make my own bacon with it.

Bacon is still pork meat with some fats that is why I only put bits and pieces of it for added flavor. Sometimes I use it to replace salt in the food that I prepare. I wonder though if we can rinse the meat during curing stage of the bacon to minimize the salt content. Is that advisable at all would you know?

Turkey bacon is strictly made from turkey though. Also, you CAN get low sodium bacon in the supermarkets. :wink:

I see I am referring to home made bacon. The kind of tutorial video you see online normally uses more salt and the meat they often show there is pork fat with a nice layer of meat and fat. I never had tried turkey bacon yet.

Back
Top Bottom