Help choose CookingBites Dish of the Month (June)

Yes, they are the basically the same thing, except I don't know if pasties can be sweet.
I think they go by specific names when they are sweet, such as an apple turnover (handheld size), apple pie also springs to mind. I've made a Shaker pie before now (I think out was a Shaker pie not Shuker pie, basically a lemon pie that was whole lemon slices with sugar over them for 24hrs before being arranged in a pie base and top and cooked) , treacle tart is another though that tends to be a lattice pie top.

Pies, pasties and I guess pastries or specifically sweet pasties or pies could be an answer. Broad enough for all to be covered though challenging for those gluten intolerant perhaps?

Or we could do it as savoury pies and pasties this month and sweet ones next month?

I like the wide criteria as my lack of oven counts me out for most 'pies' as and English person considers a pie. However, I have a Portuguese 'pie' I can make (I can't remember if I posted it here before or not).

Well - its not really a challenge as such. Just a 'participation' thing. So the more members who participate, the better! The 'Cookalong' was different. That was meant to be more of a challenge to cook a specific dish or use a specific cooking technique that perhaps members hadn't used before. In the end we didn't get many participating...
Sorry, I was confusing the competitions! The Cookalong I enjoyed very much. I remember spending hours researching the origins and development of dishes such as coq au vin, and coming up with a new/old twists to the recipes. I'm not sure that the drive for inclusivity has brought much culinary adventure to the new (non) challenge.

I'm not sure that the drive for inclusivity has brought much culinary adventure to the new (non) challenge
It does however mean that it can be as easy or hard as you want it to be. For those who want a real challenge out can be, but for those who are only just starting out with cooking a basic pie would still be a challenge.

Sorry, I was confusing the competitions! The Cookalong I enjoyed very much. I remember spending hours researching the origins and development of dishes such as coq au vin, and coming up with a new/old twists to the recipes. I'm not sure that the drive for inclusivity has brought much culinary adventure to the new (non) challenge.

I thought you might be confusing it.

To clarify, we haven't dropped the CookingBites Cookalong and the Dish of the Month isn't intended to replace it - its just a new feature. The 'Cookalong' started out quite well as you say and I personally really enjoyed it for the same reasons that you did. However, the last one (choux pastry) had virtually no entries at all and the one before that was also not very successful. I was thinking of running another one if there is enough support. But it has to have more than 2 members entering it! I could float a discussion thread to see if members would support it and ask for topics.

It died. We are hoping to move so I don't want to buy a new one we can't take with us.

I've been using a halogen oven (there is a thread about them) for the last several months and its brilliant, especially if cooking for one or two. They are inexpensive, faster than a conventional oven and use less electricity. I've virtually stopped using the electric oven. The only drawback is they take up counter space - but for me its been well worth it. I've roasted whole chickens and cooked tons of 'en papillote' dishes in it. This type of thing:
Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 10.27.27.png
Sentik 12 Litre Premium 1300W White Halogen Oven Cooker + FREE High Rack, Low Rack & Tongs

Pies have got enough mentions so lets go for savoury pies and pasties (to include any sort of savoury filling enclosed or topped with pastry). That allows for Indian, Middle Eastern versions etc. of pasties such as samosas, bureek and so on.

So sweet pies and hand pies are out?

Back
Top Bottom