Hey From Michigan

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
5:44 AM
Hi everyone. I'm excited to try a different type of forum. Normally I hang out in Poker Chip forums. Cooking is pretty important to me so I figured I would try a forum and go from there.

I searched a bunch of different forums. Signed up for a few. I ended up coming back to this one. It seems pretty friendly. Which is important to me.

I used to primarily cook on the grill. I love long, slow cooks. I mainly use old school charcoal. Over the last year or so I've been experimenting with rounding out my cooking schools. I've been trying different dishes each week. Something random to see how it turns out.

I'm also trying to get away from using recipes. Or if I do, make sure to add my own flavor to them.

I'm one of those people that love taking pictures of my cooking, and even the journey in creating a dish.

A little about me. I'm 49. Married for 29 years to a sexy, fantastic women who is primarily responsible for my interest in cooking. I have three adult kids, two grandsons, and three dogs (we just impulse adopted a lab/shepherd mix a couple of months ago). Its a funny story. We went out for beers and dinner and came home with a puppy :)

I'm looking forward to browsing the forums, learning where I can, and if possible, contribute to the cooking cause :)

Welcome to you @detroitdad :welcome:. I'm glad you ended up here. We are a small community hoping to grow and we love new members. We do try to promote a friendly Forum where members can really get to know each other and share their cooking successes and failures too! Do check out the the Challenges - see here: There are currently three challenges for you to enter.

Its coincidental you talk of poker as there has been some chat about @The Late Night Gourmet's upcoming trip to Las Vegas and gambling was mentioned. See here. Anyway, I hope you enjoy being here!

Thank you for the welcome. I've been browsing the different forums throughout the day. I am really enjoying what I'm seeing. I have a really good poker group. A bunch of us will get together for dinner before the gambling starts. One of my friends does a smoked Pastrami. WOW............Dude could sell it. I'll look for some pictures of it in a bit.

We pair it with either sour dough or Rye bread and home made kraut (I don't make it, my boss does).

One of my friends does a smoked Pastrami. WOW............Dude could sell it. I'll look for some pictures of it in a bit.

We pair it with either sour dough or Rye bread and home made kraut (I don't make it, my boss does).

Sounds great - post it as a new thread (topic) in the Meat and Poultry section if you want, as we will go off topic here otherwise!

Well...here's one for the Small World category:
  • I'm a Detroit area dad (currently living in Harrison Township); I have 2 teenagers.
  • I also have 2 dogs, so I'm 1 behind you in that, too (but, you can have that title to yourself...2 of each is plenty!)
  • When I moved to Michigan from Maryland, I lived in Ypsilanti; I went to college at Eastern Michigan University
@morning glory covered the main attractions well enough. But, please feel free to ask if you have questions, such as if you need English-to-American translations for things like aubergine, courgettes, and swede. :laugh:

Well...here's one for the Small World category:
  • I'm a Detroit area dad (currently living in Harrison Township); I have 2 teenagers.
  • I also have 2 dogs, so I'm 1 behind you in that, too (but, you can have that title to yourself...2 of each is plenty!)
  • When I moved to Michigan from Maryland, I lived in Ypsilanti; I went to college at Eastern Michigan University
@morning glory covered the main attractions well enough. But, please feel free to ask if you have questions, such as if you need English-to-American translations for things like aubergine, courgettes, and swede. :laugh:

Thats awesome . My baby graduates from Eastern in December with his Master's degree and he'll be debt free. We're petty proud of him.

I grew up in Ypsilant. Left right out of high school in 87 for the military. Came back in 94.

Once I get established here if your up for meeting halfway for lunch or something I'd be in. I love meeting new people. I've made a ton of friends from a forum poker meet ups through out the country.

@detroitdad Warm :welcome: to the forum. It is always nice to have a forum friend near by. You can rely on @The Late Night Gourmet. He is extremely inventive and always has an interesting story to tell. Earlier today I spotted a new member from Baton Rouge - 50 miles from my home in Lafayette, La. There is another member in east Texas. She travels through Lafayette to visit her Mother in NOLA. She has not visited for awhile. I hope she returns soon. It would be easy for us to meet for coffee on one of her NOLA trips.

Glad you decided to join us. The international membership makes this a very interesting and educational forum.

Left right out of high school in 87 for the military. Came back in 94.
And, something else: my son is in the ROTC now, and he plans to enlist when he graduates.
Once I get established here if your up for meeting halfway for lunch or something I'd be in.
Sure...we'll figure something out!

And, something else: my son is in the ROTC now, and he plans to enlist when he graduates.

Tell him a random stranger says thanks for serving out country .

Jake was going to Eastern Michigan University full time at 15. At 18 he had his Asst's degree/HS Diploma. At 20 he had his Bachelors. He turns 22 in SEP and graduates in December from EMU with a Masters in Applied Economics.

The best part is that he will be debt free when he graduates.

The best part is that he will be debt free when he graduates.
How does he/how do you manage it? I graduated debt free, but that was when tuition was about $1000/semester, about $50/credit-hour. I could work at Little Caesars to pay my way through college. Now, it's about $300/credit-hour...one class costs what an entire semester (5-6 classes) used to cost. And, Eastern is one of the cheaper universities. The University of Michigan is twice as expensive.

Back
Top Bottom