Hi from Cadillac, MI

wizardwatson

Local time
2:44 AM
Hello, my name is Perry Watson, and I'm just a bachelor who likes to cook. I'm 26 years old, and an electrical engineer by profession. I live in Cadillac, MI, having moved here a few years ago from Valdosta, GA to find work.

The food I cook is fairly basic, though somewhat healthier than average. I have lost a great deal of weight since moving out of my father's house and am interested in maintaining it. I just thought a food-based forum would be a good place to find out some new recipes and/or techniques.

Welcome to CookingBites @wizardwatson! We seem to have several members in your part of the world! Please join in wherever you wish. We are a friendly forum and we love new members! Its great that you have lost some weight. How have you managed that - I mean, what has changed in your diet?

Hi, Perry. I'm from Harrison Township. There was someone else from the UP, but I haven't seen him lately. What are the odds of this many Michiganders on a forum based overseas, all finding it on our own?

The food I cook is fairly basic, though somewhat healthier than average. I have lost a great deal of weight since moving out of my father's house and am interested in maintaining it. I just thought a food-based forum would be a good place to find out some new recipes and/or techniques.

I've lost weight with my cooking, which might be hard to believe when you look at some of my recipes. I just found a Healthy Substitutions or the Real Deal thread, and I'm going to add some of the things I do to eat healthy food that still tastes great.

Welcome to CookingBites @wizardwatson! We seem to have several members in your part of the world! Please join in wherever you wish. We are a friendly forum and we love new members! Its great that you have lost some weight. How have you managed that - I mean, what has changed in your diet?

Thank you for asking. I went from weighing about 360 lbs (I'm 6'7", by the way) and not thinking twice about what I ate at all, to weighing 218 lbs over the course of about 3 years. I keep my calories down to about 2400 a day and eat lots of complex carbs and lean protein. I make some oatmeal bran muffins for breakfast every day, along with some berry smoothies, greek yoghurt, baked chicken breasts and salmon filets, steamed vegetables or vegetable soups, etc. I tend to cook and eat very healthy during the week so I can eat a lot more on the weekends. I also do an hour of pretty intense cardio four times a week.

The trick, I find, is to make slow, gradual changes in your routine. When I first started, the only thing I did was make a mental note to maybe eat less at meals and exercise whenever I found the time. That's not a lot, but it's better than nothing, and more importantly it snowballed into several additional healthier choices, until I got to where I am today.

Hi, Perry. I'm from Harrison Township. There was someone else from the UP, but I haven't seen him lately. What are the odds of this many Michiganders on a forum based overseas, all finding it on our own?

I've lost weight with my cooking, which might be hard to believe when you look at some of my recipes. I just found a Healthy Substitutions or the Real Deal thread, and I'm going to add some of the things I do to eat healthy food that still tastes great.

No secret, there. I'm originally from south Georgia, having moved here about 2 years ago for a job. The food around here is notably worse. Hardly any good barbecue, no Waffle House, no Bojangles. There was no Chick-fil-A when I moved here, and even now the closest one is Grand Rapids. A man pretty much has to cook to get a decent bite to eat around here.

Thanks for that link, by the way. I do lots of healthy substitutions stuff when I cook, too.

Back
Top Bottom