Honey

Duck59

Guru
Local time
2:35 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
I spent some time pondering where one should put a thread about honey. No doubt, someone will come along and say "Ooh, it should go there," but it's here now, so that's the end of it.

Honey seems to be one of those love or hate things, so here's a simply question: honey yes or no?

I am not, in general, a fan of sweet foods or drinks, but I am not averse to a little honey now and then. I don't use sugar in anything, so if I need a touch of sweetness, then honey is your man. If I've got one of those colds that says, "Sore throat for you, my good fellow," then a dollop of honey in one's tea is excellent.

I don't bake very often, but now and then I have a bit of a splurge and usually slop some honey into the mix. And for those that want to try a beer that is both delicious and unusual, I'm recommend St Peter's Honey Porter. Just thinking about it makes me drool.

The kind of honey I find on the shelves usually is the commercial honey and I stay away from the organic because I a allergic to pollen. I am not crazy about it even if the recipe would call for honey. I know the ones we find mostly on the grocery shelves is free from allergens for whatever process they have been subjected to.

Honey is okay, but I have not used it in a long time. Whenever I use honey, it is as a topping to spread over pancakes or to get rid of a nagging cough. For the cough I would get a teaspoon of honey and mix it with some lime. I find that this helps to break up mucus making it easier to get rid of. I have never used honey to sweeten beverages like tea or any other beverage. However, if there was no sugar around, I would have no problem using honey for sweetening. I believe it is a healthy alternative to sugar.

My favourite honey was one that contained the honey comb but it was not the normal stuff that they did, this was the end stuff that was much less sweet and more waxy. I think it was called cappings in the jar. It was incomplete honey comb amongst set honey, it is the only way I can describe it and if I could source it again, I would because I much prefer it to what we buy in the shops. In fact. my husband and I are considering keeping bees when we move into our new home! Which basically means I will....

Yep - just checked and it was cappings. I always found it much nicer than straight honey, but I guess I am weird!

I've never been a fan of honey. I dont know why, I just don't like it very much.

The thing about honey is that a lot of these days is artificial and cheap Chinese stuff, (at least in the US) that probably does not even contain real honey. In order to get real honey, raw honey in the comb is authentic honey. It is expensive but nutritious and has natural vitamins and nutrients. I like honey but am not a fanatic.

I can't remember using honey in any of our dishes. But mind you, we always have honey in the cupboard because my husband takes a tablespoon of honey upon waking up. According to him, that would strengthen his throat against diseases and also hasten his bowel movement in the morning. Furthermore, honey is the most preserved food that it doesn't spoil even when not refrigerated. With nutrients, I'm sure honey has a lot of it.

Its OK. I don't hate it but I can take it or leave it. I'm not a fan of sweet things and honey can be, well, cloying. I can do it in very small amounts paired with salty savoury ingredients. I'm with @SatNavSaysStraightOn regarding the 'cappings' which I've also come across.

I never did like honey but really like it now,if you suffer from hay fever use local honey to where you live it can help ,reduce your hay fever eventually ,I use honey a lot in dishes it's a great glaze on ducks or pork ,great in dressings and sauces

Unusual thread for a mallard!

I love honey - nature's sweetener. I use honey in my coffee, on toast and in baking.

I was chatting to an apiarist a few weeks back at the local market (in france, sadly not near home) and she explained the different flavours from hives in different locations. Wonderful.

And manuka honey is amazing stuff. Quite delicious and very different from 'regular' honey. As noted upthread, it is expensive - I have never tasted the top concentration but would love to - £34.25 for 340g jar for the +20 in my local deli!!!

It is also a great healer. As others have said, useful for throats and hay fever; I add it warm water and lemon juice. And we have a small tube in our First Aid drawer of 'medical grade' honey. Truly wonderful but again, not cheap!

I like honey with my chicken. I always have it on hand. My fiance uses it in his coffee in the mornings instead of sugar.

Back
Top Bottom