Honey

What about mead?
My cousin who I went to visit in Zante keeps bees and he makes mead ,not bad stuff really for a home brew
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead
Does anyone make it still? I'm sure they do, given the rise of artisan breweries. And it has hops added giving it a bitter flavour! I'd always imagined it to be sweet so I wasn't interested. Oh well, off on another internet search...

They said honey had some great health benefits but since we are avoiding sweet foods we do not buy honey for our cooking and baking needs or for any other reason. And they said that we should be wise in buying because there is a pure original honey and there are those that is not pure and loaded with too much sugar which is bad for health.

Last edited:
I don't know I am a fan, but I like to have my honey around. It's definitely not a Peter or a Porter and my husband will pick up whatever brand the store assistant tells him is good I suppose. I got an organic/ natural one the last time. I will check it and get back with the name. I like to drop it in my hot drinks and experiment with small amounts in my cooking from time to time. Recenty I made some lemonade, used less sugar and added some honey and I thought it was fine. I was alone on that. These days when it gets hard I use the tip someone here suggested. I place it in some warm or boiling water and in no time it's back to its gooey self.

And by total coincidence I came across this today, would like to try it.
http://mackmyra.com/wp-content/uploads/Produktblad_Bee_2014_EN_webb.pdf

And it seems like mead is the new hipster drink. Its all down to Game of Thrones. It seems it can be dry or sweet. There's a Winery in Sussex which does it - you may know it @Shadow.

Lurgashall Winery in Sussex makes a range of five meads, including one fortified with whisky and another that comes with a bag of spice for festive mulling. £8.25 for 50cl online

That link from the Telegraph is incorrect. Its another winery in the West country. The Lurgashall website is: http://www.lurgashall.co.uk

There's a Winery in Sussex which does it - you may know it @Shadow.
Indeed I do. Just checked my notes and did a full tasting there in july 2007!!! Overall was not impressed, altho' the ginger liqueur was good. Could not get on with the meads, certainly not to my liking. Maybe I just didn't 'get it'.

I like honey, but in saying that I still only use it occasionally. I'd say my main use for it is actually in my oatmeal as a sweetener rather than sugar.

I don't actually use any sweetener in my tea/coffee - just prefer to take it plain!

A few years ago whilst in Scotland I bought a jar of Scottish Heather honey, it was delicious. Only trouble is it was a big jar. I still occasionally buy honey but small jars, I like it spread on toast my husband sometimes uses it for cooking but he isn't much of a fan.

I like honey as a glaze and hate it in my drinks to replace sugar.

I love honey. It's one of those ingredients that can be used for breakfast, lunch or dinner type meals it's quite versatile and the lovely color acts a cool glaze on every kind of viand. It's sweet definitely but it's non-processed and much better than sugar as a sweetener.

. It's sweet definitely but it's non-processed and much better than sugar as a sweetener.
Unless you are purchasing raw, unpasteurised honey you would be surprised as to exactly what has been done to honey you take from your jar.

There is a very good reason that honeycomb honey costs so much.

I'm interested in obtaining some raw, unpasturized honey. I haven't seen it at any of the grocery stores I've shopped at, so I guess I'll have to go to a farm stand or farmer's market. Actually, I just remembered there's a feed store not far away, and they have a farm. They often have homemade pies, preserves, and the like, so I'll have to check there for some.

You see honey everywhere, but there's certainly a lot in Eastern Europe. There is a big honey market in Sofia and you see quite a lot of drinks that contain honey. I had some very nice honey brandy in Ljubljana and some honey vodka in Krakow. One must try these things - it's uncivil not to...

Indeed I do. Just checked my notes and did a full tasting there in july 2007!!! Overall was not impressed, altho' the ginger liqueur was good. Could not get on with the meads, certainly not to my liking. Maybe I just didn't 'get it'.
I've gone off the idea of mead.

Back
Top Bottom