Hot Sauces

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
3:28 AM
What do you use? What is favorite? ect....

I've tried dozens and dozens of different hot sauces. I rarely go to a hot sauce for pure heat. I want the sauce to bring a flavor to it.

What do you use?

Inevitably I go back to the my three favorite hot sauces (all of which are a great bang for their buck).

Franks Red Hot
Tobasco
Cholulu

I like these three because they all bring something a little different to the playing field.

1482088717758.jpg
cho.png
untitled.png

About 25 years ago when I first started gardening I thought I would make my own hot sauce. I used a combination of Habaneros and Jalapenos. I ground them all up in a food processor.

Guess where I did this at. Inside my house lol. Young and stupid. We had to turn all the fans on, open all the windows, and leave for a few hours

I like Tabasco for specific applications. On Red Beans, Rice and Andouille - just a few drops. A single drop on raw oysters. Tabasco has a very high vinegar content. My preferences for cooking are Louisiana Hot Sauce or Crystal. I have begun experimenting with Sriracha. A different flavor profile.

On the heat index Jalapeno is about as hot as I can tolerate. @The Late Night Gourmet trips me out with his fixation on Habaneras. I can not eat food that requires a Haz-Mat suit to prepare.:laugh:

I like Tabasco for specific applications. On Red Beans, Rice and Andouille - just a few drops. A single drop on raw oysters. Tabasco has a very high vinegar content. My preferences for cooking are Louisiana Hot Sauce or Crystal. I have begun experimenting with Sriracha. A different flavor profile.

On the heat index Jalapeno is about as hot as I can tolerate. @The Late Night Gourmet trips me out with his fixation on Habaneras. I can not eat food that requires a Haz-Mat suit to prepare.:laugh:

I used to grow hab's, pickle them, and eat them whole with a sandwich. Not anymore. They'd probably kill me if I tried it today.

Another chilli lover here... I buy anything I haven't seen before. :laugh:

The American style chilli/hot sauces are becoming increasingly popular here with BBQ rib, brisket, fried brisket, pulled pork, burger, mac & cheese, coleslaw, fries etc being the common menu items at the joints that are sprouting like 'shrooms here. Even 3 hours out of Sydney we've just recently had one open.

I've always loved Tabasco. It's the only one that's been readily available until the last 10 years or so.

I made a pineapple mango habanero sauce a few years back, we've just recently run out. It was delicious.

I'm going to experiment with a fresh green sauce with lots of coriander as soon as I get the chance.

Jalapeno is about as hot as I can tolerate.

The jalapenos I can buy in supermarkets here seem very mild to me. I can easily eat one whole on its own. I don't know if that is how they are supposed to be (they have only recently been available in supermarkets here). I did use some to make a great hot (not so hot!) sauce by cooking down with sharp green apple and then blitzing.

I've always loved Tabasco.

Tabasco is an example of marketing genius. The plant is 20 miles from my home. I have visited many times. MREs (meals ready to eat) used by the US military all contain a small bottle of Tabasco Sauce. The original Tabasco Sauce it the just a small portion of their product line. Originally a small family business that exploded into an international phenomenon.

Much improved over the '88 versions. Some are very tasty - considering. The Tabasco helps.

We were working in the jungle 20 hours a day. One to two of our meals a day consisted of MRE's from the late 60's and 70's. It was some of the worse stuff I have ever eaten. We got paid a ton for being there. I don't think it was worth it

Back
Top Bottom