How Do You Decide When To Eat?

How Do You *Usually* Decide When To Eat?

• I eat at traditional meal times (morning for breakfast, noon for lunch, evening for dinner)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I eat at regular intervals (example: every 3 hours)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I eat when I get hungry

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I eat one big meal and then have small things the rest of the day

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I am usually eating something or other (whether it's a meal or a snack)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (but please not "a mix of the other answers")

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:35 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
This may sound like a silly question, but it's not. If ancient people were asked when they eat, they might say that they eat when they're hungry. It's how the system is designed, after all: hunger impulses trigger a desire to eat.

But, in the modern world, things don't typically play out that way. Most people fall into patterns where they usually look to eat at certain times, or usually have a way of managing their intake. This might be due to your schedule (I eat lunch at my desk, but not everyone has a job that allows that), or dietary preference.

I'm mostly interested in what you USUALLY do. There are always going to be times where you skip a meal or eat at non-traditional times out of necessity. So, please don't use "Other" to mean "a mixture of the other choices", otherwise we'd all pick that, and what fun would that be?

I ticked 'other' because I eat very little if anything all day (just tastes, when cooking to adjust seasonings, that's all). At night just one small meal. I eat very little compared to most people.

I try to eat at regular intervals to keep myself nourished. Not every three hours, though. Sometimes, life gets in the way, & I wind up eating when I'm hungry or have the time.

I ticked 'other' because I eat very little if anything all day (just tastes, when cooking to adjust seasonings, that's all). At night just one small meal. I eat very little compared to most people.
Oh, I see...you just cook the food, but you don't it? As prolific as you are, I figured you'd eat something occasionally. :laugh:

Oh, I see...you just cook the food, but you don't it? As prolific as you are, I figured you'd eat something occasionally. :laugh:

Yep! Mainly I cook - but I do always taste it to make sure it works. Just a little taste. If I eat in the day I lose interest in cooking anything. The only exception to the eating pattern is if I go out to lunch to a special restaurant.

Stomach reflux means I'm pretty irregular with eating. Mainly a med to big meal at night, although only 3 nights, then 3 or 4 light meals at night. Never been a brekky type eater. Something around 12 or 1, bit of toast and cup of tea.
Sunday dinners always a good meal with kids here.

Russ

I also ticked "Other". Since most of my food consumption happens at work, my timing is dictated by "what fires I am putting out". Also, dictated by the number of meetings I am scheduled for.

Yep! Mainly I cook - but I do always taste it to make sure it works. Just a little taste. If I eat in the day I lose interest in cooking anything. The only exception to the eating pattern is if I go out to lunch to a special restaurant.

I agree with @The Late Night Gourmet. How can someone who cooks all that fabulous food we see here on CookingBites, only nibble on it?

Maybe the trick is those coffee infused eggs? (still loving that photo!) :watching:

My wife is typical Thai. She grazes.

I agree with @The Late Night Gourmet. How can someone who cooks all that fabulous food we see here on CookingBites, only nibble on it?

Maybe the trick is those coffee infused eggs? (still loving that photo!) :watching:

I've heard a lot of top chefs cooking fancy foods in restaurants don't really eat much whilst cooking and then when they stop work they go for kebab!

My wife is typical Thai. She grazes.

Yes - it does seem to be a completely different approach to food in Thailand. Its almost a snack culture with an endless supply of delicious food made in front of you on street stalls to eat there (or take away). As you once mentioned, some Thais don't even have a kitchen.

Many rural Thais don't have kitchens. A coke fired barbecue outside suffices for meat (generally chicken, pork as a treat). Many now have rice cookers also (with the recent advent of electricity). In fact everyone and his dog has a rice cooker!

I spent several years trying to give myself a regulation with food, when stress made itself felt with a certain insistence, I ate often and in a wicked way to "push it away". The food was my outlet, and this was more a nervous hunger than a real appetite, with the consequence of not having hours or knowing how to adjust with the quantities.
Over the years, I have broadly changed this habit, giving me schedules and trying to respect them, even if with some exceptions due to commitments, not eating too much or too little, while allowing me some 'overtime' gluttony when I really want, or maybe as a reward to my constancy ... or maybe because I'm just fine and that chocolate is just a cuddle.
Do I eat when I'm hungry? Yup.
Can I always eat when I'm hungry? Not always, but I try to 'break' it with some snacks like fruit or vegetables and then, depending on the time, I decide what is better to eat later.
I'm not hungry and should I eat the same something? Ditto as above.

Back
Top Bottom