How do you like your steak done?

I guess cooking a good well done steak is probably one of the more difficult skills to learn
As I pointed out it really isn't very difficult [especially for a professional chef in a commercial kitchen - even I have mastered it at home and I am definitely NOT a brilliant cook]. I'm afraid this is one of my bug bears so sorry for going on but I stick to my guns about many people never having had the choice and simply accepting the story put about by bad/lazy chefs that well done = tough old boot.
I accept that perhaps juicy wasn't the correct word however - perhaps tender might be nearer the mark ?
I also maintain that pink, red or 'bloody' is just not acceptable to some of us and if more people ordered what they wanted and not what they felt they must [and sent it back if it was unsatisfactory or badly overcooked] many more would be enjoying well cooked steak.
PS - Sorry for the rant but I and several of my friends prefer well done steaks but often don't bother to order it as too many restaurants think that 'Oh he wants it well done - anything will do, just leave it burn on the grill for half an hour'. Sad but often true I suspect.

I don't want to be feasting on a bloody slab of meat, nor do I want to have to try to chew through shoe-leather. Simple!

&, oh god... to this day... one of the tastiest things I have ever ate, was a steak cooked by a brilliant chef, partied with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and a homemade pan-gravy. Insanity. And, I have never been a big steak person. Man. I honestly just made my own mouth water.

WHERE'S THE BEEF?!

:wink:

-J

You have to also take into consideration the cut of steak and if the restaurant you are ordering it from specializes in cooking steaks. Some restaurants may not have the equipment to sear a steak at a high enough temperature to make even a well done come out remotely tender. In addition, the nicer steak houses, which that is their specialty, often dry age their steaks - a process which also contributes to the extra flavor and tenderness of the meat, but at the added expense of having to shave off some of the exterior of the meat during the process, hence one of the reasons of the higher cost.

It's kind of silly to go to a local Applebees or TGI Fridays and order a NY Strip or Filet Mignon well done, then complain when your meat comes out dry as a bone. Let's be real here, they're not steak houses with trained chefs and high end equipment, it's just minimum wage line cooks, taking a basic thawed steak and throwing it on a gas grill and cooking it to an approximate temperature. They usually judge the "doneness" based on feeling the meat - there's no instant read thermometers, no screaming hot wood fired grills, etc...

Depending on where I'm ordering it from, I generally just ask for medium. If it's a higher end steak house I may specify medium rare - but even then, medium rare doesn't allow enough time for the fat to render so it may be "bloody" but it can also still be chewy because the fat hasn't rendered off much during the limited cooking time.

As my parents used to say "if the food isn't done then why even cook it?". You can guess that I like my steak well done and no other way. I know that some love it rare and various other ways. Though, I feel like eating something rare isn't something very appealing.

Well I have not had any steaks in a while but like I believe I said before, I like my steak very, very well done. It could border on the shoe leather someone spoke about in an earlier post. I have no desire for all these juices although juices with a well done steak is cooking perfection from a lay person like me point of view.

It's kind of silly to go to a local Applebees or TGI Fridays and order a NY Strip or Filet Mignon well done, then complain when your meat comes out dry as a bone. Let's be real here, they're not steak houses with trained chefs and high end equipment,
Again sorry but no. Like I said it is NOT difficult and really does NOT require any great skill or expensive equipment. Since when was a cast iron pan high end equipment ? If it can be done by me [Mr average - poor cook then it really isn't hard]. I suggest that if a restaurant agrees to produce a meal then they should do so - if they can't then a note on the menu to the effect of 'we don't do well done steaks as we can't be bothered taking five minutes extra time over your meal' is appropriate. After all if you ordered wine and they brought beer 'because it was nearer' you wouldn't be too happy.
To anyone who wants to try it's simple
1 - put the [iron] grill pan on the heat and leave it there until it is SOOO hot [this is the scary bit at home and no I won't be held responsible if you burn your house down]
2 - pop on the steak and sear the outside on every side [only requires a few seconds] . This seals the juices in and prevents the boot leather syndrome.
3 - remove from pan and cook through at a much lower temperature. This is the only tricky bit as you have to estimate when cooked - even with the outside sealed too long can still dry it out. It might take a trial or two [but not years of training] but if you weigh the steak for those experiments then you soon 'get it right'. Even so I do mean only a couple of experiments and it's not hard to get it right first time.

You most certainly do not require expensive cuts of beef [in fact the average cuts are better as they tend to have a little more fat anyway - although I agree that any old rubbish is no good, this is a steak you are cooking here not roadkill].
PS - Steak can be done this way on a camp fire or BBQ too. Sear it on the glowing embers [or close to the coals] them move away for the cooking

My husband usually prepares the steak in our house and he makes then perfect every time. I like mine extremely well done and it comes out great. The steaks he prepares are much better then most that I have ordered at restaurants.

For me, it really depends on the thickness of the steak. If the steak is thinner and will be easier to chew, I prefer well done. If it is a thick steak and I am afraid it will be tough if it is well done, I ask for medium well. Even then, I will sometimes cut around the pink area of the steak and only eat the areas that look more done. I have had food poisoning before and I am always nervous about eating any meat that is not cooked through.

steak is one of my all-time favorites! but i agree it costs too much to order when eating out!
i have mine medium-rare, i also hate blood on the plate but as long as the steak has been allowed to rest after cooking then it shouldnt be a problem. my husband loves when i do steak with garlic butter dip and muchrooms fried with streaky bacon, yummy!

My husband usually prepares the steak in our house and he makes then perfect every time. I like mine extremely well done and it comes out great. The steaks he prepares are much better then most that I have ordered at restaurants.
Perfect ! I rest my case
steak with garlic butter dip and muchrooms fried with streaky bacon, yummy!
Sounds good to me too !

I usually get my steaks medium well, which translates to thoroughly cooked but with a bit of pink on the inside. I used to order them well done until I noticed the shoe leather phenomenon in restaurants. Medium well to me is the best of both worlds. That is how I cook it at home too. I don't eat steak often though...I always feel like I am going to choke on it., just a phobia of mine!

I've had the same experience. I've had well done steaks at restaurants that were amazingly tender and delicious, and then others that tasted like a WWII boot. Because of that, I now order mine medium well. If it's not cooked enough, I will send it back, but that doesn't often happen, since it seems most are overcooked, rather than undercooked. I will one day have a cast iron pan for cooking steaks at home, because I love the idea of being able to get a really nice sear, but it just seems impossible with my current pans.

I like mine medium rare to medium. I used to eat very rare meat but not so much any more. I can even stand it a bit more done, depending on the cut (and really on who's preparing it, as some have different definitions of medium). I just don't want all the flavor and tenderness cooked out of it.

When cooking inside, I make the steaks. I usually sear them on both sides in a preheated, cast iron skillet, and finish them off for a minute in the broiler. They come out nice that way.

My husband is the grill master though. He cooks steaks to perfection as well. We usually do the nicer cuts on the grill.

I love the idea of being able to get a really nice sear, but it just seems impossible with my current pans.
You need cast iron, nothing else will stand the heat [and retain it] well enough to do the job. Sadly if you have and electric cooker forget it - the ring will burn out before the temperature is enough. :cry:
I just don't want all the flavor and tenderness cooked out of it.
No need for that - find someone who can give you a properly cooked well done steak and you will be very pleasantly surprised.
When cooking inside, I make the steaks. I usually sear them on both sides in a preheated, cast iron skillet, and finish them off for a minute in the broiler. They come out nice that way.
Exactly !! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom