How do you like your steak done?

You need cast iron, nothing else will stand the heat [and retain it] well enough to do the job. Sadly if you have and electric cooker forget it - the ring will burn out before the temperature is enough. :cry:

No need for that - find someone who can give you a properly cooked well done steak and you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Exactly !! :thumbsup:
I usually eat mine medium well. I don't care for foods with pink oozing middles. I know most people prefer their steak on the rare side, and I don't mind if their is a bit of pink left..but..in terms of blood or lots of pink you can have it. I don't eat steak very often anyway because I have an irrational fear that I will choke. Once in a while, a good steak on the grill is something I enjoy though.

I know this question has been asked before but when I looked back it was quite some time ago and it was before I joined this group. When you are ordering a steak or preparing one how do you like it? My husband likes his medium rare but I prefer mine to be well done. I don't like any blood in my meat. There is nothing that grosses me out more then blood running into my mashed potatoes or veggies. Ewwww...

We don't have steak often but I am thinking we may have it today for dinner. I like it fried up with lots of mushrooms, onions and peppers. Also going to have a baked potato with broccoli and some of my sister's homemade pickles. I prefer my steak cooked on the grill outside but this time of year that isn't going to happen.

I’m like you in that I prefer my meat to be well done. But when I go out to dinner, I will order medium rare. The reason I will order medium rare is the waitress told us that the steak is very moist and tender at this state. If it’s well done, it has the tendency to be a bit dry.

the red liquid running out of your steak is not really blood. the major amount of blood is lost during slaughter. then the meat hangs for at least 1 day to 2 weeks before it is cut up, where the remainder actually is lost. there is actually so little blood left in the muscle tissue of the meat most of what you see is actually water. (ugly but water mostly) that being said. I like my steak medium Rare! here is a good article about the "Blood" that is running around your plate.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/

I like my steak anywhere from rare to medium rare. I feel like medium rare is the best mix of taste and tenderness. The red color of a steak is not actually blood, its myoglobin. Its just colored red. Think of it as meat juice. The blood is all drained up when the meat is processed. Personally, the best steak I ever had was closer to rare than medium rare. A big reason was because me and my mom made it, and my inexperience in cooking meant that the steak was a bit less cooked than I wanted it to be. However, it tasted better than it would have if it was cooked as "I wanted it to be," if that makes sense. Now, it was a beef wellington so I am not sure if the steak itself was the reason why I thought it was the best steak I ever had, and my mom did a lot more than I did, but it was delicious. Overall, I'd say that rare-medium rare is definitely my preference.

I’m like you in that I prefer my meat to be well done. But when I go out to dinner, I will order medium rare. The reason I will order medium rare is the waitress told us that the steak is very moist and tender at this state. If it’s well done, it has the tendency to be a bit dry.
She's lying - as I have stated before it's an excuse for a poor [or lazy] chef. Find a place with a chef who can COOK a steak and you will be surprised. I'm happy for anyone to eat steak anyway they want BUT I get tired of the 'well done = boot leather' rubbish. All I ask is that you try a PROPERLY cooked well done steak before you decide, [and yes it may take a little finding as the 'leather' fallacy runs deep].

@sidevalve I'm tired of people giving me death stares when I ask for well done steak. I get this look all the time and people seem to think that a well done steak is a crime against humanity. It doesnt have to taste tough if it is cooked right. I have a well seasoned cast iron skillet and it cooks my steak perfectly when I need it to. And no it does not taste like leather, it is delicious.

My husband and I both prefer our steaks well done. I can eat it if there's a tiny bit of pink but don't push it. I remember going out to eat one night a couple of years ago and we were seated practically in the middle of the restaurant with other tables surrounding us. One table next to us started receiving their plates and we noticed their steaks were red. Not pink, not medium well, not even medium rare. I believe the term is called blue steak? This is the odd part as soon other tables started getting their food and several people had ordered their steaks the same way. I completely understand people have different tastes, if we all liked and disliked the same things it would be pretty dull. But this totally grossed me out to be honest.

My husband and I both prefer our steaks well done. I can eat it if there's a tiny bit of pink but don't push it. I remember going out to eat one night a couple of years ago and we were seated practically in the middle of the restaurant with other tables surrounding us. One table next to us started receiving their plates and we noticed their steaks were red. Not pink, not medium well, not even medium rare. I believe the term is called blue steak? This is the odd part as soon other tables started getting their food and several people had ordered their steaks the same way. I completely understand people have different tastes, if we all liked and disliked the same things it would be pretty dull. But this totally grossed me out to be honest.

Yeah, blue steak is simply having the meat browned but the inside is completely raw. The restaurant didn't ask for your preference? That is strange really. Every steakhouse and even some restaurants that served many different foods would always ask for my preference whether. If not, it would usually come medium rare. And yes I agree with you. When the steak is that raw it completely grosses me out. I've butchered meat and that makes me feel even more grossed out. Apparently it is completely safe to eat though. And is in now way harmful at all.

Medium rare.

This fillet with roast potatoes, tomato and king oyster mushrooms (and English mustard, of course).

fillet%20sept%201_zpsryi16ffv.jpg

Yorky,
You are making me want a good steak.

Up until about 4 months ago it was virtually impossible to obtain a decent steak here in Nakhorn Nowhere. Then a local food supplier started importing those pictured.

Back
Top Bottom