How do you make Tabbouleh?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:44 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see how this is that much different from my rice salad with the sole exception that I make a vinaigrette sauce rather than just using lemon. Think I'm missing the point of Tabbouleh!

Neither of these dishes (delicious as they may be) look like a 'traditional' tabbouleh where everything is chopped very finely. Are you following a recipe?

Yes, and never has it said chop finely, nor has the picture shown it chopped finely.

Far as I know that is the whole point of tabbouleh. The finely chopped herbs and small grain intermingle in a way that doesn't happen with a regular mixed grain salad. I was looking at a recipe in the new cookery book I got (the one I'm cooking from for the Cookery Book challenge) and it mentions this quite specifically. Also - I've eaten it in Egypt and it was most definitely finely chopped. It should look something like this:

FWIW .. I started making tabbouleh in the late 1970s (when you had to soak the bulghur for at least an hour). I've been making it for 40 years and I don't think that I've ever followed a 'recipe' .. there are some 'recipe suggestions' in David Scott's excellent "Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookery" book (which I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum) which I've occasionally looked at.

Here's one I made last July - and it was very good. It looks completely different to the other images posted above .. but no less good as far as I'm concerned.

I usually buy it from the deli, but we don't eat it very often.

I've made it twice. Both recipes I've used (American sources) show what I'd consider a medium to fine chop of the veggies.

One recipe is really simple as far as the knife work required; parsley, mint, and tomatoes. In that one, the herbs are chopped fine and it specifies a 1/2-inch dice on the tomato.

The second one adds dill, red bell pepper, onion, and cucumber, and the picture shows a 1/4-inch dice on the veggies, so fairly fine on that as well.

When I get it from the deli, it's chopped fine.

. Think I'm missing the point of Tabbouleh!

Maybe I can't see it because of all the things on top, but I always thought tabbouleh was as much or maybe even more about the green herbs as the grains? And it doesn't look like there are that many herbs in there, and then you mentioned later about using 3 packets?

Don't get me wrong, the salads look great to me. I've only made it once and never made again because Craig didn't like it, he's not big on grains or that many herbs, so I'm certainly not an authority, just remember it being greener when I made it and when I've seen it made on TV.

I always thought tabbouleh was as much or maybe even more about the green herbs as the grains?

That's right - it traditionally features a lot of finely chopped parsley.

As Yotam Ottolenghi says in his book Jerusalem. "In the Middle East, tabbouleh, as is not always understood in the west, is all about parsley … this is essentially a parsley salad, not a bulgar salad".

it traditionally features a lot of finely chopped parsley.

How nice to know that we're now going to respect 'tradition'.

Can you please remind me who proposed making a vegan Carbonara?

Either you respect tradition or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

There's plenty of scope to exercise some initiative/imagination when making tabbouleh whilst still staying close to the spirit of the dish.

Maybe I can't see it because of all the things on top, but I always thought tabbouleh was as much or maybe even more about the green herbs as the grains?
That's exactly why we don't eat it very often. Parsley's a great garnish, but not something either one of us cares for as a predominant flavor. Same with mint. Good in small doses.

I used to make that when I worked for a catering company! I think I'll get back into it. It tasted so good!!:wink:

I had a Persian neighbor for several years who made tabbouleh regularly. He always made extra for me. His was always finely diced. Good stuff.

CD

Back
Top Bottom