How important are sauces to you?

How important are sauces to you?

• Very important - I can't enjoy a dish without some sort of sauce.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Somewhat important - some dishes are good without a sauce (but better with it).

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Neutral - Whether or not there's a sauce isn't important to me.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Unimportant - Dishes shouldn't need sauces: they should stand on their own.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anti-Sauce - I hate sauces. If I see you trying to use a sauce, I will knock it out of your hand.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Is salad dressing a sauce? How about the liquid/ gravy in a soup, gumbo, stew or braise? Are salsas chunky sauces?

I respectfully disagree. Most 'muricans put sauce on everything.

Even my wife, the Mrs. Sprat to my Jack if fat were sauces, has become a recent convert.

She is the queen of plain cooking. Just s&p on extremely lean meats, simply grilled or pan fried (in as little fat as pissible) and plain steamed or roasted veggies.

But after many years of me asking her to try something, she's started to try the sauces I've introduced to her on those plain meats and veggies. Everything from bbq, to curried mango, to various mustard sauces, or compund butters/butter sauces, or flavoured sour cream and yoghurt, or even milder hot sauces.

I hopefully willl be cooking down some balsamic vinegar this week to be used as a drizzle/finishing sauce for those extra plainly grilled chicken she so often requests.

I said that based on some sites I'm on where the only sauce is a BBQ sauce or cooking baste. And just s and p.

Russ

Is gravy a sauce? If so, I LOVE SAUCES

I agree. A meat pie without gravy would be inedible to me. I occasionally cook "dry" vegetable curries but they will always accompany another curry with sauce. If prepared mustard is considered a sauce then beef steak and cooked ham almost always have it in my house.

In this household even before my op most dishes that were not casseroles, stews or soups, featured a sauce of some type ,except for my salads which usually came with a couple of dressings or mayo style sauces.

Since my op I can only eat 'moist' food, so everything needs to come with a sauce now even if it is only soy sauce to go over the vegetable or avocado sushi to make the rice moist enough for me to eat .

So sauces feature quite a lot in this household and are an important part of the meal. They enable me to vary the flavour of the same core ingredients .

Sauces are very important when needed and not important at all when they aren't. So i have no idea what to answer in the poll. Plus i don't like gravy but love barbq sauce and i think salad dressing is a sauce

I just remembered a gravy/sauce story. I was working at a fast food place in my much younger years and the guy at the ordering window orders fries but wants brown gravy for them... now i'm from the U.S. south and i had never heard of brown gravy ever being something that you'd think would be available for fench fries...its not a thing down here...but i was sure it was some weird dish that some snowbird had thought up but i am a fast thinker sometimes and maybe a little bit of a smartass...so i told him, "no, we had no brown gravy but i could offer him a spectactular red sauce" said while dangling a ketchup package from my fingers.":D

I just remembered a gravy/sauce story. I was working at a fast food place in my much younger years and the guy at the ordering window orders fries but wants brown gravy for them... now i'm from the U.S. south and i had never heard of brown gravy ever being something that you'd think would be available for fench fries...its not a thing down here...but i was sure it was some weird dish that some snowbird had thought up but i am a fast thinker sometimes and maybe a little bit of a smartass...so i told him, "no, we had no brown gravy but i could offer him a spectactular red sauce" said while dangling a ketchup package from my fingers.":D

As far as I know, gravy (brown or otherwise) on chips is a Manchester (and probably the whole of Lancashire) habit.

The next customer in line was amused and told me its a eastern seaboard thing...oh and the customer wanting the brown gravy did not take me up on the red sauce.

Gravy is usually made with meat juices and stock, sauces can be made with pretty much anything.

Is salad dressing a sauce? How about the liquid/ gravy in a soup, gumbo, stew or braise? Are salsas chunky sauces?

I would class a dressing as just that, a light drizzle over a salad or suchlike, I personally wouldn't class it as sauce or gravy, but that is just my point of view.

Back
Top Bottom