How many of you have an ice maker?

The first or second time that I visited Nakhorn Nowhere (prior to setting up home here) I was in a bar that advertised a small beer at Bht 15.00. I ordered one. The waitress brought a small bottle of beer, a tiny glass and a large bucket of ice (which I discovered later was Bht 30.00). I advised her that I didn't want ice and that my beer was warm. She collected the offending ice and and warm beer and returned after a few minutes with a cold beer. I drank two more and then asked for the bill. Bht 90.00! I explained that the offer (as detailed in large print on the posters) was Bht 15.00 per bottle. She explained that Bht 15.00 was for warm beer; cold beer was Bht 30.00.

I never went back.

I think probably that ice cubes are more important in the US. The climate in the UK means you don't need ice so much. The only time I ever use ice-cubes is if I'm making a cocktail or short drink like gin and tonic - and that is really not very often at all. In fact, I can't recall the last time I used any ice cubes. So having an ice maker would not be in any way useful to me. Maybe if it ever got really hot here for more than a week or so I might change my mind.

Same for me. We don't have an ice-maker incorporated in the fridge, only a little ice-cubes tray which sometimes I forget to have in the freezer. Hubby uses ice-cubes in his glass of coca-Cola on summertime whilst I use them only to refresh water..

Last edited:
I can't recall the last time I made ice cubes. I have about eight ice cube trays (from various fridges and freezers I've had over the years) but most of them are used to freeze herbs or lemon juice before putting them in plastic bags. I can't see the point in an ice dispenser in a freezer - I wouldn't use it enough to justify having one. My enormous chest freezer is too full of food even to think of trying to balance ice cube trays full of water in there.

how many times I have freezed the food close to ice-tray :laugh:

I always have an ice cube tray at home for cocktails if we wish to have one at home during Sunday Brunch or at weekend.

However, we do not use ice in wine .. For the Bucket if a Cava or White wine or Prosecco was bought that same day ..

Our red wines are always room temperature ..

We are not beer drinkers however, we do keep 12 bottles cold in frig just in case we have Company on spur of momento .. No ice in beer !

@MypinchofItaly

Ha Ha .. So you have frozen or froze food next to the ice trays !

I keep on 1 side .. so no food can sit on top or it cannot topple over or the food can stick to the ice tray !!!

I just bought some new ice cube trays .. They are more flexible -- Rubbermaid type and not stiff and with square cubes ..

These are different shapes .. Nice ! Got them in Tiger - a Danish Franchise ..

Ciao .. Have a lovely day ..

I always have an ice cube tray at home for cocktails if we wish to have one at home during Sunday Brunch or at weekend.

However, we do not use ice in wine .. For the Bucket if a Cava or White wine or Prosecco was bought that same day ..

Our red wines are always room temperature ..

We are not beer drinkers however, we do keep 12 bottles cold in frig just in case we have Company on spur of momento .. No ice in beer !

@MypinchofItaly

Ha Ha .. So you have frozen or froze food next to the ice trays !

I keep on 1 side .. so no food can sit on top or it cannot topple over or the food can stick to the ice tray !!!

I just bought some new ice cube trays .. They are more flexible -- Rubbermaid type and not stiff and with square cubes ..

These are different shapes .. Nice ! Got them in Tiger - a Danish Franchise ..

Ciao .. Have a lovely day ..

Hahaha, I've read what I've written...of course freezed food, it's a freezer! I meant that I often pour water in the ice-tray near food trying to balance it.....

I think probably that ice cubes are more important in the US. The climate in the UK means you don't need ice so much. The only time I ever use ice-cubes is if I'm making a cocktail or short drink like gin and tonic - and that is really not very often at all. In fact, I can't recall the last time I used any ice cubes. So having an ice maker would not be in any way useful to me. Maybe if it ever got really hot here for more than a week or so I might change my mind.

Same here.

We just have an ice cube tray in the freezer. Rarely gets used at this time of year.

(Yorky never, ever, ever puts ice cubes in beer!)
Exactly!

I don't like the way ice cubes dilute my drink. So I have some plastic reusable ice cubes that I wash after use and store in a plastic box to keep them clean in the freezer.

I also use the ice cube bags that come on a roll. They are so easy to store and use. No mess.
I even use them to freeze left over fresh lemon juice.

Same here.

Exactly!

I don't like the way ice cubes dilute my drink. So I have some plastic reusable ice cubes that I wash after use and store in a plastic box to keep them clean in the freezer.

I also use the ice cube bags that come on a roll. They are so easy to store and use. No mess.
I even use them to freeze left over fresh lemon juice.

@Kake Lover

Good idea ..

Thank you for mentioning .. Have a nice weekend ..

Back
Top Bottom