How often do you clean your grill?

Local time
3:23 PM
I know that a lot of the germs are killed due to the high heat, but how often is it necessary to clean a grill? I don't mean just with a brush, I mean thoroughly cleaning it. We honestly don't do it here that much, maybe once or twice a summer, and I feel like we should be doing it more. Bits and pieces of food are bound to get stuck places, and a brush can only do so much. How often do you recommend cleaning an outdoor grill?

I personally do not use it that much so I probably clean it once in 4 months. Whenever I see that it's dirty I will attempt to clean it but I am not too fond of scrubbing because my hands ache from it :D How often you should clean an outdoor grill really depends on how often you use it. If you use it lets say twice a week, then you should definitely clean it weekly.

I toast my bread everyday so I give mine a good clean every week.

A few of the answers surprised me. I clean my grill every time I use it, and usually twice. I clean my grill immediately upon finishing cooking. I like to clean it while it is still hot before the foods lock onto the grill. I take it over to my outdoor sink and use my steel brush along with soapy dishwater to scrub it clean before storing it back on the cooker.

I clean the grill just before cooking, too. Since I store the grill back in the cooker, I like to take it back over to the sink for a quick wipe down and rinse before I start cooking. I usually brush a little olive oil on the grill once it gets hot before I start adding food to keep the food from sticking as severely to the grill surface.

I have found by cleaning the grill consistently, I have less trouble with food sticking on the grill and cleanup only takes a few moments. Back in the era when I waited to clean my grill, it seemed to take forever to grind off all the dried on gunk.

I don't use the grill much but generally, for me, indoor cooker grills are cleaned after every use, unless it is just bread crumbs from toast.

BBQ grills are cleaned before and after each use.

I have seen grills left with bits of fat and meat still stuck to the grills when they are put away for the winter. They are then used 'as is' with just the 'lumps' scrapped off when the heat turns them to charcoal.

A few times I have seen food served from the grill with last year's 'lumps' stuck to it!

Grills need cleaning??

But seriously, I always forget until the next time I use it :/

wow some of you really clean it every time.... don't you think it's overdoing it a little?
I clean it at the beginning of the summer, maybe once or twice during the bbq season and then obviously when I put it away for winter. So an average of roughly 3 times a year.

wow some of you really clean it every time.... don't you think it's overdoing it a little?
I clean it at the beginning of the summer, maybe once or twice during the bbq season and then obviously when I put it away for winter. So an average of roughly 3 times a year.

How often do you clean a frying pan then? :whistling:

To be fair, a grill is closer to an oven than a frying pan, surely?

::wonders if she should be cleaning the oven every time as well::

I think people might be confusing two sorts of grill!

To Brits, the grill is the bit of the oven with a direct downward pointing heatsource (electric element or gas), for making toast and stuff. You might clean the pan the toast sits on, but only if you've had cheese or something on the toast to drip down.

I think some people are talking about BBQ grills....

So why don't you do the same with the grill?

Because
1. Cleaning the whole grill properly would take what? 20-30 minutes?
2. I really don't think it's necessary to clean it every single time.

I'm with zestery on this one, I don't clean my oven either after each use. Nor do I clean the floor behind me while I walk in the house.

Back
Top Bottom